Lightning struck my house and my PC is broken

trtiich
Go to solution Solved by GirlFromYonder,
8 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Hey everybody, 

Recently, there was a big thunderstorm in my area and a lightning struck my house. My router, TV and PC happened to be the only electronics to break. My ISP changed the router right away, we bought a new TV because the old one was messed up as it was already, BUT my PC is still broken. I am thinking it's the power supply that broke only, but I'm not sure I'm only 15. I am supposed to have a 5 year warranty on every computer part. Since I ordered all the parts from Switzerland I need to wait so long for them to get back to me, let alone send them the rig to fix and ship it back to me. Specs:

Intel core i7 4790(non-K, stock everything)

Gigabyte Z97-HD3

Corsair CX 750W

Kingston Savage 8GB RAM

Kingston SSD and Seagate HDD.

How can I verify that it's the ppwer supply only that needs to be replaced? When I press the power button literally nothing happens. I already tried a few different power cables and so far nothing works.

Thank you in advance!

try a different psu but yes get it to a tech repair shop

Hey everybody, 

Recently, there was a big thunderstorm in my area and a lightning struck my house. My router, TV and PC happened to be the only electronics to break. My ISP changed the router right away, we bought a new TV because the old one was messed up as it was already, BUT my PC is still broken. I am thinking it's the power supply that broke only, but I'm not sure I'm only 15. I am supposed to have a 5 year warranty on every computer part. Since I ordered all the parts from Switzerland I need to wait so long for them to get back to me, let alone send them the rig to fix and ship it back to me. Specs:

Gigabyte Z97-HD3

Corsair CX 750W

Kingston Savage 8GB RAM

How can I verify that it's the ppwer supply only that needs to be replaced? When I press the power button literally nothing happens. I already tried a few different power cables and so far nothing works.

Thank you in advance!

5 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Thank you in advance!

I recommend you take it to a computer repair shop close to you, you don't wanna take any chances with the power supply.

All of the computer shops I have here charge for anything (fixing, inspecting...). If I could RMA it, that would be the best, but I don't know if I have the right to because it's not my nor their fault.

More than likely most of the components are fried. But, if you want to test your PSU without a mobo .

8 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Hey everybody, 

Gigabyte Z97-HD3

Corsair CX 750W

Kingston Savage 8GB RAM

Thank you in advance!

try a different psu but yes get it to a tech repair shop

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, Torn said:

More than likely most of the components are fried. But, if you want to test your PSU without a mobo .

I'll test the power supply, but what about other parts? How can I know that they are(n't) okay?

Just now, trtiich said:

I'll test the power supply, but what about other parts? How can I know that they are(n't) okay?

swap test

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

swap test

What's that? And I don't have a spare PSU lying around

5 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

If getting your comp to a repair shop isn't an option. Next option is finding someone willing with a similar system and swap out part by part to eliminate fried components.

1 minute ago, trtiich said:

What's that? And I don't have a spare PSU lying around

a computer shop. that is what i did

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

a computer shop. that is what i did

Thanks, I'll take it to the shop later today. If my parts are fried I can only buy new ones? I do have warranty.

5 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Thanks, I'll take it to the shop later today. If my parts are fried I can only buy new ones? I do have warranty.

Probably no

Just now, Torn said:

Probably no

Fuck. Well I guess high end comes with a high price. Thank you guys for helping out!

Just now, trtiich said:

Fuck. Well I guess high end comes with a high price. Thank you guys for helping out!

well it never hurts to try, usely u do get an rma. At elast i send mine stuff directly to intel and gigabyte. THey send it back to me even tho the processor was bclk overclocked(void warranty) and the mobo was probably fine(they rmaed it)

Build

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, trtiich said:

I feel your pain, there's a good reason I run to unplug my electronics when I hear thunder.

Did you have it plugged in to a surge protector?

I edit my posts a lot.

4 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Did you have it plugged in to a surge protector?

Surge protectors do nothing for lightning strikes.

Might just be stating the obvious here but have you got contents insurance and have you checked to see if you are covered for "acts of god"? 

Lightning beats surge protector. Home and contents insurance beats lightning.

2 minutes ago, Torn said:

Surge protectors do nothing for lightning strikes.

Oh I thought they would fail and stop damage to things like a fuse.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, Lord_Radford said:

Might just be stating the obvious here but have you got contents insurance and have you checked to see if you are covered for "acts of god"? 

Acts of God?!

Were these insurance descriptions written in the 1800s?!

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Lightning beats surge protector. Home and contents insurance beats lightning.

so if i buy a $7000 pc with 4 1080, i also buy insurance with it?

Build

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Oh I thought they would fail and stop damage to things like a fuse.

Oh they will fail, but you're talking about a spark that can jump "MILES" going around a fuse is not a challenge.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

Acts of God?!

Were these insurance descriptions written in the 1800s?!

Hahaha I know I know.. Don't know if this extends to other parts of Europe but a lot of UK policies still use this terminology for lightning, storm damage, flood damage etc.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Radford said:

Hahaha I know I know.. Don't know if this extends to other parts of Europe but a lot of UK policies still use this terminology for lightning, storm damage, flood damage etc.

Same nonsense in Canada. I prefer Wrath of Mother Nature. But noone listens to me.