Weird temps on i7 4790k

2 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Here's a screenshot taken during a run of Realbench. It seems to impact the first core as much as the other stress tests.

Untitled.png

This definitely has to do with bad thermal paste installation on Intel's part.... One core is probably not even touched by the thermal paste behind the IHS...

Or the thermal paste didn't spread good enough... Why don't you try the line method... I use it on my 5820K and I haven't had any issues with thermals...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Try reapplying thermal compound and if it continues.... RMA it...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Try reapplying thermal compound and if it continues.... RMA it...

If they don't accept the CPU, delid it (Buy a delidding tool just to be on the safe side...)

24 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This definitely has to do with bad thermal paste installation on Intel's part.... One core is probably not even touched by the thermal paste behind the IHS...

Or the thermal paste didn't spread good enough... Why don't you try the line method... I use it on my 5820K and I haven't had any issues with thermals...

I already used every methods countless times before and temperatures are not really affected by that from my experience. And don't worry, I tried re-applying the paste 3 times, no changes whatsoever. Like you said, I'm beginning to think it has to do with the internal crappy thermal paste from Intel. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

2 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

I already used every methods countless times before and temperatures are not really affected by that from my experience. And don't worry, I tried re-applying the paste 3 times, no changes whatsoever. Like you said, I'm beginning to think it has to do with the internal crappy thermal paste from Intel. 

RMA it then...

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

RMA it then...

Just for the record, I tried pushing directly on the CPU heatspreader to see if it makes any kind of difference (hoping to spread the compound below the heatspreader). And I think that's it, the first core is still hotter than the others but don't go over 80°C in stress tests. It appears that the thermal compound bellow the heatspreader is very sensitive to pressure... Which means it's possible to move it by applying pressure while mounting a cpu cooler for example. This is total crap

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

3 hours ago, roylapoutre said:

Just for the record, I tried pushing directly on the CPU heatspreader to see if it makes any kind of difference (hoping to spread the compound below the heatspreader). And I think that's it, the first core is still hotter than the others but don't go over 80°C in stress tests. It appears that the thermal compound bellow the heatspreader is very sensitive to pressure... Which means it's possible to move it by applying pressure while mounting a cpu cooler for example. This is total crap

Interesting...

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Interesting...

I don't know about interesting, but it makes me miss the old solder from Sandy Bridge and before... Their cheap TIM is really bad for heat dissipation.