Making a KeyPU!

Rekhyt

Hey guys,

I've been seeing CPU keychains on the internet for a while, and decided to make my own with an old first-gen mobile i7 Core 2 Duo (Got confused here). So without further ado,

THE KeyPU!

It's not really a tutorial, everyone can do this; it just didn't seem to fit in General Discussion.

This is the processor I used, it was from my old 20 inch (!) HP laptop. I believe it's a first gen i7 Core 2 Duo:

post-7449-0-51756700-1381095766.jpg

It used to be my main machine but now it's time for it to fulfill a more.. cosmetic purpose.

The pins were still on the CPU back then ,and while they look nice, they would have bent in every direction over time and looked terrible, so I decided to remove them.

Then I regretted it.

Taking out hundreds of tiny pins with pliers takes a very, very long time.

post-7449-0-60414900-1381096082.jpg

I might put the grinding bit on my dremel tomorrow to smooth out the ones that still stick out a bit. It basically looks like a modern one now. :)

Next the hole:

post-7449-0-46382600-1381096173_thumb.jp

I used a drill bit for metal, but in retrospect I maybe should have used one of the ones for wood, they have a sharper tip which would have prevented me from drifting away from where I wanted the hole.

post-7449-0-50602200-1381096628_thumb.jp

And here's a shot with the keys in, all done.

So, if you also have an old laptop that won't boot anymore, you too can craft yourself this very fashionable bit of geek memorabilia! Hopefully now it can keep serving me long and well, albeit a little differently than before :)

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

I did this with a P3 :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It would hate myself everyday for the hole not being in the middle. :( Other than that great job. :D

:P

It actually turned out okay because it would have been a little far from the edge otherwise. But then I could have made it wider. Don't have enough i7's lying around to do a v 2.0 sadly :D

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

I used a drill bit for metal, but in retrospect I maybe should have used one of the ones for wood, they have a sharper tip which would have prevented me from drifting away from where I wanted the hole.

I believe a drill bit for wood is the standard for drilling through PCB's, but don't quote me on that...

Heres mine.

Nice! Looks like it's been around

I believe a drill bit for wood is the standard for drilling through PCB's, but don't quote me on that...

I'm ready to believe that now :)

Heres mine.

Awesome. What processor is this?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I am working on a few of them....I will post pics when I am done :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Awesome. What processor is this?

A pentium by the looks of it

I am working on a few of them....I will post pics when I am done :)

Cool :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know, to each his own, but why would you destroy such tech? 20-30 years down the road, I'd like to see the processor that I used in its fullest :P

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I know, to each his own, but why would you destroy such tech? 20-30 years down the road, I'd like to see the processor that I used in its fullest :P

It was a mobile processor, can't re-use it because of socket/chipset/cooling solution. Plus it was in a older laptop with no graphics card that I wasn't using either way.

Also it's way cool :)

It was a mobile processor, can't re-use it because of socket/chipset/cooling solution. Plus it was in a older laptop with no graphics card that I wasn't using either way.

Also it's way cool :)

Hehe yeah I know. BUT, there's nothing like having a vacuum tube today even though it has no purpose. I guess I'm just a sucker for old tech :P

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Hehe yeah I know. BUT, there's nothing like having a vacuum tube today even though it has no purpose. I guess I'm just a sucker for old tech :P

I'd never hurt a vacuum tube :P I just see this as giving it a second life. It was either being a key chain or being thrown away with the broken laptop!

I'd never hurt a vacuum tube :P I just see this as giving it a second life. It was either being a key chain or being thrown away with the broken laptop!

Or a 3rd option, like I said, keep it in your own personal "computer museum" so to speak. That feeling of opening up a time capsule is just astounding. But I guess to each his own :)

Or a 3rd option, like I said, keep it in your own personal "computer museum" so to speak. That feeling of opening up a time capsule is just astounding. But I guess to each his own :)

That's great as well, for sure!

Here's mine did it just after i saw this thread, I had an old P4 laying around.

Cool! The heat spreader adds a nice bulk compared to my mobile one

Thats it. I'm going to search for my old p4 now! :D or i'll just take my brandnew 4670k. ^^

wow... pretty empty here...

That's great as well, for sure!

Cool! The heat spreader adds a nice bulk compared to my mobile one

The heatspreader was hard to drill through, Really wish i had a drill press it would have made it so much easier.

Heres mine.

I thought that said Pentium 4.... Then i realized it said Pentium D and smiled =)

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

I thought that said Pentium 4.... Then i realized it said Pentium D and smiled =)

Sometimes even I read it, see 04 and think pentium 4 :)