GTA V - I got hacked?

ThatCarlosGuy
clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

I am aware that this isn't rockstar's own forums or anything but I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any similar problems. 

I received two emails from rockstar social club last night. Both in Russian (my language is English). I translated them using the internet and figured out that the first email was a password reset email, and the second one was a friend request from someone called 'Lightstar198'. I tried accessing my rockstar social club account and was unable to log in, due to the password reset. I reset the password again and logged in.

I found out that my name was changed to "Zmei152", language was set to russian, my friends were deleted and blocked, my crew members were deleted and the only friend and crew member i had aside from myself was the "Lightstar198" person that the email mentioned. 

I have changed everything back except the nickname because apparently you can only do that once every 365 days, which sucks.

Has anyone ever had this done to them?

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

13 minutes ago, ThatCarlosGuy said:

I have changed everything back except the nickname because apparently you can only do that once every 365 days, which sucks.

Yeah I have- I sent R* an email detailing that I had been hacked and I wanted my username changed back to before. 3 days later and it was!

If I have solved your issue, please mark the thread as solved! Thanks!

9 minutes ago, ThatCarlosGuy said:

I am aware that this isn't rockstar's own forums or anything but I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any similar problems. 

I received two emails from rockstar social club last night. Both in Russian (my language is English). I translated them using the internet and figured out that the first email was a password reset email, and the second one was a friend request from someone called 'Lightstar198'. I tried accessing my rockstar social club account and was unable to log in, due to the password reset. I reset the password again and logged in.

I found out that my name was changed to "Zmei152", language was set to russian, my friends were deleted and blocked, my crew members were deleted and the only friend and crew member i had aside from myself was the "Lightstar198" person that the email mentioned. 

Has anyone ever had this done to them?

Definitely contact Rockstar Support, and open a ticket. They will reset your username, and they should also be able to revert everything (including lost friends, crews, etc) back to before.

Change your password, and if possible, enable two-factor authentication (Don't know if Rockstar or GTAV support this).

I recommend using a good, random alphanumeric password (random letters and numbers), that is the maximum password length required. Either that, or use a long passphrase like "Bananas are blue and boxes are happy". Both will have a pretty decent entropy (difficulty of brute forcing by a computer/software).

If you use a password manager, like LastPass, those are the kinds of passwords that it generates for you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 3 years later...

So I figured out how to fix this glitch. I copied and pasted it all to a translator to find where you change language. So go to your dashboard. on the top right side there is your account name on the right of where it says dashboard when you mouse over it. Under your account name there will be 7 things listed underneath. click on the second one which is settings ( or настройки in Russian). In settings on the left side there will be all your info listed like your name, email, password and such. the very last one is language

( язык in Russian). click on it. then there will be 2 little up and down arrows you can click on to change it to English. once you change it there is a yellow writing in Russian that reads Сохранить изменения. That means save changes, so press on that and you should be good!!! I did it again to make sure and i had to reset the page once and re do it to get it to work so try that if you have problems. Enjoy!!