Thinking of a CPU upgrade.

So i was thinking of getting a new cpu. Probably a 4790 , but my main question is that is there anything more that i need to do after installing it. Like i saw with GPU's you have to uninstall you're drivers then take it out then re install them. All comments are appreciated :)

1 minute ago, ThatNoobYouKnow said:

So i was thinking of getting a new cpu. Probably a 4790 , but my main question is that is there anything more that i need to do after installing it. Like i saw with GPU's you have to uninstall you're drivers then take it out then re install them. All comments are appreciated :)

I'm really sorry, but I can't actually answer your post because you wrote it in Comic Sans and I can't take it seriously.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

4 minutes ago, ThatNoobYouKnow said:

whats your current cpu?

1 minute ago, LordMastodon said:

I'm really sorry, but I can't actually answer your post because you wrote it in Comic Sans and I can't take it seriously.

So I was thinking of getting a new CPU. Probably a 4790, but my main question is that is there anything more that I need to do after installing it. Like I saw with GPU's you have to uninstall you're drivers then take it out then re install them. All comments appreciated.

the grammar.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

whats your current cpu?

So I was thinking of getting a new CPU. Probably a 4790, but my main question is that is there anything more that I need to do after installing it. Like I saw with GPU's you have to uninstall you're drivers then take it out then re install them. All comments appreciated.

the grammar.

Thank you so much, now I can help this poor guy.

Well, you'll have to install the Intel drivers I believe. You might have to do that with GPU, and the motherboard, but I'm not a huge expert in this area. You'll probably have to do some driver stuff though.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

8 minutes ago, ThatNoobYouKnow said:

If I care about the system, I usually pull all my files off of it onto a backup drive, make note of all the programs I want to reinstall, then do a full wipe reinstall of Windows, including deleting partitions and reformatting the entire disk.

That said, I've gotten lazy lately. I swapped out a Celeron D 346 for a C2D E6600, that same E6600 for a C2Q Q6600, and swapped an i3-4150 and G3258 between two different systems. I didn't wipe or reinstall anything and, uh, nothing's caught fire yet.

What CPU do you have now? Make sure your motherboard is compatible with a 4790 before buying one.

6 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

wow

such rude

many unhelpful

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If I care about the system, I usually pull all my files off of it onto a backup drive, make note of all the programs I want to reinstall, then do a full wipe reinstall of Windows, including deleting partitions and reformatting the entire disk.

That said, I've gotten lazy lately. I swapped out an Celeron D 346 for a C2D E6600, that same E6600 for a C2Q Q6600, and swapped and i3-4150 and G3258 between two different systems. I didn't wipe or reinstall anything and, uh, nothing's caught fire yet.

What CPU do you have now? Make sure your motherboard is compatible with a 4790 before buying one.

wow

such rude

many unhelpful

i5 4440

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

wow

such rude

many unhelpful

I'm really sorry, and I bear no ill will to the OP, but Comic Sans is literally the bane of my existence, and it must be stopped at all costs. Also, yes, I noticed you used the doge meme which is traditionally written in Comic Sans. Thanks ever so much.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ThatNoobYouKnow said:

i5 4440

Yeah, you could definitely do a 4790, and I think it'd be a worthwhile upgrade for you. The Xeon E3 1231v3 is usually out there at a little lower price than the 4790, and it's basically an i7-4770 without integrated graphics. Well worth a look.

Just now, LordMastodon said:

I'm really sorry, and I bear no ill will to the OP, but Comic Sans is literally the bane of my existence, and it must be stopped at all costs.

No, it's cool, I feel you. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to get a doge joke in.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Yeah, you could definitely do a 4790, and I think it'd be a worthwhile upgrade for you. The Xeon E3 1231v3 is usually out there at a little lower price than the 4790, and it's basically an i7-4770 without integrated graphics. Well worth a look.

I appreciate the help.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

No, it's cool, I feel you. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to get a doge joke in.

Yeah, I only got that part after posting, see my edit.

Spoiler