1440p on 4K monitor

Mastagon

Okay bros. Here's the deal.

I am getting ready to delivery a sizable upgrade to my rig, one of which will be a gtx 1070, but I'm having a huge hangup on whether or not to go 1440p or 4k. Here's what I'm thinking:

Get the 4k PB287Q:

-good old future proofing, for when single gpu 4k at 60fps solutions become more mainstream accessible

- I can still play AAA 1440p content on them

- Solid reviews, asus has baller warranties

-I can play the shit out of my old library of games at 4k ala mass effect, trine, alien isolation etc

-yolo

Bad Idea. Don't buy it:

- 4k is mostly a waste as no gpu runs new aaa stuff that high playablely  (personable prurience yes, I know)

-Interpolation makes 1440p on a 4k monitor look likes dog balls! Well, maybe not like dogs balls, but noticeably blurrier so boo

- The TN panel (not necessarily a negative, depending o)

Get the GW2765HT 1440p

- Its IPS, has solid reviews

-I'll be playing more of my stuff at this resolution anyway

- I could possible use vsr/DSR when I switch to a newcard card in the future?

- Solid warranty as well

Bad idea:

- Its only $35ish cheaper

- Means I might have to upgrade sooner if like 4k GPU power steps up a few notches, if DSR/VSR is not possible, or just not worthwhile.

Okay, so aside from this table of pros and cons, which would be great if anyone would chime in and help me out here so I don't have a stroke going back and forth between my two seemingly good options, What are people's ACTUAL experience running 1440p games on a 4K monitor. Is that an enjoyable visual experience? I guess it can vary monitor to monitor, but does it bug you enough that you'd avoid it if impossible? Ala take the FPS hit and run it higher? Or just buy a different monitor?

Sassy replies welcome. Actually useful replies more welcomer

7 minutes ago, Mastagon said:

SNIP

Another con to consider for 4k is content scaling, not everything scales properly at 4k, and you end up scaling your screen to 150% most of the time meaning you only have the desktop space of a 1440p panel - if not scaling some programs are just impossibly tiny to see, for example steam overlay ends up being like microscopic when running in 4k

also TN sucks especially on large monitors

personally id go 1440p still

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For me I do not think that 4k is a reasonable choice right now. 

I am using a 1440p monitor. Dell P2416D. 

And I get it when you said you can always downscale 4k to 1440p if you want.

I do that sometimes, downscale 1440p to 1080p, and let me tell you it looks terrible, at least on my own 1440p monitor. 

Another thing is at 4k all the fonts and texts and stuff are gonna be super small. Do you think you can handle that??? 

Also I think that there will not be a single card that can handle EVERY GAME in either 1080p/1440p/4k. 

GTX1070 can handle most of the game at 1440p sure, but try max out every setting on witcher 3. 

GTX1080 can handle some of the game at 4k, for example Doom , but again try max out everything and turn on hair works on witcher 3. 

You know what I am trying to say? 

However I think you need to hear people that actually own a 4k display , then they will tell you their experience. 

They will provide the most accurate info though. 

Edit: Also , forget about future proving. There are some 8k displays/tvs already out. I am pretty sure that if you try hard enough, you can get one for yourself. Don't you think that that one is more "future proving " than anything else? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Another con to consider for 4k is content scaling, not everything scales properly at 4k, and you end up scaling your screen to 150% most of the time meaning you only have the desktop space of a 1440p panel - if not scaling some programs are just impossibly tiny to see, for example steam overlay ends up being like microscopic when running in 4k

also TN sucks especially on large monitors

personally id go 1440p still

I had actually had good experience scaling with a POS acer b287HK I recently sent back with windows ten, which had way better support for this sort of thing, on most occasions. Myself personally, though, I did notice some blurriness though. Which drives me up the walls bananas. Thanks for your thoughts though. More things to keep in mine

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

For me I do not think that 4k is a reasonable choice right now. 

I am using a 1440p monitor. Dell P2416D. 

And I get it when you said you can always downscale 4k to 1440p if you want.

I do that sometimes, downscale 1440p to 1080p, and let me tell you it looks terrible, at least on my own 1440p monitor. 

Another thing is at 4k all the fonts and texts and stuff are gonna be super small. Do you think you can handle that??? 

Also I think that there will not be a single card that can handle EVERY GAME in either 1080p/1440p/4k. 

GTX1070 can handle most of the game at 1440p sure, but try max out every setting on witcher 3. 

GTX1080 can handle some of the game at 4k, for example Doom , but again try max out everything and turn on hair works on witcher 3. 

You know what I am trying to say? 

However I think you need to hear people that actually own a 4k display , then they will tell you their experience. 

They will provide the most accurate info though. 

I found windows 10 scaling helped with the small font issue. And I also read the 1080 looks like poo poo bad from 1440p native, so that's no surprise. And hearing more people with actual monitors, yeah. I need it.

1 minute ago, Mastagon said:

I had actually had good experience scaling with a POS acer b287HK I recently sent back with windows ten, which had way better support for this sort of thing, on most occasions. Myself personally, though, I did notice some blurriness though. Which drives me up the walls bananas. Thanks for your thoughts though. More things to keep in mine

different monitors handle interpolation differently, depends on the display and the algorithm - check tftcentral or something for that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

different monitors handle interpolation differently, depends on the display and the algorithm - check tftcentral or something for that

This site frightens and confuses me. I shall examine it at not 4am. Thank you regardless. It seems like a treasure trove of many things

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

When I played games at 1440 on a 4K monitor, I couldn't tell the difference. Looked just as good to me.

And that's the rub here. The difference between the two monitors I'm looking at is like $35. Sure having the "better" panel would be nice but really, that's about it...

1 hour ago, Mastagon said:

And that's the rub here. The difference between the two monitors I'm looking at is like $35. Sure having the "better" panel would be nice but really, that's about it...

for hardcore FPS gamers less than 4ms response time is a must and 1ms is beatiful for hardcore FPS gaming,id say go for the 1440 one since in a real world gaming scenario you wont notice a difference unless you take a SS on 1440p and a SS on the 4k and stare at them directly

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

8 hours ago, LizardsAreOP said:

for hardcore FPS gamers less than 4ms response time is a must and 1ms is beatiful for hardcore FPS gaming,id say go for the 1440 one since in a real world gaming scenario you wont notice a difference unless you take a SS on 1440p and a SS on the 4k and stare at them directly

Thanks for the input. What you're talking about was similar to my experience with that crappy acer 4k I had. 4k seemed nice, but didn't really "blow me away." Maybe in a few years when the technology matures it would, but right now...

37 minutes ago, Mastagon said:

Thanks for the input. What you're talking about was similar to my experience with that crappy acer 4k I had. 4k seemed nice, but didn't really "blow me away." Maybe in a few years when the technology matures it would, but right now...

1440p is the best of both worlds its has great performance and great quality

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE