Should I go Crossfire or ITX?

EdwardBrown
1 minute ago, EdwardBrown said:

Crossfire on mATX or reap the benefits of ITX?

ITX + Single 1070 / 1080 > CF mATX. That's an easy choice.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

Crossfire on mATX or reap the benefits of ITX?

MATX with single GPU, then you can get some nice other expansion cards.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

MATX with single GPU, then you can get some nice other expansion cards.

I guess im not really interested in other cards - SSDs I guess but nah.

2 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

I guess im not really interested in other cards - SSDs I guess but nah.

SSDs with SATA expansion card?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

you honestly shouldnt be doing CF/SLI in a matx formfactor anyways.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you honestly shouldnt be doing CF/SLI in a matx formfactor anyways.

Why?

1 minute ago, Dark said:

Why?

because things will more than likely be too tight to have "pleasing" thermals.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Watercool.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, arnavvr said:

Watercool.

if OP was considering that i doubt this topic would be a thing.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

That's speculation. Not a reason to say not to. 

Let alone, lots of matx boards leave a slot between the two gpus.

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

nonsense lol. You can have a slot inbetween, and even without you can at least get blower cards. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Dark said:

That's speculation. Not a reason to say not to. 

Let alone, lots of matx boards leave a slot between the two gpus.

which means you need a 5-slot case, and will pretty much be pressing the bottom gpu against the psu or bottom of the case.

unless going custom loop it's not worth the 4cm extra height you'd save over going full atx.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

which means you need a 5-slot case, and will pretty much be pressing the bottom gpu against the psu or bottom of the case.

unless going custom loop it's not worth the 4cm extra height you'd save over going full atx.

Again, speculation that the lower card will not have 'pleasing' temperatures.

I've ran similar setups with 780ti's, 980's, and titan x's.  Temperatures were always relative to their fan speed and nearly identical as I moved from matx to atx.

I'm sure you can create the scenario where the temperatures are unfavorable, that's easy.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

TIL you need to buy a case that accommodates what you intend to put in it.

I can see the problems, especially with non-blowers, but if you plan right itll be fine. Hell blower cards itll be fine anyway with no planning. Actually, the biggest problem with matx is a lot of non-reference cards are larger than 2 slots slightly, and some people don't pay attention to that. Otherwise there are plenty of cube cases with mesh sides, space on the bottom in vertical, and ones with power supply below gpus. You are absolutely right about a lot of matx cases being 4 slot tho 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if OP was considering that i doubt this topic would be a thing.

I might consider water cooled CPU not GPU.

2 minutes ago, Dark said:

Again, speculation that the lower card will not have 'pleasing' temperatures.

I've ran similar setups with 780ti's, 980's, and titan x's.  Temperatures were always relative to their fan speed and nearly identical as I moved from matx to atx.

I'm sure you can create the scenario where the temperatures are unfavorable, that's easy.

tho i think maniykath meant for this scenario tbh it feels like it

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

I might consider water cooled CPU not GPU.

exactly since water blocks are expensive unless you go 420 blaze on ghetto water cooling hehe

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

TIL you need to buy a case that accommodates what you intend to put in it.

I can see the problems, especially with non-blowers, but if you plan right itll be fine. Hell blower cards itll be fine anyway with no planning. Actually, the biggest problem with matx is a lot of non-reference cards are larger than 2 slots slightly, and some people don't pay attention to that. Otherwise there are plenty of cube cases with mesh sides, space on the bottom in vertical, and ones with power supply below gpus. 

the thing is, you're limiting yourself over 4cm of case height, if not for the extremely tight scenarios with custom watercooling, just get the bigger thing, and have plenty of room.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thing is, you're limiting yourself over 4cm of case height, if not for the extremely tight scenarios with custom watercooling, just get the bigger thing, and have plenty of room.

matx is an odd form factor. I had an itx build until recently, I might rebuild that, and while it was big for an itx case, and a shitty case, I enjoyed carrying the 380t, for a while I carried it daily. Wouldn't do much bigger than that. My workstation is a cm storm trooper, huge and heavy as fuck. Nice case.  Would not carry it anywhere unless I had too. I really don't know where matx fits on that for me- is the scenario I really want 2 gpus, but I lan? I mean when I was on itx what I missed more was pci slot for expansion other than gpu (my workstation has a micomsoft capture card, for example) and more than 2 memory slots, so I can see going matx, but not so much for 2 gpus. Im hopefully attending the next lan syndicate, and I"m just gonna throw together an itx rig in that 380t. It's a lan party, your PC needs to game not like crush benchmarks. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

matx is an odd form factor. I had an itx build until recently, I might rebuild that, and while it was big for an itx case, and a shitty case, I enjoyed carrying the 380t, for a while I carried it daily. Wouldn't do much bigger than that. My workstation is a cm storm trooper, huge and heavy as fuck. Nice case.  Would not carry it anywhere unless I had too. I really don't know where matx fits on that for me- is the scenario I really want 2 gpus, but I lan? I mean when I was on itx what I missed more was pci slot for expansion other than gpu (my workstation has a micomsoft capture card, for example) and more than 2 memory slots, so I can see going matx, but not so much for 2 gpus. Im hopefully attending the next lan syndicate, and I"m just gonna throw together an itx rig in that 380t. It's a lan party, your PC needs to game not like crush benchmarks. 

my server is a matx form factor, and honestly matx suits the "tiny builds" quite nicely, if you dont want to be limited to the extremely small size of mitx, but the small formfactors where it really shines does defenately not lign up with dual-GPU solutions or other high wattage enviroments.

i just realised my brain went jello half way trough typing that, i'm not even gonna try to fix it, and just hit the bed xD

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

There are plenty of benefits with going ATX but the OP made no mention of it being an option.

37 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Which case?

26 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

Which case?

the itx build? Corsiar 380t

muh specs 

All parts black