How to start a tech channel on a budget?

Narigaur
Go to solution Solved by chitranjan,

Ask yourself why you are doing it, is it for money or is for your passion and money is a side kick.

Let's discuss both scenarios.

For passion

Well then buy good audio recorder like, zoon h4n with a condenser boom mic.
Use your phone and record in 1080p, oh do buy lens for your phone, there are some after market kit's to make a phone camera micro or wide angel lens.

Start producing and don't give a shit what people say and what you talk about just go with the flow.

For money and passion

If you are on youtube for money, then every approach changes.

You want a good looking genuinely interested person who is into the topic of your channel. it can be you or someone else (pay him as low as possible) 

Analyze the data about your videos, where people leave your videos and why you are getting traffic from some particular area, ask questions what is the reason.

Produce what people want to watch, mostly trending topic attract more views. Keep up to date with trends on the topics that your channel will cover.

Equipment can be same as mentioned above, because you want to start with as low as you possibly can without compromising on the quality. (you break even fast)

Only for money (I don't give a damm, just give me money)

If you think it as investment then start a llc or some business entity which can keep your liability limited and source everything.

Hire a writer (which sends the script to some other guy)

Hire a production house (which has all equipment and talent)

Let them produce the video and ask them to upload it to your channel

Hire a data annalist get your videos analyzed, get the report and send it to writer with changes you want in the script and also give direction to the production house.

Just make sure you produce more money then you spend.

Congrats you got a channel which is producing money for you. 

By writing this I even got some good ideas for myself, so thank you for asking the question.

EGO boost time : OMG, I am just 21 and I so good at advising people, holly shit man, I am pro, yohhooo (Now i am gonna be a billionaire)ego boost ends

Thanks for reading hope this helps

Extras

if you start becoming popular buy a shogun external recorder the top one and then use the cheapest camera which can produce 4k and also support shogun recorder, this will help you have a single format for all your videos, because all the videos will come from shogun recorder and there is much more you can do with it, you will learn it all by yourself or hire someone else to do it all for you.

So I'm planning on starting a technology channel on YouTube, does anyone have any tips on getting started? I have... Most of the equipment, some editing software, but I don't really have a big budget for any tech items.

Depends on what you want to do.

Product reviews?

Showcase?

Unboxing?
Talking about tech in general?

All of these would cost differently. The last one for example, you basically just need a mic(maybe a webcam if you want to show your face) and possibly a capturing software(unless you want to compile still images/stock video footage), the rest can be done in movie maker (if that's still a thing) or in some other free software.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just keep making videos. (Have a schedule like one per day, one per week, one every 2 weeks etc) Make videos on anything related to your channel.

I edit my posts a lot.

I dont think, that unboxing/review videos, will be easy pre-10K subscribers, since most companies wont send you any samples to review.

Groomlake Authority

35 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I dont think, that unboxing/review videos, will be easy pre-10K subscribers, since most companies wont send you any samples to review.

Could do like Linus did with the surface book. Buy products from stores, review them and then return them when you are done. 

2 minutes ago, Danbo- said:

Could do like Linus did with the surface book. Buy products from stores, review them and then return them when you are done. 

just be sure to read the return policy, many stores have put a stop to this practice.

27 minutes ago, Prindagelf said:

just be sure to read the return policy, many stores have put a stop to this practice.

Yeah , usually the item must be like not unboxed or else you can only exchange it. If you have great repacking skills go ahead...

I started out with nothing but a webcam - logitech C920. Start out with what you already have. Screen capture software is free- nvidia shadowplay if you have it. 

My first few videos were benchmarking trending games, and reviews of products I already had. You really have to take a look at what you have already got and make do, build it up from there. 

Also if you're into tech stuff, go talk to local tech stores, they may have opened items or demo items that (if you already have a re pore with them) they may be happy for you to take away and review for a few days.  

Totally depends on what sort of content you want to create, but you may have to invest in a quality mic like a blue yeti or something as your video can be a bit spotty, but your audio will 100% turn people away if it's bad. 

Ask yourself why you are doing it, is it for money or is for your passion and money is a side kick.

Let's discuss both scenarios.

For passion

Well then buy good audio recorder like, zoon h4n with a condenser boom mic.
Use your phone and record in 1080p, oh do buy lens for your phone, there are some after market kit's to make a phone camera micro or wide angel lens.

Start producing and don't give a shit what people say and what you talk about just go with the flow.

For money and passion

If you are on youtube for money, then every approach changes.

You want a good looking genuinely interested person who is into the topic of your channel. it can be you or someone else (pay him as low as possible) 

Analyze the data about your videos, where people leave your videos and why you are getting traffic from some particular area, ask questions what is the reason.

Produce what people want to watch, mostly trending topic attract more views. Keep up to date with trends on the topics that your channel will cover.

Equipment can be same as mentioned above, because you want to start with as low as you possibly can without compromising on the quality. (you break even fast)

Only for money (I don't give a damm, just give me money)

If you think it as investment then start a llc or some business entity which can keep your liability limited and source everything.

Hire a writer (which sends the script to some other guy)

Hire a production house (which has all equipment and talent)

Let them produce the video and ask them to upload it to your channel

Hire a data annalist get your videos analyzed, get the report and send it to writer with changes you want in the script and also give direction to the production house.

Just make sure you produce more money then you spend.

Congrats you got a channel which is producing money for you. 

By writing this I even got some good ideas for myself, so thank you for asking the question.

EGO boost time : OMG, I am just 21 and I so good at advising people, holly shit man, I am pro, yohhooo (Now i am gonna be a billionaire)ego boost ends

Thanks for reading hope this helps

Extras

if you start becoming popular buy a shogun external recorder the top one and then use the cheapest camera which can produce 4k and also support shogun recorder, this will help you have a single format for all your videos, because all the videos will come from shogun recorder and there is much more you can do with it, you will learn it all by yourself or hire someone else to do it all for you.

17 minutes ago, chitranjan said:

~snip~

Excellent comprehensive guide Chitranjan! Keep it up! Do you have your own tech review channel by chance? Looks like you have experience in this stuff... I'm looking to start a tech review channel myself too, as it's my deep passion. Thanks for your guide!

Nothing to see here ;)

2 hours ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Excellent comprehensive guide Chitranjan! Keep it up! Do you have your own tech review channel by chance? Looks like you have experience in this stuff... I'm looking to start a tech review channel myself too, as it's my deep passion. Thanks for your guide!

i wish you good luck on your journey.

31 minutes ago, chitranjan said:

i wish you good luck on your journey.

Thanks man! :)

Nothing to see here ;)

don't do unboxings.

talk about how computers and all that good stuff works.

maybe do some tutorials, those take no money and are really helpful, and should be easy if you think you are smart/good enough to have a nice tech channel