Confused as to my next step

Torna

So....long story short...er....two week ago I went to restart my computer and began getting random power offs and it never made it through POST again.  On top of that I have not gotten anything but a black screen since this has started.  After starting a topic on LTT and asking lots of questions I made the choice to RMA my power supply.  When I got the first one I think it was DOA so I quickly contacted for another RMA....I just got the next RMA today.  Tested it before plugging it in.....this one seems ok.  So I plugged it in.  When I press the power button everything lights up for half a second....then dies.  Everything gets just enough power to spin my fans maybe a quarter spin.  

I am not getting far enough that I feel that I can eliminate things like memory, videocards, maybe even CPU....but I am not sure how to proceed.....how do I test my motherboard to see if it truly is the culprit of all the trouble?

GPU: 2x 980Tis

CPU: i7-4790k
Mobo: MSI Gaming 7

PSU: EVGA 1000 G2

Memory: HyperX DDR3 8GBs

Now what part of my question required any of that!?  None of that was required to figure out how to test the freaking mobo.

everything not plugged in right

bad motherboard

cpu overheating

mb grounding on chasis

Gee....thanks....I hadn't thought of that 2 freaking weeks ago.  Anyone thought of answering my question..?!?! I have a MSI Gaming 7 mobo....how do I test it!?!?!

you have three suggestions to look into without needing ANOTHER BOARD.

you can also try another outlet somewhere else in the house.

Try to take your PC to a place that works on PC's like Fry's Electronics or something and have them check to see if your mobo fried. 

My cpu is not overheating in half a second....unless the rules of physics around my computer has changed in the last two weeks.

I have changed and rechanged cables....I didn't forget how a to plug things in and a bad plugged in cable didn't start this.
My case didn't decide to suddenly start shorting thing out....or are we back to wonky physics?
I had a hamster that could have gotten hired at Fry's....
HOW DO I TEST THE MOBO!?!  I am sorry I don't know how to ask the question another way!

Then why do I own a PC....?  If I wanted to tell someone what the problem was and have them fix it I would have the blue one with the pretty picture of an apple on it.

yeah, a cpu can get too much voltage and shut down in a fraction of a second........... what of it? good luck with it.

27 minutes ago, Torna said:

Gee....thanks....I hadn't thought of that 2 freaking weeks ago.  Anyone thought of answering my question..?!?! I have a MSI Gaming 7 mobo....how do I test it!?!?!

First try the powersupply: Disconnect everything and just plug the PSU into the wall.

ATX_24pin001a1.png

Hold the 24 pin infront of you like that and find the pin that is marked green on here and shorten it with one of the black wires with a paper clip. Should be enough to just shorten it for a moment for the whole thing to run (if I remember correct; can leave it in there too though to see if it keeps running).

If that works: Get one of the cards out and try running it with the most simple setup you can have. (1 Graphics Card, 1 RAM stick). If it still does remove the graphics card. If still remove the RAM too. If it still does only power on for a quarter of a spin of a fan then you'll have to test with another board or another CPU.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

4 minutes ago, LabRat said:

yeah, a cpu can get too much voltage and shut down in a fraction of a second........... what of it? good luck with it.

Really....that would imply a mobo problem....that I would love to test for!  Wait.  I don't know how.  And Lab...you said overheat....not voltage the first time....I know either is possible but I reacted to something that is not possible by the rules of physics.

I have also tried varying setups....with little difference....hence my insistence on wanting to understand how to better test.  I have tried it all.  Over and over....I didn't ask for help after plugging things in and having it fail once.

then you need to suck it up and take it to a shop............... or buy another board and run your own test. either way it costs you money. a lot of us have been there.

2 minutes ago, Torna said:

Really....that would imply a mobo problem....that I would love to test for!  Wait.  I don't know how.  And Lab...you said overheat....not voltage the first time....I know either is possible but I reacted to something that is not possible by the rules of physics.

I have also tried varying setups....with little difference....hence my insistence on wanting to understand how to better test.  I have tried it all.  Over and over....I didn't ask for help after plugging things in and having it fail once.

If you have ruled out everything but motherboard/graphics card/CPU/RAM then unless you have a testing setup for motherboards (or spare parts to test all of the stuff with) I fear there is no better way of testing your motherboard.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

I'm sorry....I take in a computer with a custom water loop into best buy or fry's....where the average help freezes up at words like RAM or CPU or GPU.....you think I will get more help than....

"Dude....it is so pretty...!  It is broken?  Ah bummer!  So how can I help?"

Because I have zero faith that they have a clue that a DVD player shouldn't have a HDD or an SSD shouldn't have a GPU.

I have been in a Fry's and gotten the response
"The computer says we have two....I am sure they are around.....somewhere...."

Confidence building...

i was thinking of a real shop. fry's and best buy never came to mind.

how much was the board? $100?.......... how much is a low end board just to swap parts into? $40?

1 hour ago, Torna said:

So....long story short...er....two week ago I went to restart my computer and began getting random power offs and it never made it through POST again.  On top of that I have not gotten anything but a black screen since this has started.  After starting a topic on LTT and asking lots of questions I made the choice to RMA my power supply.  When I got the first one I think it was DOA so I quickly contacted for another RMA....I just got the next RMA today.  Tested it before plugging it in.....this one seems ok.  So I plugged it in.  When I press the power button everything lights up for half a second....then dies.  Everything gets just enough power to spin my fans maybe a quarter spin.  

I am not getting far enough that I feel that I can eliminate things like memory, videocards, maybe even CPU....but I am not sure how to proceed.....how do I test my motherboard to see if it truly is the culprit of all the trouble?

Have you gone to basics? Unplugged your drives; removed your ram and pulled your GPU?

If not this is how I would proceed:

Plug your monitor into the motherboard display output and try booting up. It should give you an error code for no RAM present, either visual or a beep code a the least. Then simply put one stick in at a time and see if it will pass POST with one stick. If it fails with two sticks but not one then you have bad RAM. If it fails with either stick then it's likely motherboard. If both sticks work try putting your GPU back in. If it works with your GPU then start plugging in drives one by one. Keep going from there until it resumes failing.

One thing at a time and eliminate as you go.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Your right....I didn't try that two weeks and two RMAs ago.....silly me.

9 hours ago, Torna said:

None of that was required to figure out how to test the freaking mobo.

8 hours ago, Torna said:

Gee....thanks....I hadn't thought of that 2 freaking weeks ago.  Anyone thought of answering my question..?!?!

8 hours ago, Torna said:

My cpu is not overheating in half a second....unless the rules of physics around my computer has changed in the last two weeks.

I have changed and rechanged cables....I didn't forget how a to plug things in and a bad plugged in cable didn't start this.
My case didn't decide to suddenly start shorting thing out....or are we back to wonky physics?

8 hours ago, Torna said:

I didn't ask for help after plugging things in and having it fail once.

7 hours ago, Torna said:

Your right....I didn't try that two weeks and two RMAs ago.....silly me.

You know people who ask for help should actually be nice to the people offering to help them, not be a dick about it

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches)