Have an odd issue when turning my PC off

Go to solution Solved by cablord,

To whom it may concern... In my specific case the sound card (asus xonar dx) is apparently not stable in the electricity department, and when both my speaker, headphones and microphone are connected it short circuits the MB and causes it to reboot instead of shutdown... I now use a USB mic and everything works fine!

Hi,

For quite some time now, on certain occasion when I hit the power off on Windows (10) it says it is powering off, however after turning off, several seconds later, my PC then starts again,

I did replace my graphics cards recently, however it happened before that (It actually started happening after assembling the computer even before adding the sound card and other stuff added later on).

I checked my BIOS it seems that all the relevant switches (concerning power supply reboot) are powered off, and I tested to see what device is able to reboot or power on my computer and canceled their permission for that in the device manager.

Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, cablord said:

-snip-

I have been having this issue with my Asus z77 board for a couple years as well. Sometimes it does this EVERY time for a month and then it won't do it again for a few months, and then do it again. I have given up trying to resolve the issue and just learned to live with it since I spent many many hours trying to figure it out. I will follow this thread to see if the people here have any more suggestions.

When in doubt, re-format.

My old presario laptop does this. (windows xp) It can only be shut off by removing the battery. I have had win10 not being able to shut down or start up but not do this. I gave up on win10 and downgraded to win7.

Since I do want to use DX12 when it is more available... It would be a problem for me to downgrade to win 7... Hope someone might have a better solution for my case :)

4 minutes ago, cablord said:

Since I do want to use DX12 when it is more available... It would be a problem for me to downgrade to win 7... Hope someone might have a better solution for my case :)

I was having these issues before I did my upgrade to 10 as well. I was using win 8.1 though.

One thing that I have noticed is that the issue tends to start/stop when I actually open up my case and remove/reseat components, like when I take out my GPU's or cpu cooler for cleaning. So maybe reseat your ram/gpu/cpu cooler? Just a suggestion..

When in doubt, re-format.

15 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I was having these issues before I did my upgrade to 10 as well. I was using win 8.1 though.

One thing that I have noticed is that the issue tends to start/stop when I actually open up my case and remove/reseat components, like when I take out my GPU's or cpu cooler for cleaning. So maybe reseat your ram/gpu/cpu cooler? Just a suggestion..

Actually in my case, I have a headphone amp and speakers (self amped) connected to my sound card, I noticed that if I don't switch between them (the one I turned on is the only one the entire time the PC is on) it sometimes does not occur.. 

And moving my RAM might be a bit tricky, they are hidden underneath my CPU cooler :)

1 hour ago, cablord said:

Actually in my case, I have a headphone amp and speakers (self amped) connected to my sound card, I noticed that if I don't switch between them (the one I turned on is the only one the entire time the PC is on) it sometimes does not occur.. 

And moving my RAM might be a bit tricky, they are hidden underneath my CPU cooler :)

This might be a pain but can you build your computer on a cardboard box?

A very small short circuit is all that's needed to turn on a computer and your motherboard or another component may be touching something it shouldn't.

It's not a race to the bottom.

9 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

This might be a pain but can you build your computer on a cardboard box?

A very small short circuit is all that's needed to turn on a computer and your motherboard or another component may be touching something it shouldn't.

I did build it on a cardboard box

• 1 month later...

To whom it may concern... In my specific case the sound card (asus xonar dx) is apparently not stable in the electricity department, and when both my speaker, headphones and microphone are connected it short circuits the MB and causes it to reboot instead of shutdown... I now use a USB mic and everything works fine!