How to tell if a directx11 application is using the gpu

Go to solution Solved by trag1c,

Simply use the IDXGIDevice to query the driver for available adapters and pass the adapter you want when you create your ID3D11Device. (You will also have to pass a D3D_DRIVER_UNKNOWN value as well.) This is assuming you are have multiple adapters such as IGPU and a dedicated GPU.

When you query the driver you can also retrieve information about the adapter in question such as VRAM, vendor, card description among other things.

So... I'm writing DirextX11 application and I can't tell if it is utilizing my GPU because it seems to have very little impact on the GPUs usage, so I was Just wondering if there was a way to check which display adapter it's using.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm quite new to DirectX and if someone could point me in the direction of something that could help that would be great.

(By the way i'm using a GTX 970 so it my should GPU does support it).

!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!

You can use something like MSI afterburner to monitor gpu usage.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

go to nvidia control panel, top left corner under "desktop" enable display GPU activity icon in notification area. Click the icon to see what's running on the gpu.

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

Thanks that helped

!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!CATS!!

Simply use the IDXGIDevice to query the driver for available adapters and pass the adapter you want when you create your ID3D11Device. (You will also have to pass a D3D_DRIVER_UNKNOWN value as well.) This is assuming you are have multiple adapters such as IGPU and a dedicated GPU.

When you query the driver you can also retrieve information about the adapter in question such as VRAM, vendor, card description among other things.

Edited by trag1c
Fixed type name error.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz