Freshly Install Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
6 hours ago, Leonsroses said:

Hey guys,

So I have a old laptop from 2012 that I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year (2015), but it has some problems and it's very slow.

Problems:

- Crashes

- Freezes

- Very slow

So I had the idea of freshly installing Windows 10, so all the clutter on the Windows files disappear and the PC runs faster. But I've never done a fresh install of Windows trough a digital from (I've only done it with a Windows install disc).

I watched some videos on Youtube for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0KFR09Svc

But the question I have is: After formatting and reinstalling Windows 10, will it ask me for the product key?

I have the Product key on the back of the Laptop of Windows 7, will it be the same key as the newly upgraded Windows 10?

Thank you for all answers,

Leonsroses

You can preform a reset through the recovery options given in Windows 10. However to answer your question, during a fresh install of Windows 10 it will ask for a product key. However, if Windows 10 had previously been install and activated on that machine then you can just skip this part. It should ask twice if I remember. Just skip that part, there is a button to do so. Once the machine is done with the install and connected to the internet, it should see that your machine was previously activated with Windows 10 and reactivate you licence. Microsoft stores activation's on their servers now, making it easy to do reinstall. 

Hey guys,

So I have a old laptop from 2012 that I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year (2015), but it has some problems and it's very slow.

Problems:

- Crashes

- Freezes

- Very slow

So I had the idea of freshly installing Windows 10, so all the clutter on the Windows files disappear and the PC runs faster. But I've never done a fresh install of Windows trough a digital from (I've only done it with a Windows install disc).

I watched some videos on Youtube for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0KFR09Svc

But the question I have is: After formatting and reinstalling Windows 10, will it ask me for the product key?

I have the Product key on the back of the Laptop of Windows 7, will it be the same key as the newly upgraded Windows 10?

Leonsroses

Do a factory reset from the settings menu (This is the same as installing fresh). If it asks for a key, the windows 7 one should work in theory, but you can ring Microsoft for manual activation if it doesn't work.

What are the specs of the laptop? You can probably improve the speed massively by changing the HDD for an SSD.

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Didn't know windows released W100, brb downloading.

I can't believe they skipped windows 90, how confusing!

I edit my posts a lot.

i wouldnt advise reformattign unless you have a microsoft account, if you dont have one make one with the computer you are going to format, once you have done that get the image onto a usb / disk, boot into it and follow instructions there, when it asks to to a notmal or advanced instilation go to advanced and delete all partitions then click next and windows will get all the partitions, at some point it will ask you for a key though you can click that you dont have one (small text ) when you log in with your windows id again it will activate

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I can't believe they skipped windows 90, how confusing!

Pissed me off too but it was worth the wait! HYPE

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

Do a factory reset from the settings menu. If it asks for a key, the windows 7 one should work in theory, but you can ring Microsoft for manual activation if it doesn't work.

What are the specs of the laptop? You can probably improve the speed massively by changing the HDD for an SSD.

The Specs are very low, but it should run faster than what it's currently running. I've already tried doing a factory reset, but the problems still remained. So that's why I would like to format the PC 100% and then reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch.

3 minutes ago, tsunoda said:

i wouldnt advise reformattign unless you have a microsoft account, if you dont have one make one with the computer you are going to format, once you have done that get the image onto a usb / disk, boot into it and follow instructions there, when it asks to to a notmal or advanced instilation go to advanced and delete all partitions then click next and windows will get all the partitions, at some point it will ask you for a key though you can click that you dont have one (small text ) when you log in with your windows id again it will activate

But will the product key remain the same as the old windows 7 one?

Because, I would prefer to do it without the microsoft account. :/

Just now, Leonsroses said:

But will the product key remain the same as the old windows 7 one?

Because, I would prefer to do it without the microsoft account. :/

I did it without the microsoft account and i lost my key, they didint give it back when i called. id just use the microsoft account and follow this : 

Just now, tsunoda said:

I did it without the microsoft account and i lost my key, they didint give it back when i called. id just use the microsoft account and follow this : 

Woah, so you tried to apply the same old key and it didn't work anymore?

Woah, so you tried to apply the same old key and it didn't work anymore?

no, I assume that microsoft takes the win 7 or 8 key and gives you a new one that they keep stored in your account. if you format without an account then you lose your key. 

1 minute ago, tsunoda said:

no, I assume that microsoft takes the win 7 or 8 key and gives you a new one that they keep stored in your account. if you format without an account then you lose your key. 

That is possible, I suppose it's a good idea to try this.

I edit my posts a lot.

So much misinformation here, lets clarify...

1) If you upgraded to Windows 10 then your activation is called digital entitlement.

2) If you want to keep a digital entitlement then you must have an MS account registered to your Windows 10 PC.

3) If you reformat your PC which is on a didigtal entitlement and don't have an account you'll lose your activation.

4) Windows 10 will accept a valid Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key for activation assuming you have the latest updates installed

5) Your older key will be converted to a Windows 10 license and will be registered to the machine its activated on, you cannot reuse the same 7, 8 or 8.1 key over and over again on different machines.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

1) If you upgraded to Windows 10 then your activation is called digital entitlement.

2) If you want to keep a digital entitlement then you must have an MS account registered to your Windows 10 PC.

3) If you reformat your PC which is on a didigtal entitlement and don't have an account you'll lose your activation.

4) Windows 10 will accept a valid Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key for activation assuming you have the latest updates installed

5) Your older key will be converted to a Windows 10 license and will be registered to the machine its activated on, you cannot reuse the same 7, 8 or 8.1 key over and over again on different machines.

thought this was the case.. thanks 

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So all I got to do is go to Settings < Accounts and then connect to rather with Microsoft Account?

Or do I need to go somewhere else?

So all I got to do is go to Settings < Accounts and then connect to rather with Microsoft Account?

Or do I need to go somewhere else?

yep

6 hours ago, Leonsroses said:

Hey guys,

Problems:

- Crashes

- Freezes

- Very slow

Leonsroses

You can preform a reset through the recovery options given in Windows 10. However to answer your question, during a fresh install of Windows 10 it will ask for a product key. However, if Windows 10 had previously been install and activated on that machine then you can just skip this part. It should ask twice if I remember. Just skip that part, there is a button to do so. Once the machine is done with the install and connected to the internet, it should see that your machine was previously activated with Windows 10 and reactivate you licence. Microsoft stores activation's on their servers now, making it easy to do reinstall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I reinstalled it and all went perfectly well. Now my laptop is faster and works very well.

Thank you to everybody :)