Is My Motherboard Compatible With My GPU?

Hi there I have a M5A78L-M motherboard and am trying to save up for the computer parts on this list http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/TLvtpb (it is updated so whatever is not on this list that you think I need has already been bought) but I thought that I should have started with the graphics card and im going to try and buy that next. only problem is that is that im buying the parts individually so they will come in at different times. (im buying the motherboard, ram and cpu after the graphics card) but I dont know if the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Strix Video Card  that im trying to buy is compatible with my current motherboard? the M5A78L-m usb3 motherboard. does anyone know if I can use this graphics card with this motherboard?

yes almost every GPU is compatible with and motherboard but you need to remove the hard drive bays in your case order to put your graphics card so if you want to put hard drives in you pc i suggest you change the case

I mean, the M5A78L-m has one PCI-E x16 slot on it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

What CPU are you using with that Motherboard currently?

No reason why it wouldn't be. The only thing is that you have put an overclocking motherboard with a non-K CPU. You need a K CPU to overclock (Unless you want to try to mess with the BIOS). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

woa thanks for that, im still rather new to the PC building thing and didn't know to much about that case!!! thanks. Also it says something about a pci 2.0 on my motherboard but the gpu is PCI3.0. will this change weather or not its compatible with my motherboard?

1 minute ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I mean, the M5A78L-m has one PCI-E x16 slot on it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

amd 6500

2 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

or it might be the amd6500k

5 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hi there I have a M5A78L-M motherboard and am trying to save up for the computer parts on this list http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/TLvtpb (it is updated so whatever is not on this list that you think I need has already been bought) but I thought that I should have started with the graphics card and im going to try and buy that next. only problem is that is that im buying the parts individually so they will come in at different times. (im buying the motherboard, ram and cpu after the graphics card) but I dont know if the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Strix Video Card  that im trying to buy is compatible with my current motherboard? the M5A78L-m usb3 motherboard. does anyone know if I can use this graphics card with this motherboard?

that is really expensive for a 1060. Asus seems to be putting up their prices this time round 

Take a look at the following link to see what other cards are going for

http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?l=s279357872

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

1 minute ago, astrosheen said:

that is really expensive for a 1060. Asus seems to be putting up their prices this time round 

Take a look at the following link to see what other cards are going for

http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?l=s279357872

wow man i love the people on this website!!! you just saved me like $150 dollars man!!! thanks!!!

Just now, MasterLow said:

wow man i love the people on this website!!! you just saved me like $150 dollars man!!! thanks!!!

:-)

Out of those cards i'd recommend the EVGA or gigabyte windforce but stock seems to be an issue

:-(

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

1 minute ago, astrosheen said:

:-)

Out of those cards i'd recommend the EVGA or gigabyte windforce but stock seems to be an issue

:-(

na thats alright man cause i found PBtech to always have what you need in stock so ill buy the gigabyte windforce x2 GPU. thanks for that link!

1 minute ago, MasterLow said:

na thats alright man cause i found PBtech to always have what you need in stock so ill buy the gigabyte windforce x2 GPU. thanks for that link!

enjoy

5 hours ago, MasterLow said:

woa thanks for that, im still rather new to the PC building thing and didn't know to much about that case!!! thanks. Also it says something about a pci 2.0 on my motherboard but the gpu is PCI3.0. will this change weather or not its compatible with my motherboard?

The card will work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, but it will work (and I don't know if that will make any difference, it used to be the case that PCIe 2.0 had enough bandwidth for existing GPUs, not sure the latest cards benefit a lot more from 3.0).