Windows 10 QoS?

Doxxy
Go to solution Solved by Jon Jon,

If your network doesn't support QoS, then it would ignore the flags being set by you at your PC.

Basically, your router (since that is what you are connecting to), needs to honor the QoS flags being set.

I've made custom QoS rules in gpedit.msc (more specifically mmc, but the rules I made & saved appear in gpedit.msc). I set TS3 as a DSCP value of 63 for example, yet when I upload files in FileZilla my ping in TS3 still goes over 400, which is a bit of a pain. I tried to use regedit and made the key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS called "Do not use NLA" and set it to 1, but my ping in TS3 still goes over 400. I'm wondering if there's any fix for this? My router is a stock BT HomeHub 5, so that does not support QoS.

EDIT: If I apply a rate limiter using the group editor to fzsftp.exe it works and limits the throughput but QoS doesn't seem to..?

Hey.

If your network doesn't support QoS, then it would ignore the flags being set by you at your PC.

Basically, your router (since that is what you are connecting to), needs to honor the QoS flags being set.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

4 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

I was under the impression that Windows does its own QoS and then it's the router that does its own QoS..? Oh well, I guess you learn something new every day :/ Thanks for the help.

Hey.

4 hours ago, Doxxy said:

I was under the impression that Windows does its own QoS and then it's the router that does its own QoS..? Oh well, I guess you learn something new every day :/ Thanks for the help.

It depends on the type of QoS being used.

DSCP is for advanced networks with multiple hops, routes and firewalls and is a way to tag traffic with a priority that will follow it through the network which rules can be applied to. This simplifies the configuration as you don't have to setup tagging rules at each point just the priority queues and which DSCP values go in to each one.

Your general home router doesn't support DSCP.