NVIDIA just released Ansel for Mirror's Edge Catalyst

-Undefined-

It's absolutely beautiful. You can take screenshots from a separated camera from the player, at 8192x4096 (More than FOUR TIMES the resolution of 4K). And it was just released. 

I'll be waiting patiently for the Witcher 3's implementation of Ansel :) 

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I really wish there was a way to have Ansel generically rather than specific game support. It could really be a revolution in game imagery and art if only we could use it in most games. I understand but I feel its going to have limited impact the way its been done.

Besides the bump in resolution, I thought this was always achievable using console commands and having the camera be free roam.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

On 7/16/2016 at 3:08 PM, Scruffy90 said:

Besides the bump in resolution, I thought this was always achievable using console commands and having the camera be free roam.

There is no free camera built into the game. Before Ansel, you needed HattiWatti's cinematic tools.

On 7/15/2016 at 11:14 AM, HKZeroFive said:

I'll be waiting patiently for the Witcher 3's implementation of Ansel :) 

Not really sure what Ansel is going to add for The Witcher 3 that isn't already available though mods. Besides maybe the high-res screen capture IF they manage to implement it. 

25 minutes ago, jim2point0 said:

Not really sure what Ansel is going to add for The Witcher 3 that isn't already available though mods. Besides maybe the high-res screen capture IF they manage to implement it. 

But can you take screenshots at 4.5 gigapixels through modding? Doubt it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

So basically it's like Mad Max's screenshot tool? Oh Nvidia and their proprietary gimmicks.

On 7/17/2016 at 10:00 PM, jim2point0 said:

There is no free camera built into the game. Before Ansel, you needed HattiWatti's cinematic tools.

I wasn't talking about this game specifically. I meant in general. Also didnt know that that tool existed.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

On 7/17/2016 at 10:00 PM, jim2point0 said:

I think sometimes we forget the value of innovation in UI/UX. I know it's possible to detach the camera using the developer console, but you have to install a mod for that, that particular mod has to be updated every time CDPR releases an update, the camera controls are incredibly clunky and it's difficult to fine-tune positioning, and you need to look up/remember console commands. Then if you want to adjust lighting or color, you're probably doing that through editing a SweetFX .ini file. Then you have to undo it all manually if you want to continue playing the game normally.

I think there's lots of room for Nvidia to streamline that experience. I love to mod and I don't mind going through all of that if I have to. But if all I had to do was keep my driver up to date, hit a hotkey, and adjust a couple of sliders, that only makes it better.

I'm sure Ansel will be more user friendly. But I don't really agree about the clunky controls. At least not for the Debug camera in The Witcher 3. If you're using a controller, then it feels perfect. Analog movement is definitely the way to go and you can also change FOV and tilt with the D-pad. If you're using the keyboard for it well, you shouldn't be. But there are no console commands to remember. Just F1 to enable and disable the camera. 

I know that they haven't implemented the high-res screen capture feature yet so their gigapixel shots are not yet a reality. Still, I'm quite happy with 16-20 megapixel shots I'm getting for now. I think these look pretty great. I'm also not a big fan of the typical photo mode filters these things ship with. The reason I like tweaking things like ReShade is that those changes can actually be played with rather than only existing for a single screenshot. Not to mention that you can get better AO and depth of field with a ton of tweaking options. 

It's just that as someone who was very interested in capturing great shots of The Witcher 3, there's no way I could have waited this long for something like Ansel to come out. Though if you do want high-res captures, then it can be a hassle unless you have some crazy hardware right now. I just hope they get that feature right. It would be nice to not have to switch my resolution manually when taking a screenshot.