Best speakers/monitors for <600€ (for music)

Mobby Dick

Hey guys,

As my old speakers are driving me crazy more and more, I'm looking for some new ones.

I need them mostly for listening to music (not producing myself) so it's OK if they suck for gaming, because I usually use my headphones for that.

I'm currently living in a really small room and that's why the speakers have to be placed in a corner, so if it's a bass-reflex design it should be at the front and not facing the corner.

I really like a strong bass but also mids and highs are important to not just be there, but be clear and powerfull.

Bluetooth is not really needed and just a waste of budget to me.

Both passive and active speakers will work since I already have an AMP.

The price: Nothing more than 600€, less is very welcome since I'm just a student. I plan on getting a job i the next months, but still 600€ is a lot of money. However, if you guys say it's worth spending 600€, I will do so.

Side note: It will take a long time for me to save all the money so I might just buy the speakers next year after christmas and my birthday in feburary. So if there are any speakers coming out later this year just let me know and I will have a look at them if they come out :)

Already a huge Thank you for your recommendations :)

Vanatoo Transparent One if you can get them. KEF speakers are front ported.

12 minutes ago, SSL said:

Vanatoo Transparent One if you can get them. KEF speakers are front ported.

The Vantoo one doesn't seem to be available in germany... Is there any specific KEF speaker you can recommend? Also what about monitors? Is that something to consider?

Hey there, going the used speaker route may also be a good idea. Using sites like Hifishark or used online market places can be very helpful in finding good deals on speakers. I picked up a pair of KEF LS50 speakers this way for around 1200 aud (800 euros). Checking Hifishark the cheapest ls50 all seem to be sold in europe. There just happens to be a ls50 in germany for 600 euros. 

http://www.quoka.de/hifi-audio-tv-video-foto/boxen-lautsprecher-kopfhoerer/c7265a170864115/kef-ls-50-anniversary-edition.html

The ls50's are rear ported but they come with some foam bungs that you put in the rear port, if it is against a wall i think. 

Edited by Kenna

8 hours ago, Kenna said:

they come with some foam bungs that you put in the rear port, if it is against a wall

Thanks for your help :)

In what way is that going to affect sound quality?

5 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Considered building speakers?

That's a good budget, and you often get much more for your money.

I've never done that before but I'm always open to new projects like these. Any tips for not screwing it up? :D

11 hours ago, Mobby Dick said:

I've never done that before but I'm always open to new projects like these. Any tips for not screwing it up? :D

Erm... measure twice, cut once! :')

For real though, I'd recommend you use someone elses design which is already well regarded.

If you're not confident with woodwork, buy a kit with the pieces already cut to size for you.

Don't try and pick your own drivers or design your own crossovers, as this is really complex, and if you use someone elses design, all the hard work has already been done for you.

I'm planning to build a pair of "Seas Idunn" speakers soon, and it's around £600 for everything I need, so I reckon it's probably in your budget... that's including an amp.

Madison sound speaker sell a kit, including the front baffles for around $500... but this is probably more expensive than buying all these bits individually.

However with that you'd still have to build most of the box yourself.

As I'm in the UK, I'm planning on buying the box from a site called speaker cabinet kit, then buying the drivers and crossover components separately.

Basically, find a design you like that's well reviewed (audio forums or manufacturers websites are good for this).

Buy the exact drivers and crossover components you need for that design, then either build the box yourself or buy the wood for it pre-cut (MDF tends to be the "wood of choice" as it's acoustically dead).

I'm no good at wood work, hence buying the box pre-cut, but you may be an expert.

Do a bit of research and see if you like the idea or not.

It's a fair bit of work, but the results are often much better than you can get "pre-built."

For example the kit I'm building, from the reviews I've read, sounds like a $1300+ set, but only cost around $500 to build.

Hope this helps :)

NOTE: I've included links on some parts of my post if you hadn't noticed :P

6 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Erm... measure twice, cut once! :')

For real though, I'd recommend you use someone elses design which is already well regarded.

If you're not confident with woodwork, buy a kit with the pieces already cut to size for you.

Don't try and pick your own drivers or design your own crossovers, as this is really complex, and if you use someone elses design, all the hard work has already been done for you.

I'm planning to build a pair of "Seas Idunn" speakers soon, and it's around £600 for everything I need, so I reckon it's probably in your budget... that's including an amp.

Madison sound speaker sell a kit, including the front baffles for around $500... but this is probably more expensive than buying all these bits individually.

However with that you'd still have to build most of the box yourself.

As I'm in the UK, I'm planning on buying the box from a site called speaker cabinet kit, then buying the drivers and crossover components separately.

Basically, find a design you like that's well reviewed (audio forums or manufacturers websites are good for this).

Buy the exact drivers and crossover components you need for that design, then either build the box yourself or buy the wood for it pre-cut (MDF tends to be the "wood of choice" as it's acoustically dead).

I'm no good at wood work, hence buying the box pre-cut, but you may be an expert.

Do a bit of research and see if you like the idea or not.

It's a fair bit of work, but the results are often much better than you can get "pre-built."

For example the kit I'm building, from the reviews I've read, sounds like a $1300+ set, but only cost around $500 to build.

Hope this helps :)

NOTE: I've included links on some parts of my post if you hadn't noticed :P

WOW thanks for your help :) I'm not an expert at wook work, but decent. However, I might find some help since I know some experts :)

I will definitely look for some designs!