Budget gaming pc in Canada (~$700, after mail in rebate)

Is this true? If so I'll prob just go for the i3

3 minutes ago, Hbrian123 said:

Is this true? If so I'll prob just go for the i3

I would not trust that.  What if the GTX 970 is the limiting factor?  He is playing at 1440p.  Chances are the GPU is hitting it's peak performance, not the CPU.  Look at the GPU usage being really high (95%+).  That keeps the FPS the same.  The CPU is not a factor a lot of the time.

SO the i3 6100 with the rx480 is a good pairing or i5 6500? 

Is the upgrade from the i3 to the i5 worth it for the money???

46 minutes ago, Hbrian123 said:

SO the i3 6100 with the rx480 is a good pairing or i5 6500?  <<<Both are good for gaming

Is the upgrade from the i3 to the i5 worth it for the money???

It is worth it if you have the money left in the budget. 

Personally I would go with the i5, I would plan for it.  I want my PC to handle a little more from time to time.  I might want to stream to Youtube or Twitch.  I usually have two monitors running stuff.

4 minutes ago, Hbrian123 said:

What motherboard would you recommend for the build you suggested? (Your build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8Gphyf )

Cheapest one.  Actually, the CDN market has an AsRock H170/USB3.1 for $75... I would grab that.  <<Actually that one is really $104.

The budget AsRock boards are the only ones that come with some VRM cooling.  That board is not really $40, it is $65.

Can I go for the evga 500w 80plus psu instead of your recommended sea sonic one? 

1 hour ago, Hbrian123 said:

Can I go for the evga 500w 80plus psu instead of your recommended sea sonic one? 

That is a much lower quality unit.  As your PC heats up, you will wear it down.  I believe that some of the capacitors are only rated for 30 degrees.  It is a risk that might work out.  Then again it might not.  If you are only saving $25, don't do it.

Should I get the gtx 1060? I've saved up money recently and I can get it. Is it compatible with my build and is it worth it over rx480 price for performance wise? 

4 hours ago, Hbrian123 said:

Should I get the gtx 1060? I've saved up money recently and I can get it. Is it compatible with my build and is it worth it over rx480 price for performance wise? 

That is ultimately up to you.  The GTX 1060 is a fine card, but it is more expensive.

For now (as in today), the GTX 1060 is a little faster, cooler, and uses less power.  You pay extra for that.

I won't say it is better to go with the 1060 though.  AMD's 480 has potential to overcome the early lead that the 1060 seems to have.  The only advantage the 480 has right now is DX12 performance (8 ACE engines to nvidia's single engine) and price.

Yeah, the 480's is cheaper but not in stock anywhere ;-; 

ESPECIALLY THE 4GB ONE!!!

Just now, Hbrian123 said:

Yeah, the 480's is cheaper but not in stock anywhere ;-; 

ESPECIALLY THE 4GB ONE!!!

You want the 8GB one.  ;)

Is it  worth it for the 4 extra gb of Vram?

1 minute ago, Hbrian123 said:

Is it  worth it for the 4 extra gb of Vram?

Hard to say.  The 8GB version is faster and more capable.  Depends on the price difference.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Seems like what I'm leaning towards atm

I honestly think the RX 480 will be the faster card in the end. 

The 480 pushed to 1700MHz beats a GTX 1060 running at 2200MHz.  If the custom RX 480s can hit 1400MHz or better you are looking at a very competitive card even if it is the same price as the GTX 1060.

tbh if it's a SLIGHT performance boost it doesn't matter that much. The gtx 1060 is instock atm and the rx480 isn't. HOnestly, I should wait but I'm and impatient bitch

tbh if it's a SLIGHT performance boost it doesn't matter that much. The gtx 1060 is instock atm and the rx480 isn't. HOnestly, I should wait but I'm and impatient bitch

Either card will provide an enjoyable gaming experience.  Best of luck hunting for deals!  :)

Just now, stconquest said:

Either card will provide an enjoyable gaming experience.  Best of luck hunting for deals!  :)

thanks dude, you've been a HUGE help!!