mATX am3+ build planning

swansburg

hey everyone,

I recently started taking a more minimalist approach to things so I decided i should switch the pc over to a smaller form factor. So since there is no mITX motherboards for am3+ which is unfortunate i'm planning on making the build mATX. Since i have never built a small form factor PC I was wondering if you guys could help me a out with a few things.

What i have for parts:

GPU: asus 770

CPU: AMD 8350

PSU: corsair hx750, though im not sure if i will be able to use it since its extended form factor

Ram: Corsair vengeance pro 8x2gb

Storage: samsung 840 250gb

What i need:

Case: maybe lian-li v354b, prodigy-m

CPU cooling: depending on the case im hoping to fit a h100 or an h110

motherboard: maybe gigabyte ga-78lmt

Any ideas would be appreciated

For mATX I would go for these cases:

Corsair 350D
Fractal Design Arc Mini (or the R2 variant that is supposed to come out some time this year)

Prodigy M

Phenom mATX (although the airflow is quite questionable)

Also look here for some good motherboards, particularly the VRM.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

For the case, I would recommend the 350D (Massive fanboy of the obsidian series)

Swiftech H220 if you can find one, or go with a h100i.

As for the mobo, not really sure...I always go with Intel on the small form-factor builds.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

For mATX you should go for Intel IMO, there aren't any very good mATX motherboard for the AM3+ socket

Or stick with the 8350 and get an ATX build instead

For mATX you should go for Intel IMO, there aren't any very good mATX motherboard for the AM3+ socket

There is also the reason that the majority of them don't have 2 PCIE 3.0 slots. (Well from the ones that I have seen on uk.pcpartpicker)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Or stick with the 8350 and get an ATX build instead

i might end up going with intel just because there is hardly any support for small form factor AMD builds, which makes me sad since you cant really get anything better than an 8350 for the price.

i might end up going with intel just because there is hardly any support for small form factor AMD builds, which makes me sad since you cant really get anything better than an 8350 for the price.

If you cut the 770 and get a 7970, or R9-280X instead, you'll be able to put the saved money on a 4670k + mATX motherboard. You're sad because you can't get the 8350 which is a very good value, yet you get a 770 which is not a good value compared to a 7970. Especially now when you can get a 7970 for 270$, and the 770 is still at 400-420$.