Windows 8 on a partition

fuzedzn

So after figuring out my problems with BF4 Beta not been able to run on my 6100,

I have only gotten around 30fps even on low settings, However. People have reported better FPS on windows 8 so i created a partition from my storage drive and decided to install windows 8.1 preview.

When i got to installation it said that i couldn't install to the partition because it wasn't formatted for MBR or GPT.

Could anyone give me any ideas on how to format the drive for this? 

Should i repost this in the storage section?

(I don't want to upgrade my windows 7 to windows 8. And if its any help.. I currently dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

S'fairly self explanatory?

Format the partition with MBR or GPT, then install?

Well it's fairly clear, the partition you created needs to be on the legacy MBR (non-UEFI system), or GPT (Fully supported UEFI and enabled).

I think the problem is that you are splitting your Linux partition for Windows 8, and not your Windows 7 one.

What I suggest you do is use a partition software that you can boot from (GParted  - free), and from there make your partition, format it as GPT or MBR depending on if your system fully support UEFI or not, and which setting you set it to in the BIOS/UEFI setup, and you are done, and ready to install Windows 8.

S'fairly self explanatory?

Format the partition with MBR or GPT, then install?

Sorry, i was ment to say "How do i format for this"

Well it's fairly clear, the partition you created needs to be on the legacy MBR (non-UEFI system), or GPT (Fully supported UEFI and enabled).

I think the problem is that you are splitting your Linux partition for Windows 8, and not your Windows 7 one.

What I suggest you do is use a partition software that you can boot from (GParted  - free), and from there make your partition, format it as GPT or MBR depending on if your system fully support UEFI or not, and which setting you set it to in the BIOS/UEFI setup, and you are done, and ready to install Windows 8.

Well i have Ubuntu and Windows 7 on the same drive rather than another partition.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Well i have Ubuntu and Windows 7 on the same drive rather than another partition.

It probably confuses Windows 8 setup, as the boot partition has been replaced by Ubuntu's one and not Windows.

Follow what I said, it should theoretically work.

Sorry, i was ment to say "How do i format for this"

Try just navigating to Computer from Windows and seeing what it says about the partition in there. If you can see it, double click it and it should say it needs to be formatted, then just select the one you want.

If you can't see it you can try to find it in the disk manager (type "disk manage" in the start menu searchbar) and do it that way.

Like Goodbytes said, it's probably because you have Ubuntu on the same drive and it doesn't like the current format. His method could work too if Windows won't let you format it correctly.

It probably confuses Windows 8 setup, as the boot partition has been replaced by Ubuntu's one and not Windows.

Follow what I said, it should theoretically work.

Ok, I'll take a look but messing with partitions and my hdd is the worst ever 'cause i have no way of backing up my data :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Ok, I'll take a look but messing with partitions and my hdd is the worst ever 'cause i have no way of backing up my data :/

So go to the store and get some DVD's or USB flash drive, and backup data you can't live without in the case things goes bad. You should always be doing this in any case.

You can also use SkyDrive to backup your stuff on the cloud and have them in sync between your computers.

If you get WIndows 8 as your main OS, have a look at File History for your backuping. All you need is an another HDD (not partition) where Windows can do backups every (you select: 10min, 30min, 1h, daily, weekly, and everything in between pretty much). This also allows you to go back in time on a file or folder, even if it was deleted. Saved me several times.

If you re-install Windows 8, no problem. All you need to do is re-enable FileHistory, and Windows 8 will re-detect everything and RESUME backup. Last version of the files are accessible by any system. It will be at: <Drive>:\FileHistory\<Account Name>\<Computer Name>\Data\.

So go to the store and get some DVD's or USB flash drive, and backup data you can't live without in the case things goes bad. You should always be doing this in any case.

You can also use SkyDrive to backup your stuff on the cloud and have them in sync between your computers.

