Another i7 4790k hot thread

Hey all :D 

From what i've seen about this chip is that it heats up like the old USSR and mine is no exception lol. I've got a h100i on it and it's still fluctuation like crazy! Just right now as i installed a game while watching a stream / facebook and this website open check corshair link and it spikes to 60oc! then just hovers around in the low 50s as it's installing the game. The one i had before i rma'd as under aida64 it went over 100oc but this one sits 60-62oc 5 hours in testing.

Before i had a i5 4690k overclocked to 4.9 and it never hit that temp doing anything other than streaming a cpu heavy game with the same h100i attached. I've tried re-seating the cpu 3-4 times with arctic silver 4 the only option i've thought of doing is delidding the cpu as i've heard they used some cheap stuff or they didn't apply it properly in the warehouse weather that's true i dont know just read it a few time on tomshardware.

Any idea's? googling it is flooded with people having this problem. Thought I'd try here see if anyone has some insight :)

Thanks in advance 

James

What kind of voltage are you running it on?

My 3770 (non-k) was running at 100 under load at 1.35 volts (what the mobo automatically sent it)

As soon as I manually set the voltage to 1.26, the temps went down to mid 70s under load while keeping the same clocks.

When in doubt, re-format.

My motherboard is a gigabyte x97x gaming 5 and the voltage is at 1.173 i tried lowering it but i stream aswell like daily and anything below 1.170 and it bluescreens.

Sorry, I misread your first post, your CPU is sitting at 60ish after 5 hours of testing? That sounds like a perfectly good temp to me. (I thought this one was running at 100) The i7s can generate a lot more heat than the i5s when you have a workload that takes advantage of all the threads.

That low a voltage is great and you definitely shouldn't lower it any more.

okay some games when streaming like bf4 and games like rust and arma 3 sometimes it will spike to around 70oc is that something to worry about? i heard i7's spike alot because of all the threads etc like you said just now. I've heard as long as it doesn't go to 80 or above not to worry about it does that sound about right?

Just now, Recker said:

okay some games when streaming like bf4 and games like rust and arma 3 sometimes it will spike to around 70oc is that something to worry about? i heard i7's spike alot because of all the threads etc like you said just now. I've heard as long as it doesn't go to 80 or above not to worry about it does that sound about right?

I would just redo thermal paste, clean out your fans and do a virus scan if I were you. Could be some stuff using your CPU that you're not aware of. Otherwise there's not much you can do.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

I've already re-seating it 4 times now and cleaned it off with can't remember the name that proper alcohol stuff which i bought from amazon. and my case is spotless really fans nothing on them. I'm guessing its just the chip as googling it the posts for that cpu are unreal all about the same issue. Guess i have to live with it or upgrade to a i7 6700k if it's even worth it but thanks anyways Bit! 

I value silence over performance, I got my 4790K (4.4 on all cores, 1.2634v) under Silverstone TD02 with two Gentletyphoon AP-15.

Got an aggressively low fan curve set. 16% fan speed on idle, rising to max of 62%, only going over and hitting 100% when cores are over 78C.

Ambient: 26.7C

Idle: 35~

Peak: 81C xD

Load: 75~

What's truly annoying is how much variation are between the cores, not sure if that's normal. There's easily 6 degree disparity between cores. Like core 1 would be at 70 and core 4 would be at 64. (I've checked and the paste is fine.)

TBH I feel like I got a toasty one.

2 minutes ago, Recker said:

I've heard as long as it doesn't go to 80 or above not to worry about it does that sound about right?

Even 80c is ok for the computer under load, especially with how low your voltage is. Some will disagree with that, but occasionally hitting 80 under heavy load is perfectly fine for the cpu.

Yeah i've noticed that variation aswell crystal you're not alone one core will be at 36 and one will be at 41 its so weird but hey aslong as it stays below 70 underload im happy :P anymore and i start to get worried im going to fry the chip or take something out with it like burn the board out or something lol

@Recker I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" to the 6000 series, new ram new motherboard not worth the performance gain. Maybe Zen will be better than we think *even though we're overhyping it enough*

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Even 80c is ok for the computer under load, especially with how low your voltage is. Some will disagree with that, but occasionally hitting 80 under heavy load is perfectly fine for the cpu.

yeah that's literally the lowest i can go maybe 1.171 but i don't think that's exactly going to show anything in temps lol

Just now, Bit8xPr0 said:

@Recker I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" to the 6000 series, new ram new motherboard not worth the performance gain. Maybe Zen will be better than we think *even though we're overhyping it enough*

yeah i'm just going to stick with what i've got i've got a pretty decent rig right now really that cpu that board 2x gtx 970's should be pretty gucci for quite a while i guess :P waiting for the 1080 to go down in price which will be a while!

