Moving Objects through Eathernet calbe

robeng

I have connected my new computer and my old computer with a Eathernet cable. I have enabled filesharing but I don't know how I shall move documents, photos etc. Anyone know how?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure their IPs are set to the same subnet also.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If the computers don't recognize each other, its because you used an ordinary cable instead of the required crossover cable.

How do i know wich earthernet cable is a crossover cable?

16 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If the computers don't recognize each other, its because you used an ordinary cable instead of the required crossover cable.

Crossover cables are pretty much unnecessary nowadays, as NICs will just autodetect.

25 minutes ago, robeng said:

I have connected my new computer and my old computer with a Eathernet cable. I have enabled filesharing but I don't know how I shall move documents, photos etc. Anyone know how?

Thanks in advance!

You will have to set static ip addresses on both computers so that they can find each other. Then, just goto the network part of file explorer and look for the other computer. If it does not come up, you can manually connect using \\[ipaddress] in the folder bar.

My native language is C++

5 minutes ago, robeng said:

How do i know wich earthernet cable is a crossover cable?

A crossover cable hasn't been a requirement since the late nineties. Current NICs can detect a straight cable and switch between Rx and Tx to counter. Also, if there's a router or a switch in between it's even more of a non-issue. But you can tell by holding the ends next to each other. If the colored wires are in the same order, it's straight, if they're crossed, it's crossover. 

The most straight-forward way to enable home sharing in windows is to share a folder with full read/write privileges on both machines. Make sure it's not your desktop folder and not a root of any drive. As in,  C:\Share\ is fine but C:\ is not. Do the share on both machines and the folders will show under Network in the File Explorer. Then you can just drag and drop files between them. Do note that your Network and Firewall and even router settings play a role in all this. The very least the network has to be set as Home as opposed to Public and the machines have to be under the same subnet. Also, this among with a heap of other things is implemented very poorly in Windows. There's no shame in using a third-party app for all of it. I for instance have used Teamviewer just for the sake of simple+fast setup.

Simplest way is to connect both computers to a switch or router with the cables. Make sure they are both using DHCP, which they probably are already and since you've already enabled file sharing (on both computers I hope?), then they should show up under the network heading under file explorer. Then you can slect the one you want to transfer stuff from/to and drag and drop the files/folders.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini