What for and When is a reservoir used in a water cooled build?

Hello,
I'v always wondered what for and when a reservoir is needed in a build, haven't been able to find much online about it. Was hoping someone here could help me. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, TheProphetGaming said:

Hello,
I'v always wondered what for and when a reservoir is needed in a build, haven't been able to find much online about it. Was hoping someone here could help me. Thanks. 

The reservoir holds the extra water in the loop. While you CAN make a loop without one, it is much easier and more convenient to have one.

When in doubt, re-format.

They're not actually needed, they just make filling, bleeding and maintaining a loop much easier. 

Their primary function is to provide an easy way to fill the loop, as well as keeping the liquid levels okay after the air has been bled out. You can just skip the reservoir in a loop and fill it using something like a T-Junction, though it's kind of a pain to do so.

Basically what others replied and it does look good to fill in the empty spots in your case if you have a big case.

7 minutes ago, TheProphetGaming said:

Hello,

It just is easier to fill and drain a loop. i also look better

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Among what the others have said, it also helps prevents cavitation depending on how your loop is set up. Cavitation is where air bubbles form in the loop and it causes the pump to make a grinding/choppy noise. It also severely reduces a pump's lifespan.

In AIOs it's not much of a problem because they can fill the entire loop up completely with virtually no air in the loop to cause cavitation, but it can still cause problems.

Honestly though I doubt this really is much of a problem. I just know that having your reservoir above the pump helps prevents this from occurring.

Alright, thank you all very much, now, If i was to get a reservoir, my gpu/cpu liquid cooling system would all have to be custom correct?