unRAID on QNAP TS-451? Why not!

Crazy idea while reading the QNAP wiki: install a custom OS on my QNAP TS-451

Turns out is not that hard! (if you are willing to lose your warranty..)

All I did was open the NAS, remove the drive cage and disconnect the QNAP DOM (512MB USB storage connected to a internal 9pin USB connector) and then it booted from any USB, like the unRAID usb key :D

Time to put some drives in this baby!

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

unraid_1.PNG

Cool! But I wouldn't use this in prod AT ALL. From what I know that NAS does not use ECC memory, plus it has a quite unpowerful cpu. Freenas is very resource heavy and will probably give you constant high cpu usage. 

My native language is C++

7 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Cool! But I wouldn't use this in prod AT ALL. From what I know that NAS does not use ECC memory, plus it has a quite unpowerful cpu. Freenas is very resource heavy and will probably give you constant high cpu usage. 

It is only for media storage and downloads, I am aware of it not being a professional solution.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why unraid? Its slow as it can only read an write from one drive at a time.

For the sake of playing with it, I will probably just install Debian on it at some point.

• 7 months later...

to the original poster of this thread.. I have a ts451+ and the fk%$ng thing is now in a boot loop and i cant get it fixed so Im thinking aboout doing what you did..I want to install ubuntu server.. so since its been over a year, how is it holding up? does it work well? All i need on it is owncloud.com and plex server etc.. Hopefully you still rcv email on this..

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 7:18 PM, GaryD said:

to the original poster of this thread.. I have a ts451+ and the fk%$ng thing is now in a boot loop and i cant get it fixed so Im thinking aboout doing what you did..I want to install ubuntu server.. so since its been over a year, how is it holding up? does it work well? All i need on it is owncloud.com and plex server etc.. Hopefully you still rcv email on this..

Sorry for taking too long to answer, but yes, it is being used by someone else now but it's working very well!

• 2 years later...

I have a TS-653A and I have been running Unraid on it with 5 x 12tb hdds for over a year. Excellent idea.