67 members have voted

1. 1. Which form factor first?

• ATX Mid
    • ATX Full
    • m-ATX
    • Mini-ITX
    • Cube (LOL Linus)

7 hours ago, arch_linuxos said:

Make sure the panels are thick - flimsy panels suck (450D, for instance). I personally LOVE aluminum. The Enthoo Evolv does this really well as an example. Flimsy panels are a pain in the arse to put back on, but making them thick steel is expensive/heavy - thus, the aluminum.

Yeah I have been going back and forth with options for the front panel. The main side is going to be tempered glass 99%. The rear will be aluminum and most likely the front as well. I personally like some of the ways that things like the Define R5 and S as well as the H440 and S340 or even the Corsair 750D. The only thing that I dislike about those is the airflow. Yes it's decent, but it's not as good as airflow in a higher cost case should be imo. It will definitely have rad support up front and I am going to try to get it to be with enough clearance for a possible 360 up top too. It may be an incredibly tight squeeze for tubing, but workable if someone wants to do it. A basement will for sure be done.

8 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

I found a couple of different places, actually. If no HDD, then under the psu shroud. If no front rad, the between the gpu and fans(will use this if I get the case. also only going to get it if this case isn't going to be available within a couple of months) or I saw one mounted with the back fan on dino PC's site

Also

c4fecaa262b98f9bb0866d705f15b717_XL.jpg

My problems with this case is that is is just a little too small for you to keep shroud with the rads like above and it doesnt come with good cutouts to route the gpu cables thru the shroud :/

When I was looking at the case, I did notice that the res could go next to the psu where the HDDs are, but then you have to sacrifice your HDDs

20 hours ago, t24revl said:

I'm a bit late to this thread but here's what I have to say:

I think it's really cool that you want to start a business creating cases. I want to make my own but have no idea how to lol.

I saw tempered glass: lot's of people like it but it more costly, i would wait til you get a design figured out and can estimate the cost of the case. If you want it to be more affordable, glass is recommended

I don't care if I had tempered glass, so idrc

Motherboard tray: great idea, see how much it costs as compared to the norm

Here's what I would want:

ATX mobo support (E-ATX wouldn't hurt though), a basement for the psu, something small like an s340 but can fit a 360rad in the front!, room next to the mobo for a reservoir, easy to install psu's are nice, 

Here's a major thing (i dont think it would hurt) a case that has more room for cables behind the mobo tray so that I don't have to struggle to fit the side panel on!

This is an extremely minor one, but on some mobo's, they have 90degree usb plugs, so access along the basement to pass cables right in front of the mobo would help

Hope this helps your ideas :)

I had totally scrolled past this on accident earlier.

So....thank you very much. I personally would rather have a well done tempered glass build that isn't overly expensive > an acrylic side panel because they scratch super easy. Regular glass is fine but also will scratch decently easy, and the cost difference really wouldn't be that significant so I would have to fall back to acrylic or something like it. I am 99% sure I will be using tempered, but understand where you are coming from.

Motherboard tray: I feel like I am blanking on what you are referring to. If you are talking about the ATX tower that can also support E-ATX then yes that is my plan but we shall see how it works with the form factor I end up with.

Personally I am not a fan of the fact that the S340 has a basement that also moves to holding in the HDD trays because they won't be in the same position at all and they will be removable. I do know what you are talking about and a basement will for sure be part of the build because I love them myself and it makes for much sleeker build computers. The basement will have cutouts for the connectors at the bottom of the mobo as well as the gpu cables.

I also know it is a good amount to read the whole forum, or maybe I just forgot before, but the way that I am going to be designing the more forward part of the case will allow for a large space for cable management as well as enough behind the mobo tray to make it over to that cable management spot.

I for sure appreciate the input. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Build_Nerd said:

So....thank you very much. I personally would rather have a well done tempered glass build that isn't overly expensive > an acrylic side panel because they scratch super easy. Regular glass is fine but also will scratch decently easy, and the cost difference really wouldn't be that significant so I would have to fall back to acrylic or something like it. I am 99% sure I will be using tempered, but understand where you are coming from.

Motherboard tray: I feel like I am blanking on what you are referring to. If you are talking about the ATX tower that can also support E-ATX then yes that is my plan but we shall see how it works with the form factor I end up with.

Personally I am not a fan of the fact that the S340 has a basement that also moves to holding in the HDD trays because they won't be in the same position at all and they will be removable. I do know what you are talking about and a basement will for sure be part of the build because I love them myself and it makes for much sleeker build computers. The basement will have cutouts for the connectors at the bottom of the mobo as well as the gpu cables.

I also know it is a good amount to read the whole forum, or maybe I just forgot before, but the way that I am going to be designing the more forward part of the case will allow for a large space for cable management as well as enough behind the mobo tray to make it over to that cable management spot.

With a removable motherboard tray, (I don't know) but I could imagine being costly compared to a non-removable one. I was suggesting a mid tower case that can also hold an EATX mobo. 

