CPU for Linux Gaming (+VM of Windows)

I am currently looking for a CPU strong enough to run tough games through VMWare for a Windows 7 VM. (i.e. games that will not work in wine, due to 64-bit and DX11) I am currently looking at this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ykphP6/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox but if anyone has something better, please let me know.

Also, big note:

I am looking for upgrade capability in the future. I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard, to use a new CPU if at all possible.

3 minutes ago, Rapidcheetah said:

I am currently looking for a CPU strong enough to run tough games through VMWare for a Windows 7 VM. (i.e. games that will not work in wine, due to 64-bit and DX11) I am currently looking at this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ykphP6/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox but if anyone has something better, please let me know.

Also, big note:

I am looking for upgrade capability in the future. I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard, to use a new CPU if at all possible.

that looks decent but why cant you just dual boot windows 7 with linux? games will run like shit in vmware, plus you wont be able to use all 8 cores, all of your ram or your gpu to its full capability. if you have enough money go for the 9590 tho, ir even better, get something newer like haswell since vishera came out about 5 years ago

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

that looks decent but why cant you just dual boot windows 7 with linux? games will run like shit in vmware, plus you wont be able to use all 8 cores, all of your ram or your gpu to its full capability. if you have enough money go for the 9590 tho, ir even better, get something newer like haswell since vishera came out about 5 years ago

I did that once, but Windows shot, slaughtered and spread out the pieces of Linux overnight. Linux was no longer bootable and I am lucky Grub still worked so I could at least boot into Windows due to it rewriting the boot manager. 

I'd dual boot instead of making virtual machines. The FX Line has a poor single core performance, but if you are running a virtual machines for gaming along side Linux, it is probably the best CPU choice for money without going used.

Just now, Rapidcheetah said:

I did that once, but Windows shot, slaughtered and spread out the pieces of Linux overnight. Linux was no longer bootable and I am lucky Grub still worked so I could at least boot into Windows due to it rewriting the boot manager. 

install windows and then linux. make sure to install on different partitions tho

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

Just now, imPixelTV said:

install windows and then linux. make sure to install on different partitions tho

That is exactly what I did. 

That is exactly what I did. 

did you install them on the same partition

bregsit

Spoiler

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

did you install them on the same partition

No, I separated the two. Windows booted on my SSD and Linux on my HDD and also separated the partitions.  

No, I separated the two. Windows booted on my SSD and Linux on my HDD and also separated the partitions.  

try having them both on the same drive

bregsit

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I'd dual boot instead of making virtual machines. The FX Line has a poor single core performance, but if you are running a virtual machines for gaming along side Linux, it is probably the best CPU choice for money without going used.

I attempted dual booting in the past. However, windows replaced grub and rewrote the boot sector so whenever I attempted to boot into Ubuntu, my system crashed.

1 minute ago, Rapidcheetah said:

I attempted dual booting in the past. However, windows replaced grub and rewrote the boot sector so whenever I attempted to boot into Ubuntu, my system crashed.

thats never happened to me so i dunno what to suggest. sorry

bregsit

Spoiler

Just now, imPixelTV said:

thats never happened to me so i dunno what to suggest. sorry

Well, thanks for trying. xD

Well, thanks for trying. xD

lol np, if worst comes to worst you can always ask in the linux/osx or windows forum.

bregsit

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I would add: I would go used anyway if I was building Vishera today.

24 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

No point going FX 9590, as it puts a lot of restrictions in terms of motherboards that can handle it and CPU cooling, and the only difference is the stock frequency. He can always OC an FX-8XXX to whatever his system is able to handle, be it as much as a 9590 or not.