My laptop's GPU died

Hello,

I think my laptop's GPU died, I had the poblem of the red strips when booting, and after a wipe, I could've boot to windows but without the GPU, It still shows it on the control pannel but when I disable it (If not, I have infinite windows loading), I oppened my laptop to clean it and found a lot of thermic gum, after removing it I still had that problem

I know there a technic where you put your GPU in an oven, but I don't want to do it until I'm sure it's my last hope

Please, I don't know what to do :/

Edit :  It's an Alienware M17X R4 (The version with the AMD 7970m)

Edited by Zengane CSGO2x.com

What kind of laptop is it?

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

7 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Alienware M17x R4 (The version with the AMD 7970m), I should've precised it in my post, my bad

12 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Get a new laptop it's dead.

The Intel HD 4000 of the I7 3610 QM still works, so no

But I need the AMD 7970m, since it's the power of the laptop

2 minutes ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

in some laptops the GPU isn't a soldered on component, but is actually removable. if this is the case with your laptop, you might just be able to buy a new GPU somewhere and swap them!

5 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

in some laptops the GPU isn't a soldered on component, but is actually removable. if this is the case with your laptop, you might just be able to buy a new GPU somewhere and swap them!

It's the case with this one, but should I try to put it in an oven ? I saw many cases where the GPU worked again

3 minutes ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

It's the case with this one, but should I try to put it in an oven ? I saw many cases where the GPU worked again

If the GPU is dead, then yeah why not, be sure to pull it out before and look at Linus video for some guidance. But beware, this is only a temporary solution.

You could always look on ebay for a replacement, be sure to look for MXM video cards.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

If the GPU is dead, then yeah why not, be sure to pull it out before and look at Linus video for some guidance. But beware, this is only a temporary solution.

You could always look on ebay for a replacement, be sure to look for MXM video cards.

I want to be sure that it's dead, It's shown on the control panel but when I activate its driver I have infinite windows loading ... but when I switch to the Intel HD 4000 (By disabling the driver of the 7970) the PC works normally, but I can't really play games with the HD 4000 

4 minutes ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

I want to be sure that it's dead, It's shown on the control panel but when I activate its driver I have infinite windows loading ... but when I switch to the Intel HD 4000 (By disabling the driver of the 7970) the PC works normally, but I can't really play games with the HD 4000 

If it crashes the PC then yeah, it's most likely dead, don't know if it's fixable but it's dead. Had the same issue with a desktop PC, when using the iGPU it would boot, I could see the discreet GPU in the device manager but activating it would crash the PC. The GPU was dead.

Like I said, be aware that putting your dead GPU in the over might not bring it back, and even if it does, it will only be temporary, so if I was you, I would look for a GPU anyway.

If it crashes the PC then yeah, it's most likely dead, don't know if it's fixable but it's dead. Had the same issue with a desktop PC, when using the iGPU it would boot, I could see the discreet GPU in the device manager but activating it would crash the PC. The GPU was dead.

Like I said, be aware that putting your dead GPU in the over might not bring it back, and even if it does, it will only be temporary, so if I was you, I would look for a GPU anyway.

Thanks, I'll put it in an oven s a temporary solution (It it comes back to life ofc) and I'll be looking for a new GPU

But I still want to know about the sanitary risks, Linus adviced to use an old oven that was going to trash, but I don't have one, can I still cook in the oven where I baked the GPU ?

2 minutes ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

*snip*

can I still cook in the oven where I baked the GPU ?

technically, yeah you could, I don't see why not, after all some oven cleaner used out there are pretty toxic.

technically, yeah you could, I don't see why not, after all some oven cleaner used out there are pretty toxic.

Seems fait to me, But I'll still clean it with bleach, I don't want to intoxicate my familly !

36 minutes ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

Seems fait to me, But I'll still clean it with bleach, I don't want to intoxicate my familly !

I meant, it's probably safe since some oven cleaner are toxic and using those cleaning solutions don't cause intoxications ;)

Edited by wkdpaul
typos

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I meant, it's probably safe since some over cleaner are toxic and using those cleaning solutions don't cause intoxications ;)

Thanks for the help, I really hope that it'll work again

3 hours ago, Rodniz said:

Is there any precautions to cook a MXM GPU ?

I mean what part of the GPU should i cover before putting it into the oven ?

22 hours ago, Zengane CSGO2x.com said:

You can't get just the dedicated GPU fixed. When this kind of stuff happens just consider it dead and either get it replaced under warranty or buy a new laptop.

3 hours ago, Kilobytez95 said:

You can't get just the dedicated GPU fixed. When this kind of stuff happens just consider it dead and either get it replaced under warranty or buy a new laptop.

Considering it's a MXM, I can still replace it, and as I said the Intel HD 4000 works just fine, I'm not throwing it at all