first custom PC, need advice

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/D9q8M8

This build should do you nicely. and comes with NVME M.2 drive (256). If there is some reason you don't want that now, or really want yout 500GB 850 EVO, they cost about the same and you can just get the other instead.

For CPU I got your the 6500 to save a bit of money. You could and should get the 6600 if you want to pay a bit more for a bit more headroom.

for the CPU cooler, your 6500/6600 will come with an intel cooler in the box. Since you're not overclocking, this cooler will do a decent job of keeping your computer cool. If you really want an aftermarket cooler anyway, you could get something cheap like a BeQuiet! Pure Rock or a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. There are cheaper ones, but those often won't be all that much better than a stock intel cooler.

Motherboard I chose because its H170, has USB 3.1 type A and C, M.2, great audio, good features, and all around a good board. Not terribly expensive either. If you want something else, then by all means go for that instead.

RAM is RAM. get what you want. whatever you think will look good.

for storage I chose a 256 GB NVME drive since you were saying you want one and its about the same price as the 500GB storage SSD you had selected. If you really need that 500GB storage, you could stretch your budget to get the 512 NVME drive (its only about 125 more) or you can just choose to get your other SSD instead.There is also the OCZ RD400 series NVME drives that are M.2. If you can get them, they may be slightly cheaper and have similar performance levels.

Allocated 300 for your choice of GPU. That should be reasonable based on your pricing in your first post. Get a 1060 or 480 8GB. the 480 4GB version is not ideal for powering multiple monitors.

PSU choice is for decent quality and price. to keep the budget down. There units with more wattage, and there are units with better quality, but they cost more in order to get there. the PSU I selected will do good in your system with those components.

If you feel you want something bigger or better, this is a great choice for the money: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/3pqdnQ/xfx-power-supply-p1550gts3x

Left your case selection empty since you have already decided upon your own case, and chose the same wireless adapter for you assumming you chose that one for a reason. Enjoy the build.

Hello, I'm going to buy a new PC the next few days/weeks and need some advice on what to buy.
I'm in Germany and will use this PC at least 4 years.
My budget is about 1200€

I'll use this PC for Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Civilisation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Overwatch, Mirrors edge, The Forest) and Programming (Java, C++).

Here are the components I'm currently planning to buy:
CPU: intel i5 6600k (~235€)
CPU Cooler: an good air cooler (recommendations pls)
RAM: 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2133 2*8GB (72€)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P (~100€) (I want a M.2 slot)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (~300€) or AMD Readon R9 390 (~280€) or AMD Readon Rx 480 4g (~260€ 8g: 300€)
SSD: Samsung MZ-75E500B/EU 850 EVO 500GB (~150€)
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD30EZRZ 3 TB (~100€)
WiFi: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I - 867Mbit (45€)
PSU: recommendations pls
Case: Sharkoon VG5-W (40€)

I already own (and will use):
1080 * 1920 60hz monitor
1280 * 1024 60hz monitor
PS2 keyboard
usb mouse
5GHz 1GBit Wifi
usb Webcam

Is all this compatible?
Can I save money without loosing much performance?
Will the SSD survive 5 years or should I get 250GB now and replace it with a M.2 when it fails?
Any other recommendations?

1 minute ago, Poohl said:
Hello, I'm going to buy a new PC the next few days/weeks and need some advice on what to buy.
My budget is about 1200€

I'll use this PC for Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Civilisation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Overwatch, Mirrors edge, The Forest) and Programming (Java, C++).

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (~300€) or AMD Readon R9 390 (~280€) or AMD Readon Rx 480 4g (~260€ 8g: 300€)

1080 * 1920 60hz monitor
1280 * 1024 60hz monitor
PS2 keyboard
usb mouse
5GHz 1GBit Wifi
usb Webcam

Is all this compatible?
Will the SSD survive 5 years or should I get 250GB now and replace it with a M.2 when it fails?

RX480 but otherwise thats a good build

Used to be Buizel10. Forgot email password and LTT password. Check that account for my info.

O Canada ---- Vancouver, BC ----- Live 40km from LTT Office

6 minutes ago, Poohl said:

Snip

There are a few problems with your build....

1) You have a K skew CPU for overclocking, but you do not have a motherboard able to handle overclocking. Do you want to overclock or not?

2) You say you want M.2 and then don't get an M.2 drive. Do you just want the form factor? because you can get the 850 EVO in M.2 size if you want. (it wont be any faster, it will just be able to fit into your M.2 slot). If you want a NVME drive you might be able to get one if you can stretch your budget just a bit. However, NVME drives wont increase your fps or performance over a traditional SSD. It will just improve load times.

3)1060 or 480 only. Do not look at the R9 390. It doesn't really compare to the other two.

I shall give advice on parts after you respond to 1 and 2

7 minutes ago, Poohl said:
My budget is about 1200€

1080 * 1920 60hz monitor
1280 * 1024 60hz monitor
PS2 keyboard
usb mouse
5GHz 1GBit Wifi
usb Webcam

Is all this compatible?

Personally I would go for the GTX 1060, but the RX 480 is definitely worth it as well. Don't get a 390.

If you want a cheap but proven CPU cooler, go for the CM Hyper Evo 212. It should fit in your case.

Look up Tom's Hardware PSU tier list 2.0 and find one with the right connectors that you like. It should be at least tier 3 and preferably tier 2 or 1.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

Just now, Zyndo said:

There are a few problems with your build....

1) You have a K skew CPU for overclocking, but you do not have a motherboard able to handle overclocking. Do you want to overclock or not?

2) You say you want M.2 and then don't get an M.2 drive. Do you just want the form factor? because you can get the 850 EVO in M.2 size if you want. (it wont be any faster, it will just be able to fit into your M.2 slot). If you want a NVME drive you might be able to get one if you can stretch your budget just a bit. However, NVME drives wont increase your fps or performance over a traditional SSD. It will just improve load times.

3)1060 or 480 only. Do not look at the R9 390. It doesn't really compare to the other two.

I shall give advice on parts after you respond to 1 and 2

1: no I wont overclock

2: be able to upgrade to a m.2 drive

Just now, Poohl said:

1: no I wont overclock

2: be able to upgrade to a m.2 drive

You did not answer my M.2 question. Do you want an NVME super fast drive? or do you just want a drive that fits the M.2 form factor? SSD's are already plenty fast for gaming.

You could get, RIGHT NOW, a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive for about the same cost as a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD. They would perform the same, but one is the shape of an M.2. OR if what you're after is next generation speed, then you need an actual NVME drive to go into that M.2 slot.

20 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You did not answer my M.2 question. Do you want an NVME super fast drive? or do you just want a drive that fits the M.2 form factor? SSD's are already plenty fast for gaming.

You could get, RIGHT NOW, a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 drive for about the same cost as a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD. They would perform the same, but one is the shape of an M.2. OR if what you're after is next generation speed, then you need an actual NVME drive to go into that M.2 slot.

I want the possibility to upgrade to a NVME drive in the Future. as you sad the other is just a 2.5", that fits into m.2

This build should do you nicely. and comes with NVME M.2 drive (256). If there is some reason you don't want that now, or really want yout 500GB 850 EVO, they cost about the same and you can just get the other instead.

For CPU I got your the 6500 to save a bit of money. You could and should get the 6600 if you want to pay a bit more for a bit more headroom.

for the CPU cooler, your 6500/6600 will come with an intel cooler in the box. Since you're not overclocking, this cooler will do a decent job of keeping your computer cool. If you really want an aftermarket cooler anyway, you could get something cheap like a BeQuiet! Pure Rock or a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. There are cheaper ones, but those often won't be all that much better than a stock intel cooler.

Motherboard I chose because its H170, has USB 3.1 type A and C, M.2, great audio, good features, and all around a good board. Not terribly expensive either. If you want something else, then by all means go for that instead.

RAM is RAM. get what you want. whatever you think will look good.

for storage I chose a 256 GB NVME drive since you were saying you want one and its about the same price as the 500GB storage SSD you had selected. If you really need that 500GB storage, you could stretch your budget to get the 512 NVME drive (its only about 125 more) or you can just choose to get your other SSD instead.There is also the OCZ RD400 series NVME drives that are M.2. If you can get them, they may be slightly cheaper and have similar performance levels.

Allocated 300 for your choice of GPU. That should be reasonable based on your pricing in your first post. Get a 1060 or 480 8GB. the 480 4GB version is not ideal for powering multiple monitors.

PSU choice is for decent quality and price. to keep the budget down. There units with more wattage, and there are units with better quality, but they cost more in order to get there. the PSU I selected will do good in your system with those components.

If you feel you want something bigger or better, this is a great choice for the money: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/3pqdnQ/xfx-power-supply-p1550gts3x

Left your case selection empty since you have already decided upon your own case, and chose the same wireless adapter for you assumming you chose that one for a reason. Enjoy the build.

I would go with a intel i5 6600 cpu, and an RX 480 GPU. The intel i5 6600k is for overclocking so if your not the intel i5 6600 is a better and less expensive. the stock cooler with the i5 6600 works just fine if you have good airflow in your case and your room super hot.

The RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are pretty well matched in benchmark testing, but the RX 480 can be had for about $100 (cad.) less the that GTX 1060. so that wins in my books.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Thanks a lot.

How did you find that Mobo? I was searching for something like that forever.

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

The RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are pretty well matched in benchmark testing, but the RX 480 can be had for about $100 (cad.) less the that GTX 1060. so that wins in my books.

In Germany the 1060 and rx480 8g are the same price.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€227.61 @ Mindfactory) 

^If possible maybe get the cheaper i5-6500, their differences are minimal
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€33.10 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^This or the Hyper212 EVO just to replace the stock
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€99.34 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^Went with an ATX size mobo since your case already supports it
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€81.61 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€146.94 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€97.02 @ Mindfactory) 

^Don't get WD Blues that are 2TB and above, they have slower RPM's compared to Seagate Barracuda.
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card  (€290.00) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€72.13 @ Mindfactory) 

^Gold rated PSU that's way better than the CX greens

Case: Sharkoon VG5-W (€40.00)

^Good budget case but maybe get a better looking one that complements your components? [230T / S340]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  (€10.00) 
Total: €1097.75

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

30 minutes ago, Poohl said:

Thanks a lot.

How did you find that Mobo? I was searching for something like that forever.

Lots of research ;)

30 minutes ago, Poohl said:

In Germany the 1060 and rx480 8g are the same price.

1060 is better in current games and DX11 by a fairly large margin. However if more games start to support DX12 well then the 480 and 1060 will be pretty evenly matched. and if even more games are programmed in Vulkan, the the 480 will pull ahead.

Based on the my recommendation is 1060. Get the performance boost you know you can get now, rather than the performance boost you're hoping to get in the future. not to mention that by the time enough games support DX12/Vulkan, you may be wanting to upgrade your GPU anyway.

11 hours ago, Poohl said:
~snip~

Hey there Poohl :)

The build looks really good and you should have enough power to do the planned things. 

If you are planning on OCing the CPU you may consider a liquid cooling solution as it can give you a better and safer overclock speed over an air cooled one. 

I like the memory configuration, though if you don't plan on adding more you could get a 4x4GB kit and benefit from the quad-channel support of the motherboard. 

The GPU solely depends on your needs, though the games that you plan on running should perform well on all the cards you listed. The guys gave you some good recommendations on this. 

Regarding the storage, you should be fine using any SSD you'd like as they can last quite a long time. Reaching a SSD's write limits isn't a common thing and is quite hard to do from regular usage so that shouldn't be a concern. It should come with a software that shows you its health and its wear level so you know well beforehand if it's reaching its limits and when. :) I like the storage drive choice! 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 minute ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Poohl :)

The build looks really good and you should have enough power to do the planned things. 

If you are planning on OCing the CPU you may consider a liquid cooling solution as it can give you a better and safer overclock speed over an air cooled one. 

I like the memory configuration, though if you don't plan on adding more you could get a 4x4GB kit and benefit from the quad-channel support of the motherboard. 

The GPU solely depends on your needs, though the games that you plan on running should perform well on all the cards you listed. The guys gave you some good recommendations on this. 

Regarding the storage, you should be fine using any SSD you'd like as they can last quite a long time. Reaching a SSD's write limits isn't a common thing and is quite hard to do from regular usage so that shouldn't be a concern. It should come with a software that shows you its health and its wear level so you know well beforehand if it's reaching its limits and when. :) I like the storage drive choice! 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

I won't OC, so no need to watercool.

This Mobo only and CPU both only support dual-Channel.

Thanks for the info on SSD, i thought they die after a few years.

10 hours ago, Zyndo said:

~~

43 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

~~

11 hours ago, antisleep said:

~~

Here are the components I'm currently planning to buy: (updtated)

CPU: intel i5 6600 (~220€)
 CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM (30€)

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP (~100€)
 GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (~300€)
 SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB (185€)
 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" (90€)
 PSU: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold (75€)

Total: 1167€ + shipping

anything left to say?

1 hour ago, Poohl said:

Snip

2 things.

#1. Seagate has a history of dangerously bad QC on their 3TB drives. Whilst its likely they have worked all the kinks of their system by now, I wouldn't trust buying a 3TB Barracuda. Get literally any other 3TB HDD. There was nothing wrong with the WD 3TB Blue drive you were originally interested in.

#2 Enjoy your new computer =)

Just now, Zyndo said:

2 things.

#1. Seagate has a history of dangerously bad QC on their 3TB drives. Whilst its likely they have worked all the kinks of their system by now, I wouldn't trust buying a 3TB Barracuda. Get literally any other 3TB HDD. There was nothing wrong with the WD 3TB Blue drive you were originally interested in.

#2 Enjoy your new computer =)

#1: ok

#2: yes

thanks your help.

3 hours ago, Poohl said:

~snip~

After a SSD reaches its write cycle limit it becomes a read-only drive so it doesn't technically die. Have in mind that you are far more likely to either face a different problem that will cause a failure or will simply upgrade it with a newer/bigger/faster SSD before you encounter this limit. :)

You don't really need the CPU cooler for that CPU+MOBO combination unless you want a more quiet system. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Just now, Captain_WD said:

~~

quiet systems don't hurt, my current one can keep up with a vacuum cleaner. So I'll stick to that Cooler.