Help with my processor, idk

So I've been looking into building a new computer. I was planning on getting an Intel Core i5-6500 but they said it was very bad and that I should get an i7. Then they said to check out the i7-6700 or at least the i5-6600. So basically I am between these three CPUs and by the specs I see each one is better than the other, but I don't know how much it would matter. I see they aren't that different, the base frequency for the i7-6700 is just 0.2 GHz more than the i5-6500 but it does have twice the cache as the 6500 and 6600. And that's it. Would that really impact performance or should I go cheap? (Link if you want to check out the specs of each -> http://ark.intel.com/compare/88184,88188,88196)

Who is "they" who said an i5 6500 is "very bad".  For gaming especially an i5 6500 is fine.

Smoke Weed Every Day!

the i7 is hyper threaded, so it will preform significantly better.

it all depends on what you will be using your computer for, and how long it will be until your next upgrade

for most purposes, the i5 is totally fine.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

If you don't want to OC the i5 6500 is a great CPU for gaming. 

Well what are you going to be doing on this computer, as the 6700 would be better for things like Video Editing & Workstation things, as it is Hyperthreaded. If you are just gaming, and are on a budget, the 6500/6600 would be mighty fine if the money savings is worth it to you

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

Just now, Duduix said:

Who is "they" who said an i5 6500 is "very bad".  For gaming especially an i5 6500 is fine.

Well, a couple of friends who, are pretty lame at building computers, but they kept telling me "Oh, i7 is so much better" and "i5 sucks you need a better core" but by looking at all the specs I thought I didn't really need the cache nor the minor difference in frequency :/

They obviously don't know what there talking about.

Smoke Weed Every Day!

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

the i7 is hyper threaded, so it will preform significantly better.

it all depends on what you will be using your computer for, and how long it will be until your next upgrade

for most purposes, the i5 is totally fine.

Well I'm not planing to buy a new processor in like a year, but if so I think it is a pretty reasonable price for a good processor and I think it will do, Thx :)

1 minute ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Well what are you going to be doing on this computer, as the 6700 would be better for things like Video Editing & Workstation things, as it is Hyperthreaded. If you are just gaming, and are on a budget, the 6500/6600 would be mighty fine if the money savings is worth it to you

Yeah just for gaming and not much super-heavy workloads it looks fine, I'm not looking to spend $100 more for things I won't use :)

3 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

If you don't want to OC the i5 6500 is a great CPU for gaming. 

Yeah it doesn't look like worth the $100 extra :)

Just now, Filiman3421 said:

Wow, you guys are awesome

Thank you :3

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

Just now, Filiman3421 said:

Well, a couple of friends who, are pretty lame at building computers, but they kept telling me "Oh, i7 is so much better" and "i5 sucks you need a better core" but by looking at all the specs I thought I didn't really need the cache nor the minor difference in frequency :/

If you're going to place 1 graphics card and use the machine only to play games, the i5-6500 will do fine, as it's significantly cheaper than for example the i7-6700. I mean sure, the i7 is better than the i5, but the money you save by getting the i5, you may be able to use to get a beefier GPU.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

4 minutes ago, Filiman3421 said:

Well I'm not planing to buy a new processor in like a year, but if so I think it is a pretty reasonable price for a good processor and I think it will do, Thx :)

unless you will be keeping your PC for like 5 years with no CPU upgrade, the i5 is plenty powerful.

nobody upgrades their CPU every year

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4