144 fps on a 1440p monitor?

Hey guys im getting a 1080 and i am wondering if i should get a 1080p 144 hz monitor or a 1440p 144 hz monitor. Obviously the 1440p one would look better but im wondering if i would be able to get 144 fps in most games. Now it should be said that with a few exceptions i only buy games that are 2 years older or more (im not paying 60 dollars for a game unless it´s the witcher 3, 20-25 max), so i would think it would be easier to get 144 fps in 1440p when i pretty much only play older games. What are your thoughts?

1440p, easier to just upgrade/SLI your card next rather than upgrading card + new monitor if you're not satisfied with 1080p in the future.

4 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

Not sure if you have heard about one of the features of PC gaming, you can adjust options to suit your needs, high fps or high visual fidelity, or even better, a compromise of both. But yeah, running a 144Hz / 1440p screen with my 980Ti is not an issue if you fiddle with your graphics options now and then.

And even when I'm not at 165fps, 100-120 is still a lot better than 60 ;) 

2 hours ago, Quibiss said:

Not sure if you have heard about one of the features of PC gaming, you can adjust options to suit your needs, high fps or high visual fidelity, or even better, a compromise of both. But yeah, running a 144Hz / 1440p screen with my 980Ti is not an issue if you fiddle with your graphics options now and then.

Yeah i have been a pc gamer for a while but never had a high end rig. But if a 980 ti is okay for 144 hz 1440p gaming a 1080 should be more than fine. Thing is that i want 144 fps (or close to it) with every game, and i was not sure if it was possible with a 1440p monitor.