How does screen tearing works?

JacobKS

When screen tearing happens? Whats the cause?

Half of the image on your screen gets rendered, but before the image finished rendering an updated image is created by the GPU and that is what's used for the remainder of the render. 

• The GPU creates an image. 
  • That image gets sent to your screen and your screen starts displaying it. 
  • Part way through that process the GPU creates and sends out an updated image. 
  • That updated image loads on the remainder of your screen (wherever the first image hasn't gotten to yet).
  • You now have two images on your screen at once. That is screen tearing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Half of the image on your screen gets rendered, but before the image finished rendering an updated image is created by the GPU and that is what's used for the remainder of the render. 

• The GPU creates an image. 
  • That image gets sent to your screen and your screen starts displaying it. 
  • Part way through that process the GPU creates and sends out an updated image. 
  • That updated image loads on the remainder of your screen (wherever the first image hasn't gotten to yet).
  • You now have two images on your screen at once. That is screen tearing. 

and screen tearing, especially when happening like every 10 seconds, is really shit.

7 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

and screen tearing, especially when happening like every 10 seconds, is really shit.

I'd say it's actually very subjective. I happen to have a hard time noticing tearing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

33 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd say it's actually very subjective. I happen to have a hard time noticing tearing. 

but if it happens like every second then its extremely shit! you cant argue with that!

6 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

but if it happens like every second then its extremely shit! you cant argue with that!

I'd prefer screen tearing to stuttering caused by shitty v-sync, but hey, its all up to personal preference. :)

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They say screen tearing "ONLY" happens when the render rate or FPS is above the refresh rate?

5 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

They say screen tearing "ONLY" happens when the render rate or FPS is above the refresh rate?

Lets assume you're using a 60hz monitor. Then every 1/60th of a second the monitor requests an updated image from the GPU. If the GPU is pushing 120 frames per second, then halfway through fullfilling that frame request the frame stored in the GPUs output stream will be updated and the monitor will continue to read from the output stream. So half of the image that's on the screen will be from the first image in the output stream and the second half of the image that's on the screen will be from the new image in the output stream that replaced the first image. 

So if you have Vsync on (and your GPU is pushing 60fps) and/or the GPU is pushing EXACTLY 60fps, then the frame in the GPUs output stream is updated at the exact interval that the monitor is requesting a new frame. So the output stream will never be overwritten part way through the rendering of the image on the display. As a result the ENTIRE image in the output stream will be rendered on the display before it's updated and thus you don't have any tearing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Lets assume you're using a 60hz monitor. Then every 1/60th of a second the monitor requests an updated image from the GPU. If the GPU is pushing 120 frames per second, then halfway through fullfilling that frame request the frame stored in the GPUs output stream will be updated and the monitor will continue to read from the output stream. So half of the image that's on the screen will be from the first image in the output stream and the second half of the image that's on the screen will be from the new image in the output stream that replaced the first image. 

So if you have Vsync on (and your GPU is pushing 60fps) and/or the GPU is pushing EXACTLY 60fps, then the frame in the GPUs output stream is updated at the exact interval that the monitor is requesting a new frame. So the output stream will never be overwritten part way through the rendering of the image on the display. As a result the ENTIRE image in the output stream will be rendered on the display before it's updated and thus you don't have any tearing. 

could you please answer my previous question like yes or no I'm kinda having difficulties understanding deep explanation in english

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

If yes, screen tearing only happens when the render rate is above the refresh rate.

What if I have a 144hz w/o GSync display and my game is running around 90fps are there no screen tearing on this one "AT ALL" ?

And what if I have a 144hz display w/ GSync and my game is running at 180fps there's a screen tearing on this one right? but it lessen because it has GSync? or still when the render rate is above the refresh rate even tho your display has a GSync it will totally tear at all?

GTGtoSleep

54 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

could you please answer my previous question like yes or no I'm kinda having difficulties understanding deep explanation in english

1 hour ago, JacobKS said:

Screen tearing can occur if the FPS is above OR below the monitor's refresh rate. 

37 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

If yes, screen tearing only happens when the render rate is above the refresh rate.

What if I have a 144hz w/o GSync display and my game is running around 90fps are there no screen tearing on this one "AT ALL" ?

And what if I have a 144hz display w/ GSync and my game is running at 180fps there's a screen tearing on this one right? but it lessen because it has GSync? or still when the render rate is above the refresh rate even tho your display has a GSync it will totally tear at all?

GTGtoSleep

Without Gsync you will get tearing if you're not pushing 144fps. 

With Gsync you will NOT get tearing no matter what the FPS is. With Gsync the monitor ONLY refreshes the image when the GPU has sent out a complete image. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Screen tearing can occur if the FPS is above OR below the monitor's refresh rate. 

Without Gsync you will get tearing if you're not pushing 144fps. 

With Gsync you will NOT get tearing no matter what the FPS is. With Gsync the monitor ONLY refreshes the image when the GPU has sent out a complete image. 

GSync does is to let the monitor to synchronize what the fps right?

If that's true then even if I have a 144hz display and my game running at 90fps and then my 144hz will become 90hz because its copying what the render rate or fps which is 90fps?

6 hours ago, JacobKS said:

GSync does is to let the monitor to synchronize what the fps right?

If that's true then even if I have a 144hz display and my game running at 90fps and then my 144hz will become 90hz because its copying what the render rate or fps which is 90fps?

yes

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

yes

I'm kinda lost again on this one if I have a  monitor with a 144hz w/o GSync right and I'm playing around 90fps are there no tearing on this one AT ALL or there's still tearing even the fps is below the refresh rate?

30 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

I'm kinda lost again on this one if I have a  monitor with a 144hz w/o GSync right and I'm playing around 90fps are there no tearing on this one AT ALL or there's still tearing even the fps is below the refresh rate?

There would be tearing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

There would be tearing. 

Sad lyf, I want to experience the super smooth they saying but my GPU that I will buy soon can only run my wanted games around 70-90 fps so the monitor will refresh it around 70-90 depending on the current fps because that's GSync. And having a 144hz vs 60hz is a very different experience according to pro players, and I'm a very competitive gamer.

Another thing bro, what if you have a 60hz monitor with GSync and your games running around 90fps does the monitor will display 90hz even though your monitor 60hz or no?

43 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

Sad lyf, I want to experience the super smooth they saying but my GPU that I will buy soon can only run my wanted games around 70-90 fps so the monitor will refresh it around 70-90 depending on the current fps because that's GSync. And having a 144hz vs 60hz is a very different experience according to pro players, and I'm a very competitive gamer.

Another thing bro, what if you have a 60hz monitor with GSync and your games running around 90fps does the monitor will display 90hz even though your monitor 60hz or no?

It will be capped at 60.

Honestly, tearing isn't an issue for everyone. Tearing really doesn't bother me

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler