Ethernet cable loses connection in wall jack.

akb8812

I had my house wired for ethernet last week and have several RJ-45 wall jacks around my house now. I'm very happy with it however the jacks seem kinda flimsy, the connector wiggles back and forth, left and right and if it's pulled it moves about a millimeter or two out of the jack but is still locked in but I lose the connection. With that said, the close to 30 ethernet jacks I use at work for PXE Windows installations are like that too. Today I tried to be extra forceful at work when plugging and unplugging and tried to pull and wiggle the cables and yes the same thing happens except that I don't lose the connection. It's annoying that a little movement of the cable could sever internet connectivity. I know these jacks are never that snug, except for the ports on few HP Probooks where you need superhuman strength to get the bloody thing out of it, but the connection shouldn't be lost cause a cat gently moves the cable.

Solutions?

3 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

I had my house wired for ethernet last week and have several RJ-45 wall jacks around my house now. I'm very happy with it however the jacks seem kinda flimsy, the connector wiggles back and forth, left and right and if it's pulled it moves about a millimeter or two out of the jack but is still locked in but I lose the connection. With that said, the close to 30 ethernet jacks I use at work for PXE Windows installations are like that too. Today I tried to be extra forceful at work when plugging and unplugging and tried to pull and wiggle the cables and yes the same thing happens except that I don't lose the connection. It's annoying that a little movement of the cable could sever internet connectivity. I know these jacks are never that snug, except for the ports on few HP Probooks where you need superhuman strength to get the bloody thing out of it, but the connection shouldn't be lost cause a cat gently moves the cable.

Solutions?

Sounds like either bad wall jacks, or bad RJ-45 ends. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds like either bad wall jacks, or bad RJ-45 ends. 

Could be, I haven't tested every single one but the three in the room where it happened are all like that. Although, I have one of them hooked up to a Smart TV and the tv doesn't seem to lose it's connection.

1 hour ago, akb8812 said:

Solutions?

I actually own a technology services company (and we often install CAT6 runs), and I can tell you that there really shouldn't be any play in the connector if quality jacks were used. Can you post a video of the "wiggle"?

I could try to do a video, the jacks are all under tables so the lighting is terrible. I'm at work now and looking at the 30+ connectors we have and it's the same flex/play and wiggle in them however I don't lose any connectivity despite being very forceful.

OK I tried to take a little video one how this looks. When I pull it up you can see it moves like a millimetre or so out of the socket but stays locked in. When that happens the connection is lost, the side to side wiggle seems to hold the connection.

The other jack is connected to a Smart TV and it wiggles too and all that except the TV doesn't lose any connectivity.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByNLR56Yjk6NQzRWdTRTRGlhckE