LAN PARTY PREPERATION

Hi

everyone

my name is mtsimmer

and  we are planing on hosting a lan party soon our networking gear ( OLD 16 port Switch and 2 routers one tp-link and one old to from Cisco ) my few questions is :

1) because of our hopes to bring internet connection to everyone we are having and a question is there some kind of a limit for connections 
2) we cannot let 10-15 ppl seat at one table so we got one more problem expensive wires ( we cannot really afford 6 5-10 meters of lan cable)
so we thought using 2 of the routers as 2 mini switches is there some kind of a  problem with our idea ( we thought about plugging the lan cable with INT from the switch to one of the four connections that is usually used as a lan output on the router )
3)The last question on terms of servers (hosting lan servers for the games )
do we need to connect the host PC directly to the primary router ( the one that have the internet )

Thanks for answers ! 

Mtsimmer.

16 minutes ago, Mtsimmer said:

Hi

everyone

my name is mtsimmer

and  we are planing on hosting a lan party soon our networking gear ( OLD 16 port Switch and 2 routers one tp-link and one old to from Cisco ) my few questions is :

1) because of our hopes to bring internet connection to everyone we are having and a question is there some kind of a limit for connections 
2) we cannot let 10-15 ppl seat at one table so we got one more problem expensive wires ( we cannot really afford 6 5-10 meters of lan cable)
so we thought using 2 of the routers as 2 mini switches is there some kind of a  problem with our idea ( we thought about plugging the lan cable with INT from the switch to one of the four connections that is usually used as a lan output on the router )
do we need to connect the host PC directly to the primary router ( the one that have the internet )

Thanks for answers ! 

Mtsimmer.

Basically as long as everything is connected to everything else with a wire... it should all work swimmingly.
No idea if you'll all be able to get internet speeds worth using when that many people are connected, but you will all be able to connect to each other at least.

1 - There is no "limit for the ammount of connected devices connected to the internet behind one router (other than the pysical device limit of the router that depends on the hardware inside)

2 - using routers as switches works, but you need to do a bit of configuring beforehand, you need to disable DHCP (essentially preventing the switch-routers from distributing their own IP addresses to devices) if you do that then the routers will work as "dumb switches" but do not plug the lan cable into the INT port, rather simply plug it into another one of the RJ45 connectors on the switch/router

3 - there is no need to connect the PC hosting the LAN game on the "main switch"

54 minutes ago, Mtsimmer said:

Hi

everyone

my name is mtsimmer

Thanks for answers ! 

Mtsimmer.

Hi.

So I'll answer the questions in order you asked them.

1) There is not limit as long as the hopes are correctly configured.

2) When using a second router behind another router in the same subnet, that router has not to do NAT.

I'll write you down how you could set it up:

Modem -> Router (Could be Modem/Router if using ADSL) -> Router 1 has 192.168.1.1 as gateway and DHCP that assign from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253 IPs which are more than enough for 10 - 15 PCs (even for Wi-Fi devices) -> Router 2 assign its gateway as 192.168.1.254 so it stays in the subnet to not mess too much with the network but it has not to do NAT (so simply disable any WAN port and disable DHCP so the Router 1 can give the same range IPs to the PCs connected to Router 2 or switch with its devices connected to Router 2).

3) No. Since the server has to run in the same subnet you just have to run the server on any of the computer (or if you have a separate server no matter) and allow the port you are hosting it to the firewall (no need to portforward on router) and it is going to work just fine.

Hi 

Thank you very much for the answers everything should go great as much as the answers say 

One more time thanks you 

Mtsimmer.