Windows install freeze just after loading from disk

mechanicalfluff

Hey guys, I'm doing a fresh win7 install on an ssd and I can't get to the installer itself. It hangs just after the loading from disk screen.

Since this. I can't get windows to load from any other drive past the splash screen. In windows 8, i get stuck at the flag, but no spinning circle under it (i even let it sit for 15 minutes, just to make sure it didn't just go through)..

I reset cmos, pulled ram sticks and everything. I can get into bios no problem.

Any ideas, any help would be great.

It could be a faulty SATA cable, just to be safe, replace it. Also,

In the BIOS/UEFI:

1- Make sure that HPET is enabled, and set to 64-bit if your installing 64-bit Windows. (this option might not be there, so don't kill yourself if you don't see it)

2- That your SSD is on the Intel SATA controller

3- That the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode

4- That you install the SATA drivers during the Windows setup (you do that where you select which partition/drive you want install Windows on to. You have a button saying "load drivers" or something. Have the drivers, EXTRACTED, on a USB flash drive or disk to be able to load it.

It could be a faulty SATA cable, just to be safe, replace it. Also,

In the BIOS/UEFI:

1- Make sure that HPET is enabled, and set to 64-bit if your installing 64-bit Windows. (this option might not be there, so don't kill yourself if you don't see it)

2- That your SSD is on the Intel SATA controller

3- That the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode

4- That you install the SATA drivers during the Windows setup (you do that where you select which partition/drive you want install Windows on to. You have a button saying "load drivers" or something. Have the drivers, EXTRACTED, on a USB flash drive or disk to be able to load it.

Yeah, i put in a brand new sata cable, figured that when it first happened.

All the bios settings are correct to what it needs to be.

Problem is that i can't get INTO windows set up. It freezes as soon as it does it's loading files from the disk and switches to the "loading windows" splash screen. The windows logo doesn't even come up. A few pixels of it about to spin in it's orb design come in and then it freezes.

Ok what is happening is that Windows setup loads, but something blocks it. As you don't have an OS to know if there is a problem or be able to time out and provide you with a helpful message, you have nothing. You are on your own. Usually it's a hardware problem, especially if you use Windows official disk.

So what we will do now, is check for hardware problems or simply incompatibilities with Windows setup (will/should work fine after Windows is installed).

Ok, make sure that your floppy drive is disabled in your BIOS. If you have SLI or Crossfire, just keep 1 GPU in. If you have an onboard graphic card, use that instead of your graphic card (just for the Windows setup). If you have a dedciated sound card, remove it. Basically keep your computer to the basics, and anything you don't use right now, disable it in the BIOS, this includes firewire and such.

In some rare cases, it can be a RAM problem that appeared. Try and use 1 stick of RAM, and if that doesn't help, try to switch it with another. If that's the problem, then the RAM is faulty.

If nothing helps, then try an HDD instead of the SSD, you might have fallen with a manufacture error SSD.

Ok what is happening is that Windows setup loads, but something blocks it. As you don't have an OS to know if there is a problem or be able to time out and provide you with a helpful message, you have nothing. You are on your own. Usually it's a hardware problem, especially if you use Windows official disk.

So what we will do now, is check for hardware problems or simply incompatibilities with Windows setup (will/should work fine after Windows is installed).

Ok, make sure that your floppy drive is disabled in your BIOS. If you have SLI or Crossfire, just keep 1 GPU in. If you have an onboard graphic card, use that instead of your graphic card (just for the Windows setup). If you have a dedciated sound card, remove it. Basically keep your computer to the basics, and anything you don't use right now, disable it in the BIOS, this includes firewire and such.

In some rare cases, it can be a RAM problem that appeared. Try and use 1 stick of RAM, and if that doesn't help, try to switch it with another. If that's the problem, then the RAM is faulty.

If nothing helps, then try an HDD instead of the SSD, you might have fallen with a manufacture error SSD.

lol it all of a sudden worked.

I removed all but 1 stick of ram, tried to run it again and had the same problem. Then I placed back the remaining 3 sticks one at a time and tried again. Still nothing.

Next, I got frustrated enough to take the whole build apart and re-wire everything and re-seat the cpu. Once I finished doing that, I tried again.. still frozen.

Finally, I reset, gave it a good kick on the side panel.... it worked... hah, just like an old car..

My HDD's boot file was missing, so I just wiped it and re-installed as well.

Thank you very much for all your time and help, I really appreciate it.

Glad I could help.. I guess :)

Its, interesting. Beside your HDD, there is no mechanical part.

Well, as long as it works :)