Is there a point to getting an AMD for gaming?

You can get a Skylake i3 for better performance than the 8350 or the 6350 in games. I originally believed that AMD had some great budget options this way but it doesn't seem like it?

2 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

You can get a Skylake i3 for better performance than the 8350 or the 6350 in games. I originally believed that AMD had some great budget options this way but it doesn't seem like it?

The budget AMD options are a few years old now, and we're not getting a refresh anytime soon. They were popular because of the 8 cores versus the i3's 2/4.

May the force be with you - Yoda

1 minute ago, Kyle Billheimer said:

Yeah, AMD isn't really providing any competition against Intel. They have a new batch of CPUs coming out though.

Yeah I'm hoping for Zen

8 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

Yes although the i3 can be an issue in games that require a quad core

but a budget locked i5 is a much better option than anything AMD for gaming at the moment

Who knows if AMD can make a comeback with zen

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For the very low end the 860k isnt a bad choice but otherwise yes there isnt much point.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm running a all AMD system. It was cheaper and far more powerful than anything intel/nvidia could of offered in the same range.

13 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

When it comes to CPUs, at this point I wouldn't even bother with AMD.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

When it comes to CPUs, at this point I wouldn't even bother with AMD.

Not with the current generation no.

Let's hope Zen brings something new to the table like HBM did.

May the force be with you - Yoda

i have played with a AMD fx 4100 for 3 years. and i havent had much trouble with it, it ran GTA 5 just fine, and cities skyline and some few more. so i would it could work, but if your heavily multitasking. or rendering then nope

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

The FX series is quite stale, and you won't really benefit from future proofing (they're from 2012). Also, the FX 8350, FX 6350, and FX 6300 lose out to the i3-6100 quite often, showing that having a lot of cores and threads still don't do much for gaming. If you can afford the FX 8350 (~$160-$170), though, you should consider Intel's 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5-6400 (~$180-$190), or the 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5-6500 (~$200), both which should be good enough to get you by without any bottlenecks for most of today's demanding titles. They're locked, but they're still very good chips. The FX CPUs aren't bad CPUs at all; they're just old.

If you want AMD, you should consider waiting for Zen. I know it pretty much sounds like a broken record with how many people are saying it, but if you're looking for price to performance, then you really shouldn't buy a CPU from several years ago unless you're getting a really good deal.

Considering all your responses, I guess the answer would be: 

If you're going super low end and need multiple cores, like less than $100 than you can go with AMD still. (I personally would never go this low end haha)

Otherwise, I think the i3 with the 4 logical cores would be able to run titles that do need 4 cores to run, GTA V recommends a quad core cpu but people seem to run it find with i3's.