Weird issues when OC'ing FX-8320

So, for a while now I've had my CPU, AMD FX-8320, OC'd to 4.2 GHz stable. But I've always wanted to OC higher. Because i know my system is capable of it. So, I looked at numerous guides and gave my CPU the right amount of power and such and it ran stable at 4.8 GHz. But, this didn't happen anywhere else, in GTA V, every 30-40 seconds, my framerate would drop from the mid 70s to the 20s. I looked in MSI Afterburner and my GPU and CPU usage were being pinned at 100% for no reason! I had no clue what was happening. So, I turned my OC back to 4.2 GHz and now my cpu and gpu act perfectly fine. I don't know if its a power issue or something. I just kinda want help, because overclocking really seems to help my framerate stay above 60.

What is your motherboard and your cooler?

Or just give us your full system specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, IWannaBeInTheRoomWhereItHappens said:

Motherboard is an MSI 970 Gaming board and cooler is an H80i GT from Corsair.

Are you kidding me?, you bought a 8320 - 130 $ and H80i - $110 total = 240?, you can get much more performance out of a stock cooled 6600, which runs a lot cooler and lasts you longer (because no OC) and costs = 220 dollars.  This is  what happens when people don't do their reseach

I got the H80i from a friend. @MicrosoftCertTechnician I didn't exactly have the money for an intel processor and skylake wasn't even out yet when I built my pc. I got the 8320 on sale for $99 as well. So don't come in and try and criticize my pc or my decision making when I just want help dude. Geez.

Just now, IWannaBeInTheRoomWhereItHappens said:

I got the H80i from a friend. @MicrosoftCertTechnician I didn't exactly have the money for an intel processor and skylake wasn't even out yet when I built my pc. I got the 8320 on sale for $99 as well. So don't come in and try and criticize my pc or my decision making when I just want help dude. Geez.

Sorry dude, I didn't know you got that for free.

I don't

28 minutes ago, MicrosoftCertTechnician said:

Are you kidding me?, you bought a 8320 - 130 $ and H80i - $110 total = 240?, you can get much more performance out of a stock cooled 6600, which runs a lot cooler and lasts you longer (because no OC) and costs = 220 dollars.  This is  what happens when people don't do their reseach

I don't think the cooler would be the problem, my temps were fine, sitting in the 50s when gaming.

Can you monitor the frequency at which the CPU is effectively running during those 100% usage, low framerate periods? Your CPu can throttle for 2 reasons: temperature and power consumption. If the effective frequency drops under load, you may want to check the temperatures, and if they are fine, you may want to check power management option in your BIOS. I'm not familiar with the MSI 970 Gaming settings, but the Asus 990FX Sabertooth, for example, will let you control how much power your CPU can draw in excess of specifications and still not throttle (it is probably not unique in that respect, although I also have experience with other 970 boards lacking that kind of control).

It could be [conjecture]that you are safely within limits when gaming at 4.2, but the additional overclock you are trying now takes you too high in either temps or power draw[/conjecture]

Fiddling with the power management part is tricky because it doesn't only depend on what your CPU can take, but also on what the motherboard can give - you can't just push the same VRMs forever, so you have to accept some board-dependent limit on the power consumption you can allow for.