Thinking about getting a PG279Q, worth it?

leandroestacio

Hello everyone. I recently build a new computer, and my current monitor is a HP W2408H. So I'm looking to get a new monitor as well, but I have so many question and I'm not sure what to get.

Size: I would love a 30+" monitor, but there are few monitors in the market with the specs I want. 

Specs: Does it really make a difference, 144hz, 1ms, TN/IPS, GSync... all of that? What's most important and what's not? My ideal monitor would be something with a 30"+, 144hz, 1ms, GSync... Well the closest I got was with Asus PG278Q, but that is a 27" monitor with a TN panel. But with a PG279Q the trade off would be IPS panel but with 4ms. Again, does it really make a difference? If so which is the best trade of, IPS or 1ms? 

There is also the PG348Q which is a beautiful monitor, but that also has its flaws 5ms, 100hz, and a 1300 price. is a 100hz enough? All I hear everyone talking about is 144. Also I'm getting a single 1080 FTW  so I'm afraid that it wont be enough.  A friend told me that to use 144hz, you have to output 144+ fps, is that true? How does that works?

Connection: how long can displayport cables be? I need a 20ft long cable, am I going to have problems with it? Does it work at all? Am I going to have any type of lag performance because of the cable length?

So because of the specs and I'm only running a single 1080 I think the PG348q is out, which led me to the PG279Q, trading of 1ms for IPS. But there is also the quality control issue on those monitors. Im thinking that I'll just return them until I get a good one. But is it worth it? Is there anything else coming in the following months that's worth waiting for? I just fell that whatever I'm looking for is not available yet or just too much to have. Maybe a upgrade now and another in 2-3 years? What you guys think?

Thanks.

I don't know about everything else you asked but a 30"+ monitor is not ideal or "efficient".  Though it depends on how far away you are sitting because at a normal distance from eyes to monitor a 24" or 27" monitor will be perfect.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

I see, everyone keeps telling me that. I'm using a 24 at the moment and I just fell that I want more. I guess 27 will do for now. I have a large desk and my keyboard/mouse tray can come out very far, a larger monitor would work here I guess. I just wanted to fell the difference in upgrading to a new monitor. Another 3" maybe wont give me that fell. But that is also resolution, going from 1080 to 1440 probably that would be noticeable. 

22 minutes ago, leandroestacio said:

1440p above 27" starts to lose sharpness at desk ranges

not sure how long display port cables can be

Just go Free-sync, $530 for a 1440p 144hz IPS display, the G-sync equivalent is over $700
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp323/acer-monitor-xf270hu

Also why did you get a 1080 if your goal is 1440p 144hz? it's not entirely capable of saturating that display, least at higher graphical settings, should have gotten a cheap GPU and waiting out for VEGA/the 1080ti

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2438-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-review-and-fps-benchmark/page-5

Hell right now, the Fury X is $400, coulda gotten 2 of those to saturate a 1440p 144hz display, in the cases where crossfire  works well anyways, so like 3 games

DisplayPort

Production history
Video signal Optional, maximum resolution limited by available bandwidth
Cable 3 meters for full bandwidth transmission over passive cable. 33 meters over active cable. [1]

-

-

Also what kind of solution do you have for running your PC that far away from you? Do you already have like one of the Ultra Docks with full connectivity over a single USB 3.0/3.1 connection or something?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

1440p above 27" starts to lose sharpness at desk ranges

not sure how long display port cables can be

Just go Free-sync, $530 for a 1440p 144hz IPS display, the G-sync equivalent is over $700
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp323/acer-monitor-xf270hu

Also why did you get a 1080 if your goal is 1440p 144hz? it's not entirely capable of saturating that display, least at higher graphical settings, should have gotten a cheap GPU and waiting out for VEGA/the 1080ti

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2438-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-review-and-fps-benchmark/page-5

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry for my lack of experience. I got a 1080 because I just thought about getting the best I could in one card at the moment. And the reason for picking one of  those monitor and not free sync one, is because I thought that  for get the benefits of free sync I would have to go with AMD and GSync, Nvidia. There is also a cheaper monitor that I have seen quite few times on sale which is the Dell S2716DG for $480. Maybe I should go with that one for now... 

Now the bench you linked I see it's doing 85 fps, which is seen great for me... but then again is that a problem 85 not reaching 144? is that how it works? I did not know that.=/

7 minutes ago, leandroestacio said:

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry for my lack of experience. I got a 1080 because I just thought about getting the best I could in one card at the moment. And the reason for picking one of  those monitor and not free sync one, is because I thought that  for get the benefits of free sync I would have to go with AMD and GSync, Nvidia. There is also a cheaper monitor that I have seen quite few times on sale which is the Dell S2716DG for $480. Maybe I should go with that one for now... 

