Best Gaming cpu/motherboard combo if i don't want to overclock?

I have been recently looking for cpu's for my new rig but i am not comfortable overclocking and i don't see the need to for what games i play and i was wondering what you guys would recommend what cpu i can get that is good but i don't want to overclock.

And i was wondering what would be the best motherboard i can get if i don't want to overclock (atx or matx)

Thank you in advance!

What's your budget? Anything else aside from just gaming? Rest of specs?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

What's your budget? Anything else aside from just gaming?

i wouldn't like to spend more than $150 on a motherboard and $250 on a cpu.

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

So a $400 budget total? I suggest getting a locked i7 with a Z170 motherboard. Sure, you're not overclocking but it's a nice option to keep open for the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($297.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $380.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 23:41 EDT-0400

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

and i just web browse and game on my pc adn the rest of my rig is a gtx 960 and a ssd and hdd combo and im planning to get ram and a new psu too

2 hours ago, DJL said:

I have been recently looking for cpu's for my new rig but i am not comfortable overclocking and i don't see the need to for what games i play and i was wondering what you guys would recommend what cpu i can get that is good but i don't want to overclock.

And i was wondering what would be the best motherboard i can get if i don't want to overclock (atx or matx)

Thank you in advance!

4690 + msi z97 krait

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

So a $400 budget total? I suggest getting a locked i7 with a Z170 motherboard. Sure, you're not overclocking but it's a nice option to keep open for the future.

i7 ?

you're such a fool get out

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

i7 ?

yeah i dont plan to do cpu heavy tasks and i dont plan to stream either im assuming a i5 right?

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

i7 ?

I'm a fool? Stock i7 handily beats out a stock i5.

'Get out'.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

and i just web browse and game on my pc adn the rest of my rig is a gtx 960 and a ssd and hdd combo and im planning to get ram and a new psu too

get a last get i5 4690 for much cheaper than the new one

its basically a waste of money for what you'll be doing

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

i5-6500 is best imo because you have the skylake architecture with less power draw and ddr4. Mobo doesn't matter too much but I think this one is nice: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813128869&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= I hope this helps

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

i5-6500 is best imo because you have the skylake architecture with less power draw and ddr4. Mobo doesn't matter too much but I think this one is nice: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813128869&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= I hope this helps

thats h170 not z170 or does that not matter?

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

I'm a fool? Stock i7 handily beats out a stock i5.

'Get out'.

100$ sent to pretty much nothing

1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

but its much pricier tho.

he could do fine with a 4690

2 hours ago, givingtnt said:

but its much pricier tho.

he could do fine with a 4690

but wouldnt skylake be more future proof? or is that cpu skylake idk sry :/

2 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

Z170 is if you want to over lock. H170 H110 don't allow overclocking 

Ohhhhhh ty very much i didnt know that!

Just now, givingtnt said:

100$ sent to pretty much nothing

Did you even watch the video? Less stuttering on the i7 than on the i5 and there are sizeable gains from an i7 over an i5. If OP has $400 to spare, he might as well go for it.

Spoiler

Just now, DJL said:

but wouldnt skylake be more future proof? or is that cpu skylake idk sry :/

no its haswell devil's canyon

very powerfull, 100$ less and about 5-10% less performance. 

and you get cheap ddr3 and motherboards

2 hours ago, givingtnt said:

get a last get i5 4690 for much cheaper than the new one

its basically a waste of money for what you'll be doing

yeah all i want is more than 144 fps on csgo xD and i cant get that currently, my current mobo, cpu, combo is from 2009 and my ram is ddr2

i was a fool and thought getting a good gpu would fix it but it didnt

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Did you even watch the video? Less stuttering on the i7 than on the i5 and there are sizeable gains from an i7 over an i5. If OP has $400 to spare, he might as well go for it.

Doesn't look like he needs that. I don't really see the point in an i7 unless your gpu is bottlenecking. Ex: 1070/1080

Besides video editing and work like stuff of course 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

I vote for i5 6500 and a H170 motherboard which will have 4 RAM slots, a M.2 slot and support for RAID.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($83.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $283.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 23:54 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

and you get cheap ddr3 and motherboards

DDR3 isn't actually cheaper

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

Doesn't look like he needs that. I don't really see the point in an i7 unless your gpu is bottlenecking. Ex: 1070/1080

oh rn my cpu is bottle necking really bad

2 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

In games that are particularly CPU-intensive, such as GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, the i7 makes sense. If we're talking about an overclocked i5 6600K vs i7 6700, that's a different story.

Plus, there wouldn't be a need to get a new CPU and just let OP upgrade his GPUs without being concerned about a bottleneck.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

In games that are particularly CPU-intensive, such as GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, the i7 makes sense. If we're talking about an overclocked i5 6600K vs i7 6700, that's a different story.

Plus, there wouldn't be a need to get a new CPU and just let OP upgrade his GPUs.

I play multiplayer fps's primarily csgo and i am getting a 144hz monitor 

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

I play multiplayer fps's primarily csgo and i am getting a 144hz monitor 

144Hz monitor at 1080p? A beefy GPU such as a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 will be bottlenecked above 60Hz. Just a thought when you're thinking about upgrading.

Spoiler