How to test GPU is running at the correct speeds?

SenorKiwi

Hello,

A month ago I got the EVGA 1070 SC, just wondering if there's anywhere I can check  it is running at the correct clock speed and any other speeds? is GPU-Z any good?

Thanks,

Oli

GPU-Z is very good and can give you a lot of information, if you want real time control over clock and fan speed you can use msi afterburner as well. Both should tell you the current clock speed of your card and afterburner offers an overlay that you can see ingame if you don't have a second monitor.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

GPU-Z is very good and can give you a lot of information, if you want real time control over clock and fan speed you can use msi afterburner as well. Both should tell you the current clock speed of your card and afterburner offers an overlay that you can see ingame if you don't have a second monitor.

Alright so I should be looking to hit the "boost clock speed"?

3 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Alright so I should be looking to hit the "boost clock speed"?

Yes, ideally under stress the gpu should hit max boost and stay there. However, not all games are perfectly optimized and sometimes it will probably dip, that's nothing to worry about though. One thing to look out for is heat, if the gpu is overheating (over 90 C) the clock speed will most likely lower itself back to stock and perhaps go even lower if it starts going too high to prevent damage. That should not happen, if it does the cooler is probably faulty or poorly mounted and you should request an rma.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes, ideally under stress the gpu should hit max boost and stay there. However, not all games are perfectly optimized and sometimes it will probably dip, that's nothing to worry about though. One thing to look out for is heat, if the gpu is overheating (over 90 C) the clock speed will most likely lower itself back to stock and perhaps go even lower if it starts going too high to prevent damage. That should not happen, if it does the cooler is probably faulty or poorly mounted and you should request an rma.

alright, I'll check it out. 

46 minutes ago, Sauron said:

currently it says "GPU core clock average is 1850mhz, temp is 63 degrees although I'm feeling a bit of jittery lag in cs (I think its an anomalie I don't usually)?

22 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

currently it says "GPU core clock average is 1850mhz, temp is 63 degrees although I'm feeling a bit of jittery lag in cs (I think its an anomalie I don't usually)?

Try vsync or limiting the framerate. If it persists and you're sure it's not your internet connection try reinstalling the nvidia drivers.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Try vsync or limiting the framerate. If it persists and you're sure it's not your internet connection try reinstalling the nvidia drivers.

Will try it, thanks for the advice :)