If you get WIndows 8 as your main OS, have a look at File History for your backuping. All you need is an another HDD (not partition) where Windows can do backups every (you select: 10min, 30min, 1h, daily, weekly, and everything in between pretty much). This also allows you to go back in time on a file or folder, even if it was deleted. Saved me several times.

If you re-install Windows 8, no problem. All you need to do is re-enable FileHistory, and Windows 8 will re-detect everything and RESUME backup. Last version of the files are accessible by any system. It will be at: <Drive>:\FileHistory\<Account Name>\<Computer Name>\Data\.

It'd be over 500gb of data to back up and if im honest, Cash isn't coming out of my arse to just go and get another new hdd lol

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

<_< You really have 500GB of important data?

You movies backups can be remade, you have the origins disks. For your games, which I bet more than half you don't currently play, can be re downloaded... for starters.

Backup your pictures, 'cause we don't have a time machine to go back and require them.

And the day your drive will fail, you'll see how a backup drive will becomes insanely cheap.

<_< You really have 500GB of important data?

You movies backups can be remade, you have the origins disks. For your games, which I bet more than half you don't currently play, can be re downloaded... for starters.

Backup your pictures, 'cause we don't have a time machine to go back and require them.

And the day your drive will fail, you'll see how a backup drive will becomes insanely cheap.

Well ok its not 500GB of important data but i would rather back everything up rather than going through everything and picking stuff out :P

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Sooooo... doing nothing in terms of backup is better, than going through your important stuff, to make backup?

:mellow:

Even if you decide to remove Ubuntu, and do a Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade process (and put Ubuntu back afterwards), what happens if by bad luck the upgrade process fails, let alone installing back Ubuntu afterwards? And you don't need to look far, to read stories about OS upgrade or simple Service Pack forces some people to format and re-install.

Also, why isn't your HDD split in 2 partitions? C:\ Windows, D:\ Everything else?

Like this you have all your personal data on your D:\ partition, so if you ever need to re-install Windows, or decide to switch OS, you don't need to backup all your stuff.

That is how I have mine setup. It doesn't give you backup protection if the HDD fails (but I did mention I do backups), but if Windows craps out by me, or I don't know Windows 8.1 upgrade form Windows 8 fails by bad luck, I am not screwed. I can just pop the disk in, and format re-install C:\ drive. I have nothing inside of interest. All my data is on my D:\ partition. I also install my program in my D:\ partition, as it's the largest, while C:\ is reserved for Windows only, so that I am not stuck with low space issues (been doing this since... Windows 2000 I think.. maybe 98, I don't recall), never had to extend the C:\ partition.

Sooooo... doing nothing in terms of backup is better, than going through your important stuff, to make backup?

:mellow:

Even if you decide to remove Ubuntu, and do a Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade process (and put Ubuntu back afterwards), what happens if by bad luck the upgrade process fails, let alone installing back Ubuntu afterwards? And you don't need to look far, to read stories about OS upgrade or simple Service Pack forces some people to format and re-install.

Also, why isn't your HDD split in 2 partitions? C:\ Windows, D:\ Everything else?

Like this you have all your personal data on your D:\ partition, so if you ever need to re-install Windows, or decide to switch OS, you don't need to backup all your stuff.

That is how I have mine setup. It doesn't give you backup protection if the HDD fails (but I did mention I do backups), but if Windows craps out by me, or I don't know Windows 8.1 upgrade form Windows 8 fails by bad luck, I am not screwed. I can just pop the disk in, and format re-install C:\ drive. I have nothing inside of interest. All my data is on my D:\ partition. I also install my program in my D:\ partition, as it's the largest, while C:\ is reserved for Windows only, so that I am not stuck with low space issues (been doing this since... Windows 2000 I think.. maybe 98, I don't recall), never had to extend the C:\ partition.

I don't have my C drive in 2 partitions because it was never something i knew how to do when i set the system up... 

And i wouldn't upgrade windows 7 to 8....

Tbh, I'm not even going to bother doing it now 'cause i'm not going to mess with my hdds anymore.. i thought it would be as simple as changing the format of the partition via the click of some buttons

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3