Now the bench you linked I see it's doing 85 fps, which is seen great for me... but then again is that a problem 85 not reaching 144? is that how it works? I did not know that.=/

Getting the top end GPU is usually the least performance per dollar option, especially when it's a card that can just barely do 4k 60hz higher settings.

It's not really an issue exactly you just can't saturate your display, you paid for the 144hz display, and won't be able to fully utilize it for some time. Not that that's a bad thing really, it's just that you could have easily lived with a less expensive GPU.

You also can't use free-sync with nvidia currently, but it's like $200 less for the same overall experience with your monitor, or a better experience at the same price as why would you buy a 1440p 144hz TN display? when you could get IPS for the same price going with the free-sync version

IPS is superior to TN in nearly every way aside from extreme twitch gaming, which most people don't bother with.

-

-

Side note if you can still return things

Do you need the vertical resolution of 1440p? Because if not you could totally just go for a triple 1080p 144hz TN set up, and just run a single like 480 for under $1000 with a bad ass set up, the display in question is actually pretty good for a TN display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Again thanks for all the tips, you know, to be honest, I think I just went with the hype. I was just dying for an upgrade my current card is a AMD HD 6770, all my friends are getting a 1080. So I was like, i might get one too. Yean about 4k I also heard about it and I don't plan on using it until it matures enough. What made me think about getting a 144hz monitor is that everyone keeps talking about how good it's. but I didnt really know how it worked, I just thought that you get a good card, a monitor and boom everything should work, apparently is not like that. Still it wouldn't be a bad idea to get something like that (1440, 144hz) and invest in a 1080ti (if performs well) or maybe SLI the 1080 which I don't know how SLI works also, I heard that it doesn't work on all games, is that true? But then I only have to upgrade the GPU and wait 2-3 to maybe start looking into 4k gaming? 

About TN panel, 1ms vs 4ms... I think I have my mind set on a IPS already, but I'm just afraid that when playing games and things like getting killed with one shot or something like that, and in the back of my head I'm thinking did this guys saw me first because my monitor is not a 1ms? haha (just an excuse for my bad gaming skills, I know xD)

"Side note if you can still return things

Do you need the vertical resolution of 1440p? Because if not you could totally just go for a triple 1080p 144hz TN set up, and just run a single like 480 for under $1000 with a bad ass set up, the display in question is actually pretty good for a TN display"

I think I can, as I believe newegg even though they say that is not returnable, but I guess if it's not opened I could. And the monitor I havent yet place an order for it. The only thing is that I dont really like the way multiple monitors looks with the bezel dividing them. currently I have 2 HP w2207 and one w2408h. and I only use the 2408h, sometimes I do turn the others as extra desktop space, but never really liked for gaming. 

But here what is making me look for an upgrade, and also I see your point, If I keep my current monitor the 108o gpu will be a waste (too much power for this monitor), but if I upgrade the monitor it will not be enough to experience all the features it has. 

34 minutes ago, leandroestacio said:

Again thanks for all the tips, you know, to be honest, I think I just went with the hype. I was just dying for an upgrade my current card is a AMD

Unless you're in the EVGA camp and can pay the difference for the upgrade to the 1080ti it won't exactly be worth it

the response time difference isn't going to matter at all it's not even noticeable

22 minutes ago, leandroestacio said:

Also from my short experience on AMD mixing 144hz and 60hz displays was just a pain

otherwise there's probably a restocking fee if anything for returning an open product, but you just might as well keep it I suppose, but I'd still get the IPS free-sync display for a better quality panel over G-sync

maybe even just sell the 1080 when vega comes out if Vega is solid to utilize the free-sync on the display. Or return it and get a Fury X at $400 which is where it sits now, though that's on the 1070's level before OCing. Still fairly capable though for 1440p 60fps ultra settings, mostly that just gives you free-sync with the IPS display, and the water cooled GPU

Far as the triple set up goes, ya bezels are a thing, but then you got 3 1080p displays to work with, almost as good as a 40" 4k display, I still can't decide between 3 of those or buying the one giant 4k display

The 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display, it's $209
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

And that's another option should you return the GPU anyways, you could get a giant 4k display, and do gaming at 1080p with like a 480, this one can do 120hz 1080p or 4k 60hz

as 1080p scales perfectly with 4k

Spoiler