Camcorder Suggestions

Hey everyone,

I've started on a project with 2 other guys, and part of what we're doing is uploading videos to youtube, we've done 1 already (hasn't been uploaded yet), and we REALLY need a new camera.  I will honestly say, i know NOTHING about cameras, but i can say what i'm looking for.  Our current one is a sony handycam that does 720p30, and for some reason on longer filming it splits the files at around 2GB which makes editing a bit of pain.  So at a minimum we need something that will do 1080p60, and doesn't split the file at 2GB sections, (most of videos are going to be around 45 minutes) and won't cost me arm/leg/first born.  Bonus would be bluetooth to monitor from phone/smart device.

Thanks in advance!

What's your budget? I would think a dslr capable of 1080p60 would be ideal, but that might be too expensive. @ALwin

ASU

Can DSLR's go past 30 minutes in filming?  I thought they had heating problems past that time length.  As for budget, i was hoping somewhere around the $350 mark, but i get the feeling i'm going to be looking at the $500 mark.

2 hours ago, SyberWraith said:

Can DSLR's go past 30 minutes in filming?  I thought they had heating problems past that time length.  As for budget, i was hoping somewhere around the $350 mark, but i get the feeling i'm going to be looking at the $500 mark.

These days many camcorders record 1080p60 or 1080p50 (depending on region where you buy) at least.  Most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras still have a 30 minute limit for internal recordings, though I think there are some Panasonic models that do not have this limit.  However if you use an external recorder like an Atomos Ninja instead of recording to the memory card, that limit does not apply.  Some cameras can have this limitation removed via some sort of third party extension, such as Magic Lantern or CHDK for Canon.

Some camera models have overheating issues if you repeatedly record a full 30 minute in a row.  The recording time limit comes from European tax laws regarding photo cameras and video cameras.

http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

The file size limitation is due to file format limitations of Fat32, and in some camcorders you can change in the camera settings how the camera splits the file chunks.

You don't need Bluetooth as there are camcorder models that come with integrated Wi-Fi (I know with Sony) and they provide an app for the phone, and I think the app may allow "previewing" via the phone's screen.

$350 can get you a decent camcorder.  For example this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1210610-REG/canon_1237c001_8gb_vixia_hf_r70.html

Think carefully if you are considering a HDSLR/Mirrorless video kit.  There are pros and cons to HDSLR vs Camcorder (or proper video camera), and while there may be many online people swearing by the DSLR route, many of them don't mention the budget or extra accessories necessary in the initial investment.  A $500 budget will get you a pretty good camcorder that you might not need any extra accessories besides spare batteries and memory cards, but a $500 DSLR will mean spending around at least another 50% extra on accessories like external mics, perhaps a follow focus system, more lenses because the included kit lens is crap and has a very short zoom range, etc.  The biggest pro of course is that larger sensor in a DSLR(and mirrorless, even MFT cameras) setup.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

ALwin, thank you for all the info, i'm going to look into that Canon, looks like it'll do the trick.  As for the 2GB limit, i was hoping it wasn't the Fat32 thing, but kinda figured it was, ah well.  Thanks for mentioning all the extra costs, I've already bought 2 64GB memory cards as well as 2 external mics, so we're good there.  I get the feeling i'm going to be browsing the B&H site a lot, at least it shows the specs of the cameras, a couple of the other sites (including sony's) didn't have the resolution/framerate or sensor.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, SyberWraith said:

As ALwin said, DSLR's often have record limits up to 30 mins. It should say that there is a time limit in the camera's specs.

On 8/1/2016 at 3:32 PM, ALwin said:

The file size limitation is due to file format limitations of Fat32, and in some camcorders you can change in the camera settings how the camera splits the file chunks.

I have also had the problem with many small files, I was dealing with max file sizes of 4GB and it was really annoying. If you are planning on recording long events, I would suggest getting a camera that either supports large card capacities, or that offers relay recording between 2 cards.

I think that a DSLR might be a good choice, I would just keep in mind what ALwin says, as well as the fact that a DSLR may produce better images, just with more fussing and more expense for external equipment.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.