Freesync for 60 FPS. Is it worht it?

mekanikku

Hi, will buy an RX 470 and along with it a new monitor. I will optimize my game settings for 60 FPS and lock the frame rate target. So the frame rates of monitor and GPU will be on par. Will any screen tearing apper? especially if I go for a low response time monitor like 1-2ms. So will it be worth it if I buy a freesync @60 monitor. I even think about getting a 900p monitor, I think they are not that bad. For now my CPU is Q8200 and RAM is 4GB. I plan to  upgrade it to Zen or i3-6100 with Z170 and fast RAM. As you can see I am pretty much on budget. Thanks :)

RIG: Intel Core2 Q8200, Sapphire HD 6670 1GB ddr3, Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, Kingston Value 2x2GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 320GB , 250 Watts of shit, Win7 Ult x64, Unknown shit case.

Well coming from someone with a 4K 60 GSync display, absolutely yes its worth it.

There have been occasions when new games have released with issues like micro stutter (Far Cry 4 for example) and even games which have been totally broken (Batman AK) where literally millions of users have had issues (Total Biscuit even made a video about how bad FC4 was at launch) and for me they've been totally smooth and playable.

When FC4 released no one on SPUD would believe that I could play without stutter despite me posting a video to YouTube proving the fact. As a test I disabled GSync and the micro stutter appeared, re enabled it and it went away.

I'm not going to pretend BAK wasn't totally broken for me because it was however I didn't see any micro stutter at all unlike almost every other user, again disabled Gsync and the stutter appeared.

GTAV was another game which had issues with micro stutter, it was fine on release but when R* dropped the second or third patch SPUD exploded with posts about it. For me nothing and again, disabled GSync and it appeared.

On top of that I can play GTAV at 4K with almost max settings (just no AA enabled and Grass on Medium) and sure, it plays at 35 to 45 fps but its still totally butter smooth because of GSync and I am quite sensitive to stutter and low FPS.

IMO my GSync monitor is just about the best thing I have purchased for my PC in a looooong time and its something I will always look at getting in the future too (adaptive refresh in general, be it Free or GSync)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Do you get tearing and microstutters when you hit 60FPS all the time say you are playing something not demanding like CS:GO etc. There is this monitor is currently sold in my country. https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2457-MHD-DisplayPort-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B018MYTH9U. It's 236$ in my country :/ I may be able to buy a sub 100$ monitor from Amazon because purchases more than 100$ have %20 import taxes and I will have to deal with formal stuff and go to places to get my monitor if I go for 100$+ products.

My monitor is OK (1080p) but there is only VGA output and I need to build my own PC so a new monitor will be needed. I looked at some info about monitors. It consists thing like response time, input lag, TN, IPS, VA, viewing angle, Colors etc. ughh it's so hard to make a good PC build. I am also not sure to go for IPS or TN or maybe VA panels. And there is this monitor also https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K and this resolution may only make things worse. But this monitors price (202$) is so good it's not much influenced by taxes. However this monitor will stress CPU and GPU more and try to lower that 60 FPS target.

I dunno but anyways thanks for the answer Master Disaster :)

RIG: Intel Core2 Q8200, Sapphire HD 6670 1GB ddr3, Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, Kingston Value 2x2GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 320GB , 250 Watts of shit, Win7 Ult x64, Unknown shit case.

UP.