First Build - Can't Install OS

ck11
Go to solution Solved by ck11,

Got a replacement mobo today - same issues. But, also got the Pentium g4400 in as well and turns out it was my cpu after all. Guess the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" is not foolproof. Thanks everyone for the help!

I finished my first build a few days ago and it's been giving me nothing but problems.

Computer POST's and am able to get into the bios without any issues. However, whenever I try to install an operating system on the computer it will lock up and require a hard shutdown (typically when selecting the hard drive, but sometimes when it begins to install windows). Have tried to install an OS on multiple hard drives, with no success. System also freezes when attempting to run Linux live from a flash drive. The hard disks are clean and was able to install windows 10 without issues on another system. The computer will boot to windows if I use the hard drive with the windows operating system installed from the other computer, but would lock up on the desktop after 30 seconds or so (Identical to the Linux live flash drive). Windows is stable in Safe Mode and I narrowed down the problem to the "Power" service causing the freezes. If I enable the high performance power setting in Windows the freezing stops but there is still on occasional stutter.

Not sure if my problems are related to some stock bios settings or are indicative of a larger hardware issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Components: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FkLV6X
- i5-6600k (non-overclocked)
- GA-z170mx-Gaming 5 ver. 1.0 (Tried with F4 and F5e bios)
- G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2400 2x8GB (still running at native 2133)
- Corsair rm-650x 80+Gold PSU
- Corsair h100i-v2 liquid cooler

- Windows 10 64bit (ISO file downloaded from Microsoft Website and key is confirmed)

Hard Drives Tested on
- Kingston SSDNow 300 (sv300s37a/120g)
- Crucial m550 (ct256m550ssd1)

- Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD3200Bpvt)

What I've done so far:

- Checked all components were installed properly (4+ times)

- Updated Bios

- Tried to run Linux Live from flash drive without Hard disks plugged in: froze on desktop

- Tried all memory slots and combinations

- Memcheck86: 12+ hours no issues found

- Chkdsk: No issues found on all drives

- GSmartControl: No Issues found on all drives

- Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: No issues with the CPU and temps under load reach around 42°C.

- Tried about 5 different Windows 10 ISO file downloads (Verified that each was not corrupt)

- Installed Win 10 on all hard drives on another computer without issues.

6d50b86c-2715-4414-acfd-903bf8f85174.jpg

I would try installing another OS just to be sure that it isn't Windows 10 that is causing the problem. Also try swapping every component if you can, to isolate what is faulty.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

3 minutes ago, StaffCorporal said:

I would try installing another OS just to be sure that it isn't Windows 10 that is causing the problem. Also try swapping every component if you can, to isolate what is faulty.

um...

10 minutes ago, ck11 said:

Tried to run Linux Live from flash drive without Hard disks plugged in: froze on desktop

Yeah OP, sounds like a mobo issue since you tested everything else

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I would attempt an install on a single RAM stick and no graphics card (integrated graphics) just to be safe, might be CPU issue as well

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

I would attempt an install on a single RAM stick and no graphics card (integrated graphics) just to be safe, might be CPU issue as well

Tried with a single stick and haven't purchased a graphics card yet, was a no go. I ordered a Pentium g4400 to test in the system but I agree with the others that it's probably the Mobo.

Got a replacement mobo today - same issues. But, also got the Pentium g4400 in as well and turns out it was my cpu after all. Guess the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" is not foolproof. Thanks everyone for the help!