Old PSU for New Pc :)

phauxshaux

yes, it'll work fine

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Most likely just fine.   The 6700k is actually less energy intensive than the Q6600.

FWIW, I run an old 350W PSU from ~2000 (Enermax) on an Ivy Bridge system.  No video card, but it works just great.  The new gear is incredibly energy efficient.

Thanks for the reassurance and the box says 80 plus cert:).. I;m just curious some boards use 24pin and 8 pin. But i found this MSI Gaming Xpower titanium Mobo

and it uses 24 pin, 8pin, 4pin and a 6 pin. Is the 6 pin just a pci-e?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130870

Why do some use so many on Mobo and others use far less? Looks like my Asus Hero just using a 24 pin and 8pin.

1 hour ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

Check the rating, if its 80+, itll work great

That doesn't make any difference as it is only the efficiency rating.

30 minutes ago, phauxshaux said:

Thanks for the reassurance and the box says 80 plus cert:).. I;m just curious some boards use 24pin and 8 pin. But i found this MSI Gaming Xpower titanium Mobo

and it uses 24 pin, 8pin, 4pin and a 6 pin. Is the 6 pin just a pci-e?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130870

Why do some use so many on Mobo and others use far less? Looks like my Asus Hero just using a 24 pin and 8pin.

You don't need to use the extra 6 pin pcie connector on the motherboard. It just provides additional power to the pcie x16 slots. The 4 pin ATX is also usually the same thing i.e provides additional power to the cpu for overclocking. It should work just fine with the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin cpu connected.

5 hours ago, phauxshaux said:

and it uses 24 pin, 8pin, 4pin and a 6 pin. Is the 6 pin just a pci-e?

Without actually reading the motherboard manual, I would guess that the extra 4-pin connector is basically to make it easier for those who only have a 4-pin ATX power connector. (The 4-pin can normally be plugged into 1/2 of the 8-pin, but this would make it more idiot-proof.)

The extra 6-pin connector is just to supply extra power to the PCIe x16 slots, which is normally not needed, but might help if the graphics card is overclocked. (Depending upon how the card apportions power from the PCIe slot.)

But, of course, check the manual. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

8 hours ago, phauxshaux said:

Hi, Will this eight year old Antec TruePower Quatrro 1000w (NIB was a warranty replacement) work in my new Asus Max VIII Hero, 6700k CPU and 660ti? I plan to purchase a new GPU Monitor near future. Finally upgrading from a q6600/4GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

Thanks, much help appreciated.

Should be fine

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 hours ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

Check the rating, if its 80+, itll work great

No... NOOOOO. That isn't how that works.

So couple days ago I had asked Antec techsupport and they just send a response . Not the response i want to hear but they took a safe bet i guess. Now paranoia is setting back in :(.

"Thank you for contacting Antec Technical Support. I would advise against using that PSU. Even though it may not be used, the capacitors have aged over time. In addition, I don't think that PSU is Haswell compatible, let alone Skylake compatible. There could be problems with the newer implemented low power states on new components such as yours"

On 7/21/2016 at 2:44 AM, lee32uk said:

That doesn't make any difference as it is only the efficiency rating.

Not true, the wattage is fine and the rating is fine, accompanied by the fact that Antec is a trusted brand.

4 hours ago, SuperMonkey507 said:

Not true, the wattage is fine and the rating is fine, accompanied by the fact that Antec is a trusted brand.

Huh ? I am referring to your quote when you said check the rating and if it is 80+ it will be fine. That doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the psu, only it's efficiency.

You also can't just go off the brand name either, as that doesn't guarantee that you will get a good quality unit i.e Corsair have the VS, EVGA have the W1 etc. Antec use Seasonic and Delta for a large part of their range, but you still need to check on an individual basis, as there are still some lower quality units mixed in there (Basiq,VP etc).

On 7/22/2016 at 1:41 AM, phauxshaux said:

"Thank you for contacting Antec Technical Support. I would advise against using that PSU. Even though it may not be used, the capacitors have aged over time. In addition, I don't think that PSU is Haswell compatible, let alone Skylake compatible. There could be problems with the newer implemented low power states on new components such as yours"

The part about the capacitors is ominous. It sounds as though they may have been caught up in that leaky capacitor issue from a few years back. You should open it up and see if you can see any signs of leakage or bloating around the can-type capacitors. (Google "leaky capacitors to find images of what to look for.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The low power states are not a problem if you turn them off in the BIOS.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

13 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Huh ? I am referring to your quote when you said check the rating and if it is 80+ it will be fine. That doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the psu, only it's efficiency.

You also can't just go off the brand name either, as that doesn't guarantee that you will get a good quality unit i.e Corsair have the VS, EVGA have the W1 etc. Antec use Seasonic and Delta for a large part of their range, but you still need to check on an individual basis, as there are still some lower quality units mixed in there (Basiq,VP etc).

So how do you check the quality without rating, wattage, or brand? I'm curious.