Sharing a DC DVD drive as a network share?

Swinzon

Hey! I have every season of Family Guy on DVD, but no CD ROM for my Intel NUC 5i3RYH... 
I also have a NAS, with a CD ROM, is it possible to share the CD ROM over the network just like hard drives so I can watch Family Guy? :D

Thanks!

Yes

0.png

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

So, after testing it. It works, but VLC won`t start the episode OTN.... 

9 minutes ago, Swinzon said:

So, after testing it. It works, but VLC won`t start the episode OTN.... 

Does VLC give you any sort of error, or does it just act like it's trying to load the media forever?

Does VLC load & play the disc on your other computer with the disc drive physically attached?

2 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Does VLC give you any sort of error, or does it just act like it's trying to load the media forever?

Does VLC load & play the disc on your other computer with the disc drive physically attached?

It plays the files normally on the NAS, on mine it does not show any error. Only the "--:--" sign...

Now I came to the select menu for the episodes, but when I try to choose a episode VLC frezees....

Now it seem to work, using a LONG time tho

3 minutes ago, Swinzon said:

It plays the files normally on the NAS, on mine it does not show any error. Only the "--:--" sign...

Weird. I'm doing more looking into it now, but maybe on your NAS, you can go into the properties of the DVD drive share and make sure you have full permission to it from your other PC.

4 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Weird. I'm doing more looking into it now, but maybe on your NAS, you can go into the properties of the DVD drive share and make sure you have full permission to it from your other PC.

Already done

1 minute ago, Swinzon said:

Already done

Hm. From VLC, what method are you using to open the Disc? I know there's an open disc option in the menu, but if you go to file -> open and try to open one of the files on the DVD that way, can you get anything to play?

2 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Hm. From VLC, what method are you using to open the Disc? I know there's an open disc option in the menu, but if you go to file -> open and try to open one of the files on the DVD that way, can you get anything to play?

I am not able to open the disc since it`s not physicly attached to my HTPC (intel NUC), so I have to open every file in VLC

2 minutes ago, Swinzon said:

I am not able to open the disc since it`s not physicly attached to my HTPC (intel NUC), so I have to open every file in VLC

Maybe that's the issue. If you could Map the shared disc drive as a network drive with a letter, maybe then you could use the open disc option and everything would work.

3 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Maybe that's the issue. If you could Map the shared disc drive as a network drive with a letter, maybe then you could use the open disc option and everything would work.

IT is shared that way... I shared it just like a standard HDD

2 minutes ago, Swinzon said:

IT is shared that way... I shared it just like a standard HDD

So if it has a drive letter, why can't you use the file -> open disc option? Does VLC not detect that as a disc?