Hard drive for recording! HELP

ScotFox
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Then in that case I would go with a Seagate Barracuda. They're cheaper than WD Blacks but perform the same. The only difference is the warranty which is 3 vs 5 in favour of the black. Ideally you would want an SSD as that would give you better frame rates in game however if you're cash strapped, a decent hard drive will suffice. There is little point in using an SSD cache or hybrid drive. 

Hey everyone, I record gameplay using dxtory to my 1TB Western Digital Black Hard Drive. But i want to use that primarily for game storage and other things, and i want a high capacity other drive so i can use it just for recording gameplay. Should i go internal or external and what drive should i look at. It needs to be pretty fast or at least similar to one i have just now!

Thanks for all suggestions!

Leader of the Fox Army on twitch and youtube

What are you recording as far as settings? 

3 or 4tb WD.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

What are you recording as far as settings? 

Ehm, in dxtory, i record in 1280x720 @ 30Fps A 10 minute file is around 9GB.    Battlefield 4, DayZ

For recording gameplay SSD's are the way to go because of the write speed but if you dont wanna record above 720p mechanicals are fine. Don't get an external harddrive tho unless its USB3.0.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

3 or 4tb WD.

Black, Green, Red?

For recording gameplay SSD's are the way to go because of the write speed but if you dont wanna record above 720p mechanicals are fine. Don't get an external harddrive tho unless its USB3.0.

SSDs are but the file size is huge, around 9GB per 10 minutes, It would be too expensive to buy a high capacity SSD, And I record in 1080p but only rarely :D

Black, Green, Red?

Black would be good for recording.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Then in that case I would go with a Seagate Barracuda. They're cheaper than WD Blacks but perform the same. The only difference is the warranty which is 3 vs 5 in favour of the black. Ideally you would want an SSD as that would give you better frame rates in game however if you're cash strapped, a decent hard drive will suffice. There is little point in using an SSD cache or hybrid drive. 

I dont see a point in having a ssd to record videos to, because of its limited writes, only way id feel safe doing it would be if it was backed up regularly or even better in a raid array ( which for ssd-s only 0 makes sense)

Go with a barracuda and you'll be happy :D

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

I dont see a point in having a ssd to record videos to, because of its limited writes, only way id feel safe doing it would be if it was backed up regularly or even better in a raid array ( which for ssd-s only 0 makes sense)

Go with a barracuda and you'll be happy :D

Thanks very much dude!

Thanks Windspeed :D

If you did get an SSD you'd probably want to get something like an 840 Pro which is rated to take much more abuse. But honestly it's not super-important data being stored, so if it fails then it's not the end of the world.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If you did get an SSD you'd probably want to get something like an 840 Pro which is rated to take much more abuse. But honestly it's not super-important data being stored, so if it fails then it's not the end of the world.

Dude if you loose a project you worked on the whole night or even more its not fun belive me!!

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Dude if you loose a project you worked on the whole night or even more its not fun belive me!!

Agreed, but if he's just using it to record (and moves it to secure storage afterwards) then it's fine.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I would go with a seagate sv35 as its designed for viseo survalence and dvr usage which is actually quite similar to what your doing. Also their entrt level enterprise and designed to run 24/7 so their more reliable. The last bit is that they have 1TB platters (finally) so they are bloody fast.

Yes also if its a desktop you could run then in raid 1. I also use my drives as editing drives so I initially had them in raid 0 but I didn trust it and now their in raid 10.

I should note I have 4 1tb 1 platter hitachi's this is so the speed fast and so are the latency and access times.

Agreed, but if he's just using it to record (and moves it to secure storage afterwards) then it's fine.

Ok, but SSD's are not that cheap, when recoring (which means alot of writing) its not gonna last you 2 years and thats if you are lucky!+ getting them in bigger capacities is flipping expensive..

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Ok, but SSD's are not that cheap, when recoring (which means alot of writing) its not gonna last you 2 years and thats if you are lucky!+ getting them in bigger capacities is flipping expensive..

Depending on how heavy he uses it. If he's recording an average rate of ~10GB/day, then an 840 Pro will last him around Samsung's rated 5 years. However if he's writing on the order of many tens or hundreds of gigabytes per day, then it won't last long at all. In that case, a hard drive or RAID array would probably be best.