Watercooled GTX 980Ti Vs GTX 1070 on air

I currently have an option to grab brand new GTX 980Ti Hybrid from EVGA with water cooler included. Comparing it with EVGA 1070 SC it is even cheaper, see below:

http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6173-KR

http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

How different are these two GPUs? There are tons of articles and all I can gather is that GTX 1070 does not OC well on air or at all, where I could get 15% boost in most cases on watercooled GTX 980Ti and still be around 40C delta. Other than extra 50W of power consumption on extreme load to me it seems no brainer...

For now the 980ti hybrid may perform a little bit better when both cards are overclocked to the max, however I'd still go for the 1070. Give it some time and the 1070 will be doing better than the 980ti. Nvidia has a history of neglecting previous generation cards. Then in addition to that there's the fact that Pascal-cards will do better in upcoming DX12 titles, perhaps in Vulkan games as well. I had to make this exact same choice but in the end it was fairly easy. The 1070 is a much safer choice, IMO. When it comes to overclocking, you really can't say Pascal cards don't oc well. It's just that GPU boost 3 is so damn efficient that there's little left to do yourself. With some minor tweaking pretty much any 1070 should reach 2Ghz+ on air.

Also, I wouldn't recommend hybrid cards like that anyway. If you want to put a card under water, do it right. Those AIO coolers are surprisingly loud and pump issues are very common.

Liquid cooling since 2002.

8 minutes ago, unholy_walrus said:

For now the 980ti hybrid may perform a little bit better when both cards are overclocked to the max, however I'd still go for the 1070. Give it some time and the 1070 will be doing better than the 980ti. Nvidia has a history of neglecting previous generation cards. Then in addition to that there's the fact that Pascal-cards will do better in upcoming DX12 titles, perhaps in Vulkan games as well. I had to make this exact same choice but in the end it was fairly easy. The 1070 is a much safer choice, IMO. When it comes to overclocking, you really can't say Pascal cards don't oc well. It's just that GPU boost 3 is so damn efficient that there's little left to do yourself. With some minor tweaking pretty much any 1070 should reach 2Ghz+ on air.

Also, I wouldn't recommend hybrid cards like that anyway. If you want to put a card under water, do it right. Those AIO coolers are surprisingly loud and pump issues are very common.

Thanks. I might simply use it for few weeks since I have it on returns policy and send it back. Or simply sell it away via ads. I am just a bit worried with EVGA and their SC and FTW 1070 models. They seem to be running quite hot for my taste.