1 minute ago, Recker said:

Yeah i've noticed that variation aswell crystal you're not alone one core will be at 36 and one will be at 41 its so weird but hey aslong as it stays below 70 underload im happy :P anymore and i start to get worried im going to fry the chip or take something out with it like burn the board out or something lol

I read they are safe anywhere under 90C. So you shouldn't worry too much at 70 lol.

Just now, crystal6tak said:

I read they are safe anywhere under 90C. So you shouldn't worry too much at 70 lol.

Yeah i'm just worried about longevity that's all mate lol don't want to burn it out in like a year or 2 lol.

2 minutes ago, Recker said:

yeah i'm just going to stick with what i've got i've got a pretty decent rig right now really that cpu that board 2x gtx 970's should be pretty gucci for quite a while i guess :P waiting for the 1080 to go down in price which will be a while!

I'm still looking to pick up a 4770k or 4790k as well. I've got all the other parts, sold my i5 4590 and motherboard to my friend before I went to my moms in the summer. Not sure if there's anything I should add aesthetically to make it look good in the NZXT H440. Hope it performs good.

Just now, Bit8xPr0 said:

I'm still looking to pick up at 4770k or 4790k as well. I've got all the other parts, sold my i5 4590 and motherboard to my friend before I went to my moms in the summer. Not sure if there's anything I should add aesthetically to make it look good in the NZXT H440. Hope it performs good.

tbh the 4790k seems to perform pretty dam well. I changed my i5 4690k which was a beast for the i7 4790k mainly for streaming purposes really so it could handle a higher preset and handle more abuse the i5 just couldn't handle the beating as much as this one can. All in all its a pretty solid cpu 

Just now, Recker said:

tbh the 4790k seems to perform pretty dam well. I changed my i5 4690k which was a beast for the i7 4790k mainly for streaming purposes really so it could handle a higher preset and handle more abuse the i5 just couldn't handle the beating as much as this one can. All in all its a pretty solid cpu 

Exactly the reason I want to go from i5 4590 to i7 47**k especially sine I had fun overclocking my old FX 6300 to 4.5GHZ. How much better does it handle streaming, my i5 always showed that "High cpu usage warning" in the bottom right of OBS even at 720P 3500mB

It handles streaming pretty well tbh haven't played a game yet where that message even showed up really either at 30fps or 60fps. Would stream at 60fps if none partner could use the bitrate for it too look good :(. I did do a test of battlefield 4 at medium preset 60fps 15k bitrate and cpu usages was at like 70% lol

Just now, Recker said:

It handles streaming pretty well tbh haven't played a game yet where that message even showed up really either at 30fps or 60fps. Would stream at 60fps if none partner could use the bitrate for it too look good :(. I did do a test of battlefield 4 at medium preset 60fps 15k bitrate and cpu usages was at like 70% lol

I wish my upload speeds were that good, stupid southern utah hasn't caught up. 60 down 5 UP, it's pathetic because people here think that's fast.

Just now, Bit8xPr0 said:

Exactly the reason I want to go from i5 4590 to i7 47**k especially sine I had fun overclocking my old FX 6300 to 4.5GHZ. How much better does it handle streaming, my i5 always showed that "High cpu usage warning" in the bottom right of OBS even at 720P 3500mB

Never used an i5 before, but mine chugged along pretty fine.

Once used:

Maya

Photoshop

20+ Chrome windows

2 Word document

1 PDF

Line

Other minor programs like Sticky notes, notepad, folders, etc.

Didn't felt any slowdowns until I hit my RAM limit (was 8GB at the time I believe)

I came from using an 8350, very happy with the 4790K :)

Just now, crystal6tak said:

I've got an 8350 as well, not tested working though. Just impulsively bought it for like $115 combo'd with an H60 cooler lol.

Just now, Bit8xPr0 said:

I wish my upload speeds were that good, stupid southern utah hasn't caught up. 60 down 5 UP, it's pathetic because people here think that's fast.

The only game my i5 struggled to stream was the division couldn't even stream that with quicksync had to use the nvidia one. Still need to try it on my i7 as that game is a cpu whore! 

Yeah i could just push it too the limit as money isn't really a issue could just buy another cpu without worrying about it but i'll just keep it as it is :P 

1 hour ago, Recker said:

Yeah i could just push it too the limit as money isn't really a issue could just buy another cpu without worrying about it but i'll just keep it as it is :P 

Have you tried lowering the voltage in your BIOS? I have a 3770 (non k) and that was at 70-80 degrees when over clocked to 4.3ghz using the stock voltage which was around 1.25 volts. I lowered my oc to 4.1ghz and lowered the voltage and now when gaming the temps don't go over 50 degrees

CPU - i7-10700K, MB -MSI Z490 Gaming PlusRAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz, GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO, PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 80+ GoldStorage - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB ,WD 3x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Cooler- Noctua NH-D15S, CASE Fractal Meshify 2 Compact