I need help with my GTX 1070 FE

Hello! I recently purchased the Nvidia 1070 Founders Edition graphics card to go along with my Intel i5-6600k processor and 16gbs of RAM. I am running the OEM version of Windows 10 if that helps.

Anyways, I feel like I am not getting the right performance when I started using the new card. Its weird because I was coming from a GTX 970 and almost feel like its identical to that performance. I will run the bench marking software I use, 3DMark and get a score of 4900 just like I did or close to like I did with the GTX 970. Its really low compared to what others are getting with the same specs. Please help me, I am sure I goofed somewhere and just need to be told where. Thanks so much!

4 minutes ago, GoodGuyGav said:

Hello! I recently purchased the Nvidia 1070 Founders Edition graphics card to go along with my Intel i5-6600k processor and 16gbs of RAM. I am running the OEM version of Windows 10 if that helps.

Anyways, I feel like I am not getting the right performance when I started using the new card. Its weird because I was coming from a GTX 970 and almost feel like its identical to that performance. I will run the bench marking software I use, 3DMark and get a score of 4900 just like I did or close to like I did with the GTX 970. Its really low compared to what others are getting with the same specs. Please help me, I am sure I goofed somewhere and just need to be told where. Thanks so much!

go download DDU LINK and uninstall all your drivers then reinstall the newest for Nvidia and retest. Probably got residual driver issues from your 970 left on your machine. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Is it possible to post your full specs (including overclocks)? It'll make it easier to diagnose your problem. 

I'm thinking that there could be a bottleneck or you didn't clean install your driver.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

Sorry I dont do much of forum using how do I go about adding in my specs? I will go through and get rid of all the old drivers as well. Thanks a lot!

Only thing I can think of is which slot is your GPU in. Is it in the PCI X16 or X4 slot? Make sure it is in the highest GPU slot on the motherboard.

Also, the FE is a bit of a waste. You could've saved money by going with a normal aftermarket card.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

Thanks! I got it for a good deal so it was very impulse but if I want to sell it I can go that route. For now I am going to try and get rid of all the drivers and see what happens. It is in the X16 slot.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers I could. Still got the samething score in 3DMark. How would I fix any bottlenecking issues?

I got the GPUZ application and saw that when I am using the 3DMark benchmark my power consumption is at 100% and my graphics card load easily makes its way up to 70%. I didn't check my temps, what would I do if it was throttling?

During 3DMark the GPU load should be a lot higher than 70%.

Ideally it would be 99%.

Check if you have VSync enabled in the GPU drivers, if you do, disable it.

Check cpu usage aswell, if it's very high it could mean that it is holding the gpu back, although in 3DMark this would be very unlikely.

Try running other benchmarks aswell like Unigine Valley.

Whats the easiest way to see if I have VSync enabled in my drivers? Ill run the benchmarks again and let you know exactly what I get. 

7 hours ago, GoodGuyGav said:

I will run the bench marking software I use, 3DMark and get a score of 4900 just like I did or close to like I did with the GTX 970.

Would be nice if you posted a screen shot of the final results.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Do I just add it to this forum because I can do that.

Did you perhaps set a frame limiter in MSI Afterburner? I often use a 60 fps limiter with games that have really bad vsync implementations (for example, NBA 2k16) and a few times I have accidentally left it on and then been horrified with benchmark results. I think I had the single worst score for a GTX 970 on userbenchmark.com because I left the frame limiter on for something that should have probably been rendering at 500 fps. xD

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Did you perhaps set a frame limiter in MSI Afterburner? I often use a 60 fps limiter with games that have really bad vsync implementations (for example, NBA 2k16) and a few times I have accidentally left it on and then been horrified with benchmark results. I think I had the single worst score for a GTX 970 on userbenchmark.com because I left the frame limiter on for something that should have probably been rendering at 500 fps. xD

Do I just open Afterburner and see if it tells me there is a limiter or is there somewhere I should go to to check. Thanks man!

2 minutes ago, GoodGuyGav said:

Do I just open Afterburner and see if it tells me there is a limiter or is there somewhere I should go to to check. Thanks man!

Oops, it's in Riva Tuner Stats Server where I can set the 60 fps limit. I think it's installed automatically with Afterburner, and is used for the onscreen display of stats like gpu usage, gpu temp, cpu temp, etc when you're using Afterburner. In the Framerate Limit box on RTSS a value of 0 indicates you're not running a frame limiter.

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Oops, it's in Riva Tuner Stats Server where I can set the 60 fps limit. I think it's installed automatically with Afterburner, and is used for the onscreen display of stats like gpu usage, gpu temp, cpu temp, etc when you're using Afterburner. In the Framerate Limit box on RTSS a value of 0 indicates you're not running a frame limiter.

Alright I am going to try and find Riva. I am hoping this gets resolved soon, to many troubleshoots and headaches man!

1 minute ago, GoodGuyGav said:

Alright I am going to try and find Riva. I am hoping this gets resolved soon, to many troubleshoots and headaches man!

It wouldn't have been set by default though, it's something you would have had to explicitly do before.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It wouldn't have been set by default though, it's something you would have had to explicitly do before.

Honestly I probably did when I thought I had some knowledge about AfterBurner and just started messing with stuff.... :(

I don't want wanna sound like a AMD fanboy but this new Pascal architecture is ''Maxwell on speed'' like.

2 minutes ago, demonaii said:

I don't want wanna sound like a AMD fanboy but this new Pascal architecture is ''Maxwell on speed'' like.

I am open to all opinions at this point man! I had AMD for a minute and wanted to try Nvidia. I loved my 970 and expected a lot out of my 1070... RIP

33 minutes ago, GoodGuyGav said:

Do I just add it to this forum because I can do that.

Yeah, just add to the forum and press the + button (you'll see it once you drag the picture in).

PS: Quote me, otherwise I won't see your posts.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I couldn't even open the RTSS. It says it cant connect to the server update. Any ideas? I just reinstalled Afterburner and RTSS.

7 hours ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Is it possible to post your full specs (including overclocks)? It'll make it easier to diagnose your problem. 

I'm thinking that there could be a bottleneck or you didn't clean install your driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz (Overclocked to 4.4 GHz)
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z170A Gaming M5
  • RAM
    16 GB of G Skillz Trident X DDR4
  • GPU
    Nvidia Founders Edition 1070
  • Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
  • Storage
    3 TB Seagate HDD
  • PSU
    Corsair 850W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100GTX

17 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Yeah, just add to the forum and press the + button (you'll see it once you drag the picture in).

PS: Quote me, otherwise I won't see your posts.

What do you think man???

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (4).png