Running a Desktop Motherboard without CMOS Battery Socket

I think I asked a similar question a while ago, but I got this dead motherboard (And I did have it replaced, but I would like to try to revive it). I was trying to bend back a pin for the battery socket since when I replaced it, it got bent and it wouldn't make contact. But when bending it back, I heard a big snap, and while the pin is still attached, it rendered the motherboard unbeatable. I tried desoldering the socket but that didn't work. I was thinking of completely removing the socket to see if that works. Can anything bad happen if I run a motherboard without the battery socket installed? I can't imagine anything bad happening.

Well as long as you reconnect the battery it will be no problem. But trying to use the motherboard without a working CMOS battery will cause you all kinds of "fun" problems, but it should work.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

1 minute ago, StaffCorporal said:

Well as long as you reconnect the battery it will be no problem. But trying to use the motherboard without a working CMOS battery will cause you all kinds of "fun" problems, but it should work.

Are you talking about an actual battery. Or the socket that the battery goes into. I'm talking about the socket that the battery goes into just to make sure.

2 minutes ago, Appleboy45 said:

Are you talking about an actual battery. Or the socket that the battery goes into. I'm talking about the socket that the battery goes into just to make sure.

I am talking about there being a connection between the CMOS battery and the motherboard. Regardless of it being through a socket or some ghetto wiring ;) 

Just now, StaffCorporal said:

I am talking about there being a connection between the CMOS battery and the motherboard. Regardless of it being through a socket or some ghetto wiring ;) 

I did run the motherboard without the battery when it was working and it seem to just give me CMOS checksum failures and that's all. Just resets the CMOS settings. What "fun" problems are you talking about?

Just now, Appleboy45 said:

I did run the motherboard without the battery when it was working and it seem to just give me CMOS checksum failures and that's all. Just resets the CMOS settings. What "fun" problems are you talking about?

Not keeping the BIOS settings, the time and date etc.

1 minute ago, StaffCorporal said:

Not keeping the BIOS settings, the time and date etc.

Oh okay. Just don't want any sparks and explosions. If the motherboard does work without the socket. I'll buy another motherboard (One that doesn't work, but doesn't have a battery problem), and solder it in.

1 minute ago, Appleboy45 said:

Oh okay. Just don't want any sparks and explosions. If the motherboard does work without the socket. I'll buy another motherboard (One that doesn't work, but doesn't have a battery problem), and solder it in.

You can just connect the battery with wires instead ;)

Just now, StaffCorporal said:

You can just connect the battery with wires instead ;)

Okay. I will take a picture of the socket before removing it so I don't install it backwards.

1 minute ago, Appleboy45 said:

Okay. I will take a picture of the socket before removing it so I don't install it backwards.

I hope you know what you are doing! Soldering on a motherboard is not easy and you can easily damage it if you add too much heat. Good luck mate.