When I said "something like the S340, I wasn't referring to the fact that HDD bays be located in the basement. I just meant the general size. 

10 hours ago, Build_Nerd said:

Sounds like a case that would have everything I want :D

11 hours ago, technologyoverhaul said:

add windows 75% of buyers buy windows

Tempered glass side panel. No need to buy any windowed version of the side panel :)

5 hours ago, vladonizer said:

Sounds like a case that would have everything I want :D

That is the plan sir. I am doing my best on the many forums, to bring together the ideas of the many and combine it with my plans to make this case that which incorporates the most features desired by the enthusiast community.

1 hour ago, Build_Nerd said:

That is the plan sir. I am doing my best on the many forums, to bring together the ideas of the many and combine it with my plans to make this case that which incorporates the most features desired by the enthusiast community.

When would be an estimate of when you may have a prototype?

Prototype will all depend. At this exact time I wouldn't expect one for at least a few months unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Build_Nerd said:

Prototype will all depend. At this exact time I wouldn't expect one for at least a few months unfortunately.

Alright, just keep us updated!

Will do. The CAD is going to be slightly behind because my potential partner and cousin who does it for a living is just too busy this week to start it so it won't be started until next week. From there, we shall see how fast he can get it done.

31 minutes ago, Build_Nerd said:

Will do. The CAD is going to be slightly behind because my potential partner and cousin who does it for a living is just too busy this week to start it so it won't be started until next week. From there, we shall see how fast he can get it done.

Can't wait!

The real thing that I need to decide on his how I want the front panel to look. I really like the look of front panels like the corsair 750D and other they make like it (although without the 5.25" bays) and the define series from Fractal, etc., but I feel like there is a way to get more airflow there so we shall see what I can come up with on that front without making the sides of the front panel (like the slits in the define series) look too noticeable or anything.

Working on naming the company, will be coming soonish.

Bump - planning to put the case IO on the top of the case vertically on the right side to keep the IO cables behind part of the case, but wanted everyone's opinion on IO placement on cases.

Just now, Build_Nerd said:

Bump - planning to put the case IO on the top of the case vertically on the right side to keep the IO cables behind part of the case, but wanted everyone's opinion on IO placement on cases.

My current case has its IO on top and it is useful (especially if it's on the floor), however my main concern is with dust accumulation/pet hair (my house suffers with both). You could possibly do something similar to my last case, which had the IO at a slight angle, since it is then still fairly accessible and dust accumulating in the ports will be reduced

24 minutes ago, Build_Nerd said:

Personally prefer IO on the front of my case. Having it on the side would be a good idea I guess

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

14 minutes ago, ServerGuy said:

My current case has its IO on top and it is useful (especially if it's on the floor), however my main concern is with dust accumulation/pet hair (my house suffers with both). You could possibly do something similar to my last case, which had the IO at a slight angle, since it is then still fairly accessible and dust accumulating in the ports will be reduced

That is definitely interesting. I know that is somewhat of an issue especially in some people's houses that are just naturally super dusty like mine; nothing I do will rid the house of dust lol. Now my thoughts are to also have it very simple though. Power button, reset, and (2) usb 3.0.

That is definitely interesting. I know that is somewhat of an issue especially in some people's houses that are just naturally super dusty like mine; nothing I do will rid the house of dust lol. Now my thoughts are to also have it very simple though. Power button, reset, and (2) usb 3.0.

I think having USB2.0 on the front panel would also be a good idea, since this is also what many case manufacturers do and allows backwards compatibility with legacy systems (e.g. my server). Just a word of warning with the reset button: make it recessed, harder to push, smaller, away from the power button, etc. to distinguish it from the power button (which is also a good place for power and HDD activity LEDs), so people are less likely to push it. On my case, it is quite small and above the power button and on my old case, it was with the HDD activity LED.

And yeah, dust is a nightmare, as well as fingerprints (both plague my case).

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Personally prefer IO on the front of my case. Having it on the side would be a good idea I guess

I feel like the preference on the placement usually comes down to where you keep your pc you know? People who keep it up on their desk tend to like front IO an people who have it on the ground or just under their desk in general, favor the top. We shall see how it looks on the CAD.

I feel like the preference on the placement usually comes down to where you keep your pc you know? People who keep it up on their desk tend to like front IO an people who have it on the ground or just under their desk in general, favor the top. We shall see how it looks on the CAD.

Yeah, I've always had front IO on my systems, whether thats on the ground like my old system or on top of my desk like my new one. Side to me feels like the best of both but it comes down to preference tbh

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah, I've always had front IO on my systems, whether thats on the ground like my old system or on top of my desk like my new one. Side to me feels like the best of both but it comes down to preference tbh

Yeah for sure. I don't have a drawing of it to show. If anything, put the IO on the top panel, right side, vertical, and put the power button on the front.

1 hour ago, Overkilled said:

What sort of design styles do you have in mind?

I like the overall style of the caselabs mesh so I really want to make our vents the same style. Other than that for the most part it is going to be all aluminum with a tempered glass side panel. Did you have any ideas you'd like to share?