R9 380 crashing under gaming load

Matthewv1998

Ok so I have an r9 380 and as of tonight my card has been constantly crashing under any heavy 3D-load and only in gaming. But things like fallout 4, GTAv, Doom, have crashed. The computer freezes, screen goes green and then I loose display and the only way to fix it is by turning the psu off and back on (reset switch doesn't change anything) I've tried diffrent monitors, display ports, driver versions, resolutions but I still crash, my 380 was fine when I first got it but now I can hardly game and it's frustrating, I've bee trying to fix this since 10pm and now it's 3am.. I ran Furmark and Cpu burner for a whole hour and nothing but the second I start up gtav, not even two minutes in my system will freeze, gpu fans will spin up to max and then I crash...is my card dying? What is going on? Please I need help.

That has happened to me too.

Just a few questions:

How old is the card?

Have you tried overclocking the card in the past?

Have you reseated the card?

Also, what are the temperatures?

What catalyst driver version are you using and when did this first happen?

In my instance, the manufacturer had pre-applied a crappy overclock which was messing with my card during games and not during stress tests. I ended up getting MSI afterburner and applying a proper stable overclock which I am using now, you don't have to do that but it might be a possibility. 

The second time that happened to me, I found it was the drivers so, I downgraded to the previous driver version which was more stable and the issues subsided.

Issues like that can be caused by many different little errors or problems within the software and/or hardware of your PC.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

1 minute ago, another random person said:

That has happened to me too.

Just a few questions:

How old is the card?

Have you tried overclocking the card in the past?

Have you reseated the card?

Also, what are the temperatures?

What catalyst driver version are you using and when did this first happen?

In my instance, the manufacturer had pre-applied a crappy overclock which was messing with my card during games and not during stress tests. I ended up getting MSI afterburner and applying a proper stable overclock which I am using now, you don't have to do that but it might be a possibility. 

The second time that happened to me, I found it was the drivers so, I downgraded to the previous driver version which was more stable and the issues subsided.

Issues like that can be caused by many different little errors or problems within the software and/or hardware of your PC.

The card is only about 9 months old, driver. 16.7.3 I noticed issues, downgraded to 16.3.2 and yes I have oced the card as it came stock at 1030 MHZ, reseated a few times, just for normal cleaning. I've tried increasing power limits a little to try to help but that's about it. Temps are actually rather good, Only hitting 78~°C after an hour of Furmark 

10 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

The card is only about 9 months old, driver. 16.7.3 I noticed issues, downgraded to 16.3.2 and yes I have oced the card as it came stock at 1030 MHZ, reseated a few times, just for normal cleaning. I've tried increasing power limits a little to try to help but that's about it. Temps are actually rather good, Only hitting 78~°C after an hour of Furmark 

Try removing the overclock and resetting the card to stock, then play games, in theory,

it shouldn't crash after that.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

Try removing the overclock and resetting the card to stock, then play games, in theory,

it shouldn't crash after that.

Alright, I may even under clock it a tiny bit too, but thank you I will try that next