Requiem - A Midrange Build With A Twist

qGxFaUX.png

Overview:

Requiem is a small, clean, mATX build in the Corsair Carbide Air 240 with midrange components along with a unique casemod: a touchscreen controller mounted to the front of the case. The touchscreen is powered by an Arduino Mega with features that currently include an always on clock, fan control via PWM, led strip dimming, and an one press backup of the main hard drive. The controller will be able to be modified on the fly due to an internal USB connection that will also supply the necessary power for the Arduino.

The rig will be used for mainly gaming, programming, and 3D modelling/design. No set budget currently.

Progress:

• Purchased the case
  • Added the cutout and screw holes on the front panel for the touchscreen
  • Made much progress on the software side of the controller
  • Test fit the touchscreen and tested clock and fan control

TO-DO:

• Paint the fan grills of the case
  • Complete the LED Dim and Backup function
  • 3D Print enclosure for controller electronics (or just get one at the right size)
  • Make fan shrouds out of acrylic
  • Figure out components
  • Illuminate back of motherboard.

Spoiler

20160721_173336.jpg20160721_143506.jpg20160721_173353.jpg20160721_173400.jpg

For those wondering about the previous build log Amaryllis, I posted before. After deciding I would use the Corsair Air 240 rather than the NZXT S340, I will be dropping that build. Other than the case change, it really is the same project with similar goals and mods.

Any feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.

Testing of the controller below, showcasing the clock and the fan control.

Please excuse the poor video quality and sound. Was too lazy to pull out the DSLR and tripod. More of just documentation of progress. Will be doing better shots later on.

2 minutes ago, Brinith said:

~snip~

Looks very nice thus far! I have to say, the Air 240 & 540 are quite nice, shame they are a bit expensive though :( 

Also...:

• What's your intended purpose(s)?
  • A budget if any? (Including currency)

Could you explain a bit more about the "controller/touchscreen"..? I'm a little bit lost :P

• Is that "controller/touchscreen" just to be used for the fans and.or cooling in the case?
  • Where did you get it from and for how much?
  • And finally, did you manually cut out some of the case in order to keep it how and where it is?

This whole project is looking very nice thus far and I can't wait to see more B|

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

7 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Looks very nice thus far! I have to say, the Air 240 & 540 are quite nice, shame they are a bit expensive though :( 

Also...:

• What's your intended purpose(s)?
  • A budget if any? (Including currency)

Could you explain a bit more about the "controller/touchscreen"..? I'm a little bit lost :P

• Is that "controller/touchscreen" just to be used for the fans and or cooling in the case?
  • Where did you get it from and for how much?
  • And finally, did you manually cut out some of the case in order to keep it how and where it is?

This whole project is looking very nice thus far and I can't wait to see more B|

I don't really have a set budget, more of we will see how much of my money goes down the drain. The Air 240 I picked up for $60 so it really isn't too expensive of a case compared to other mATX cases.

The rig will be used for mainly gaming, programming, and 3D modelling/design.

The controller is an Arduino Mega (well a knockoff, but works exactly the same) and the display is a 3.5" touchscreen from Adafruit. In total, the cost of the parts for the controller were around $50 USD. Most of the parts I already had.

The touchscreen controller isn't just for fans. By default, it serves as an always on clock display. Interacting with the touchscreen, you can cycle through menus. Currently I have fan control fully up and running. Next will be LED control and automatic backup of HDDs. Since the Arduino is connected through the internal USB header, it will be able to be modified and reprogrammed on the fly without ever needing to take of the case (unless I am adding features that require additional hardware). So whenever I think of a new feature, I can easily add it in.

I cut the front panel using a Dremel and carefully filing the edge (I screwed up and cut too far, but I plan on either covering it up or filling in the cavity) Then I drilled 4 four holes that line up with the mounting holes of the touchscreen module.

1 minute ago, Brinith said:

The rig will be used for mainly gaming, programming, and 3D modelling/design.

No way!

My build will also be the same, no joke. I love all of those things! My build currently is a WIP (Work In Progress) but it's coming along, very slowly. Just gotta save up which is going to be the longest part. >:( 

2 minutes ago, Brinith said:

more of we will see how much of my money goes down the drain.

I was originally going for a £1,500 (GBP) build but now it looks like it's gonna hit £2,000+, RIP.

Me and you are in the same boat (Meaning we have very similar things) it seems, hahaha xD 

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

That looks very cool, the UI on the looks super sleek as well, but I guess there's no way of implementing a gesture other than tapping? If you could adjust the fan speed by rotating your finger around the outer circle, that would be much more intuitive than tapping on an invisible button. For LEDs having multiple sliders or something like the triangle colour picker in photoshop would be amazing.

You say it's connected through the internal header, but doesn't that mean that the clock will turn off when the PC turns off? If you were to connect the power input of the Arduino to the +5VSB rail of the PSU, it could run all the time, even when the PC is turned off. Then you could even use the touchscreen as a power-button if you wanted, but with the position you chose for the screen that would be a little nonsensical now.

4 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

That looks very cool, the UI on the looks super sleek as well, but I guess there's no way of implementing a gesture other than tapping? If you could adjust the fan speed by rotating your finger around the outer circle, that would be much more intuitive than tapping on an invisible button. For LEDs having multiple sliders or something like the triangle colour picker in photoshop would be amazing.

You say it's connected through the internal header, but doesn't that mean that the clock will turn off when the PC turns off? If you were to connect the power input of the Arduino to the +5VSB rail of the PSU, it could run all the time, even when the PC is turned off. Then you could even use the touchscreen as a power-button if you wanted, but with the position you chose for the screen that would be a little nonsensical now.

I am sure there is a way to detect swiping, but I will definitely have to research more into it. I agree, rotating around the circle would be much cooler. Like clockwise to increase and counter clockwise to decrease.

The problem with attaching the arduino to the 5V rail is that I would have to manually turn off the fans and LEDs when I turn the computer off with the current implementation. Besides, I put my computer to standby most of the time anyways, so it isn't too much of a problem. Not to mention, I am addicted to the tactile power button on the Air 240. 

UPDATE: I may or may have not screwed up the front panel lol.

Fortunately, a replacement front panel is on its way.

In the meantime, I will be working on painting the grills and fans as well as start purchasing components.