ASUS PB278Q

Crt

Hey there,

Looking in the market for a new monitor. I've bee using a Dell 2312HM for about 5 years now, it's a matte IPS screen, and I just got my first paycheck (I get paid monthly).

I was wondering if the Asus PB278Q is a decent option for 1440p. Anyone have experience with this monitor?

It's a good monitor but it's pretty old at this point. If I were you I wouldn't buy a 1440p monitor now. The jump to 2160p isn't much more expensive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Had this exact monitor a few years back, sold it to a friend though.

It's a great choice for 1440p however I would suggest going full 4K since the price isn't that different anymore.

If you haven't got the money for a 2160 though go for it, it's a great monitor, used it for video editing, no delay at all.

Best of luck!

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's a good monitor but it's pretty old at this point. If I were you I wouldn't buy a 1440p monitor now. The jump to 2160p isn't much more expensive.

Ah, that makes sense. My specs are

i5 6600k @ 4.2ghz

16GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz (I believe?)

GTX 780

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

looks good, what will you be using it for?

Well, I've been stuck at 1080p since like 2009.

I also started working and I just feel like having a second monitor or the ability to have two windows open side by side would help!

7 minutes ago, DJXelos said:

Had this exact monitor a few years back, sold it to a friend though.

It's a great choice for 1440p however I would suggest going full 4K since the price isn't that different anymore.

If you haven't got the money for a 2160 though go for it, it's a great monitor, used it for video editing, no delay at all.

Best of luck!

I'm looking for an IPS display, I'm a "casual gamer" that plays games like Hearthstone, light Overwatch, and mostly Garry's Mod as I'm an administrator for a few servers and I'm part of Wikia staff.

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

but scaling though...

I'm still using Windows 7, would that help or ruin the case for a 4K monitor?

8 minutes ago, Crt said:

I'm still using Windows 7, would that help or ruin the case for a 4K monitor?

Depends on how good your eyesight is. I use no scaling, but I know some people have trouble reading without it. Windows 10 solves a lot of these issues and quite honestly I don't see any reason not to upgrade - it is better than 7 in everything save maybe aesthetics.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Windows 10 free upgrade ends in 11 days better upgrade now especially for DX12 support. I recommend using spybot anti beacon to stop all the spying and data mining. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Depends on how good your eyesight is. I use no scaling, but I know some people have trouble reading without it. Windows 10 solves a lot of these issues and quite honestly I don't see any reason not to upgrade - it is better than 7 in everything save maybe aesthetics.

On my older PC,

i5 750 @ 3.9ghz

16GB DDR3 1520MHZ (Bottleneck because front-side bus and other limitations of the CPU not being unlocked)

It caused a lot of issues on Windows 10 such as the clock being wrong because Windows 8 - present switched to a virtual system clock than a RTC, and since my CPU didn't have an unlocked multiplier and other shenanigans, it caused malfunctions in applications that use the Unreal Engine like Smite and Blade and Soul, which caused the game to stutter real badly or give you speedhacks, and they both had automation against this and I was permabanned with terrible support team who didn't want to publicly say that their game engine had a huge exploit like this.

Following that, games like Rocket League and Heroes of the Storm suffered like a 20 frame dip compared to 7.

After that fiasco, I'm afraid of going back to 10 when it literally got me banned from pursuing e-sports on SMITE  and I'm more than disappointed as a 5+ year old customer with Hi-Rez, following them since the Global Agenda days.

18 minutes ago, Crt said:

On my older PC,

i5 750 @ 3.9ghz

16GB DDR3 1520MHZ (Bottleneck because front-side bus and other limitations of the CPU not being unlocked)

It caused a lot of issues on Windows 10 such as the clock being wrong because Windows 8 - present switched to a virtual system clock than a RTC, and since my CPU didn't have an unlocked multiplier and other shenanigans, it caused malfunctions in applications that use the Unreal Engine like Smite and Blade and Soul, which caused the game to stutter real badly or give you speedhacks, and they both had automation against this and I was permabanned with terrible support team who didn't want to publicly say that their game engine had a huge exploit like this.

Following that, games like Rocket League and Heroes of the Storm suffered like a 20 frame dip compared to 7.

After that fiasco, I'm afraid of going back to 10 when it literally got me banned from pursuing e-sports on SMITE  and I'm more than disappointed as a 5+ year old customer with Hi-Rez, following them since the Global Agenda days.

Do a backup and try a clean installation. If something goes wrong at least you can roll back in no time.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Do a backup and try a clean installation. If something goes wrong at least you can roll back in no time.

Ah, I'm on a more up to date PC, so I assume it's not a problem anymore. Just cautious, haha.

But the PB278Q isn't worth investing in?

1 minute ago, Crt said:

Ah, I'm on a more up to date PC, so I assume it's not a problem anymore. Just cautious, haha.

But the PB278Q isn't worth investing in?

I'd go for a uhd monitor instead. Unless the pb278q is heavily discounted or something.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*